The Ashes 2010-2011

Beachy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Beachy said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":3jqst47d]
Beachy said:
On form you seriously have to wonder how Clarke is holding onto his place

we said that about Hussey for nearly 2 years and now look, he has been our best batsmen this summer.

Doesn't mean it was the right decision & shouldn't affect anyone's thinking in Clarke's case

fair call but I guess the question who do we replace him with?

Someone with some character and a willingness to fight would be a good start[/quote:3jqst47d]

I suggest Danny Green

BTW, as bad as Hughes has been I still think he needs to be persevered with. Matt Hayden had technique problems early in his career too and look how he turned out.

If it was up to me, I'd be looking at a line up like this in the next 12 months, and I'm assuming Ponting will retire at the end of the world cup:

Hughes
Paine
Khawaja
Hussey
Clarke (c) <--- needs to pull his finger out though
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz <--- let's face it, he IS the best spinner in the country and if we insist on playing one, he's the man for now.
Harris <--- assuming he recovers well from his injury, next test isn't looking likely until August anyway
Siddle <--- don't rate him, but there's no doubt he's better than Hilfenhaus and Bollinger right now

Other contenders:
Clint McKay
Andrew McDonald
Shaun Marsh (if he continues his strong form this summer)
Trent Copeland
Steve Smith

If Clarke's form doesn't warrant selection, then I guess Haddin becomes Australia's first full time wicketkeeper captain for a while.

I reckon Harris will retires from Tests, he will be lucky if he is fit to play in the world cup... Gotta give Copeland a run IMO.

Not a bad team, although I can't stand McKay - would not include him over Bolly or Hilfy.

Otherwise it's all gravy, at least for now.

Let's hope the next gen. step up big time at state.

Bucking Beads said:
I reckon Harris will retires from Tests, he will be lucky if he is fit to play in the world cup... Gotta give Copeland a run IMO.

Harris won't play the world cup. He's out for 4 months with stress fractures.

Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:

Harris won't play the world cup. He's out for 4 months with stress fractures.

They said he might be fit but looks unlikely.

Big Pete said:
Not a bad team, although I can't stand McKay - would not include him over Bolly or Hilfy.

So you can't stand McKay so we shouldn't pick him... [icon_drun

I'd get Mckay in the side only young and is a good seam bowler. Deserves a chance if Hilfy does that is for sure.

I can't stand him because he's ordinary, not because I hate the fella, I wouldn't know him from Coxy.

Big Pete said:

Very disappointed with Hilfy's performance this series. I think he's had it.

I don't think Hilfy or Bolly are that great, but I don't think bringing McKay in is going to fix anything, in fact I'd dare say it'd be worse.

True, McKay isn't exactly setting the world on fire in shield this year either (avg 32).

Chris Swan, Butterworth and Copeland are the standouts in that competition so far.

Big Pete said:
I can't stand him because he's ordinary, not because I hate the fella, I wouldn't know him from Coxy.

well he is 27 and averages 25 with the ball which is not bad. That is better than Johnson, Bollinger Hilfy and most likely Siddle.

Stats. aren't the end all to me, it's more what they're capable of.

McKay is just ordinary, don't think he's worth the time - would rather a guy like George and I don't even think much of him.

If we pick a side with the guys who are in form from the shield this is what we get.

Robinson
Marsh
Khawaja
Lynn
Cosgrove
MCDonald
Wade
Hauritz
Butterworth
Swan
Copeland

Cameron

And so it will be the first time in history Australia has lost 3 matches in a series by an innings.

Coxy said:
And so it will be the first time in history Australia has lost 3 matches in a series by an innings.

I think that is a proper reflection of the talent difference between the two sides.

Random ramblings on the batting:

I've long defended the idea of keeping Watson at opener, despite his poor conversion rate. Mainly because that's where he's finally made his mark in the context of his career and because I think it would be handy to have a strong hitter at the top. The last thing we need at the moment is two timid openers.

But just as Watson was called into the Test team to fill in at that time, I think the time may have come for him to fill in again somewhere else for the sake of the team. I don't think he has the concentration to dig in at 3, 4 or 5, so I'd try him at 6 to take care of the real all-rounder position and see if it hampers his game at all. If not, and he's happy to bat there, it's all his for good IMO. I think we can afford to experiment with things like that now, given that we really can't sink much lower.

The problem though is finding an in-form opener from the Shield to come in and take the heat for a couple of series and looks good enough to adapt to Test Cricket over time. If Watson is shoved down the order, and Kat can't recover from his achilles, then it'll become a punt on new talent. One idea from left field would be to move Huss back up to opener to close out his career and he can guide a new fella from the Shield around.

And I don't know about Khawaja at 3 just yet (even before the current Test). At this stage of his career I'm thinking 4 is his spot. His style of batting could be handy against an older ball. Either way, we need someone at 3 who is technically solid, but also has all the shots for all conditions. Not many names come to mind at the moment. Perhaps Punter stays there until a suitable replacement is found, but gives up the skipper's job (pending pride issues).

Clarke to 5 is a must I reckon.

Lots to think about over the next 6 months, that's for sure.

Something that needs a bit of thought is how to get the shield comp back producing players ready for test selection.

Way too many contrived results with declarartions etc.

Maybe bonus points for centuries and or totals over 300 350 400 and so on for batting or more points for a first innings result. There must be some ideas out there to improve what's happening.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.