The Ashes 2010-2011

Big Pete said:
To be fair to Hughes it was a good delivery but the problem is Phil never looked comfortable at all that innings.

Beads - Fair point, unfortunately beggers can't be choosers. It might be an idea to play Hussey at opener, and just bring in a middle order bat until Hughes can check himself...before he wrecks himself.

[icon_evillaugh Loved it....

Yeah I think Hughes needs to go back to shield and fix his technique and prove he can make runs with the new technique. We know shield bowlers will bowl similar plans to him so it will be good to see what he can do. I really don't know what we can do with our openers. Watson averages 50 as an opener but he is suited to the job technique wise but not mentally. Katich has a tough road back with his injury and he is 35. Hussey could move to opener but it will only likely be for one summer. Cricket Australia just in a bad place at moment.

Thought you'd get the reference beads. [icon_razz1

Yeah you really know your national side is in trouble when you have a dead-set middle order batsmen down as a definite opener.

Well Hussey was an opener but harsh on him at 35 to go and open now. As bad as Paine's first class stats are I reckon we should put him at opener. He started his career as an opener and has not got many since moving down the order.

I see your point, it was just an idea and I like yours as well. Anything we can do to assist Hughes who is having issues handling the pressure.

The selectors need to be asked some serious questions.

Why pick Hughes at all when his form was crap all year?. Gamble

Why drop Hauritz and replace him with anyone who calls themself a spinner? Can't admit a mistake

How does Smith get selected in a test side as a batsman?

Dexter said:

Why drop Hauritz and replace him with anyone who calls themself a spinner? Can't admit a mistake

I guess the 80 Hughes scored in the Australia A game was enough

Punter can be blamed mainly for the Hauritz debacle.

Smith was averaging high 40's in first class cricket but was in bad form.

There goes Clarke.

We won't make it to Lunch tomorrow.

will be lucky to make it to the end of play today... That was just to good from Anderson.

On form you seriously have to wonder how Clarke is holding onto his place

Beachy said:

we said that about Hussey for nearly 2 years and now look, he has been our best batsmen this summer.

Bucking Beads said:
Dexter said:

Hughes was sent back to shield to tighten his technique, which he didn't, then gets picked off the back of 1 score. Bad selection and lived up to his form. Still has way too many get out shots.

Why was Punter to blame for Hauritz?

Smith I think will be a good test cricketer one day but no way is he the best available middle order batsman. A puzzling selection which needs clarification.

Bucking Beads said:
Beachy said:

we said that about Hussey for nearly 2 years and now look, he has been our best batsmen this summer.

Doesn't mean it was the right decision & shouldn't affect anyone's thinking in Clarke's case

Dexter said:
Bucking Beads said:
Dexter said:

Hughes was sent back to shield to tighten his technique, which he didn't, then gets picked off the back of 1 score. Bad selection and lived up to his form. Still has way too many get out shots.

Why was Punter to blame for Hauritz?

Smith I think will be a good test cricketer one day but no way is he the best available middle order batsman. A puzzling selection which needs clarification.

Punter was the one who wanted DOherty and had lost faith in Hauritz. Punter was the guy who set pathetic fields for Hauritz in India.

Beachy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Beachy said:

Doesn't mean it was the right decision & shouldn't affect anyone's thinking in Clarke's case

fair call but I guess the question who do we replace him with?

Ponting wanted Doherty in the team. So selectors made up a story about how Hauritz wasn't good enough.

When Doherty got tonked to bits and they had to replace him, they couldn't replace him with Hauritz because that'd be going backwards...

Agree that Hughes didn't do enough to fix his technical issues, but why wasn't there members of the Australian coaching staff MONITORING how he was going with that?

The difference between Clarke and Hussey is that Hussey's always been tenacious, with a great temperament and a willingness to dig in and fight. I've never seen Clarke show that. Ever.

Bucking Beads said:
Beachy said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2slkzfai]
Beachy said:

fair call but I guess the question who do we replace him with?[/quote:2slkzfai]

Someone with some character and a willingness to fight would be a good start

Coxy said:
Ponting wanted Doherty in the team. So selectors made up a story about how Hauritz wasn't good enough.

When Doherty got tonked to bits and they had to replace him, they couldn't replace him with Hauritz because that'd be going backwards...

Agree that Hughes didn't do enough to fix his technical issues, but why wasn't there members of the Australian coaching staff MONITORING how he was going with that?

The difference between Clarke and Hussey is that Hussey's always been tenacious, with a great temperament and a willingness to dig in and fight. I've never seen Clarke show that. Ever.

You don't watch enough cricket than do you....

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.