The Ashes 2013

The ball clearly changed direction after it went past Haddin's bat, also it sounded like a nick and there was white markon the bat from hotspot. Enough to overturn the decision for me.

I think the fact that England didn't even think he was out but only reviewed in hope is what really gets up people's noses

There's no hiding the fact Australia's top/middle order failed. Notwithstanding decent starts by Rogers and ****to in the 2nd dig, and good knocks from Smith and Hughes in the first - and Haddin showing some real ticker, it just wasn't good enough.

As you say, can't rely on the likes of Pattinson, Siddle and Agar to amass big totals.

I'd only make 2 changes. Khawaja in for Cowan. Harris in for Starc.

Couldn't agree more with everything you have said, especially the changes that's exactly the changes I would make

I think over the past five or so years Harris would be one of the first bowlers picked in any Australian test side, the only question mark at the moment is his fitness / stamina .. he's had a fair lay off and only started bowling again very late in the domestic season .. IMO the only thing holding him back in the selectors' minds would be concerns about his ability to back up for multiple spells over a five day game and or potentially breaking down.

I'd really like to see more of Jackson Bird .. I think of all the bowlers in the touring party, he bowls the most consistent channels .. and if you do that in England of all places, you'll get rewarded.

But I guess all of this bowler talk is completely superflous if the top order continues to shit itself ..

Last edited:
I think over the past five or so years Harris would be one of the first bowlers picked in any Australian test side, the only question mark at the moment is his fitness / stamina .. he's had a fair lay off and only started bowling again very late in the domestic season .. IMO the only thing holding him back in the selectors' minds would be concerns about his ability to back up for multiple spells over a five day game and or potentially breaking down.

I'd really like to see more of Jackson Bird .. I think of all the bowlers in the touring party, he bowls the most consistent channels .. and if you do that in England of all places, you'll get rewarded.

But I guess all of this bowler talk is completely superflous if the top order continues to **** itself ..

I'd be happy with Bird too, although he broke down after what, 2 tests?

And while I totally agree the batsmen need to lift their game, I can't also help but think Australia's lack of potency with the ball hurt in that second innings. Starc is too inconsistent and lacks the ability to apply pressure. Pattinson is hot headed which is good in short bursts. Siddle works hard and can tie an end down but he's not particularly threatening if there's no seam movement. Not going to judge Agar yet, he looks like he has the potential to be a wicket taking spinner.

I think Starc is a weak link in that attack.

agree with both of you
[MENTION=7690]Bull Shark[/MENTION] your right if the batters keep playing like Chris Martin then there is little the bowlers can do regardless.
[MENTION=1764]Coxy[/MENTION] agree on Starc, to me he is starting to really show that he is not a test bowler, the shorter forms definitely, probably one of our better short form bowlers but pretty average in the test arena. I'm a massive Harris fan but if the selectors arent keen on his fitness then Bird has to come in for starc, which give us a really balanced bowling line up. Bird and Sids can provide the pressure and Pattinson can rough them up. Really hoping Agar keeps his spot. Had a solid debut and provides so much more upside than Lyon.

I'd be happy with Bird too, although he broke down after what, 2 tests?

And while I totally agree the batsmen need to lift their game, I can't also help but think Australia's lack of potency with the ball hurt in that second innings. Starc is too inconsistent and lacks the ability to apply pressure. Pattinson is hot headed which is good in short bursts. Siddle works hard and can tie an end down but he's not particularly threatening if there's no seam movement. Not going to judge Agar yet, he looks like he has the potential to be a wicket taking spinner.

I think Starc is a weak link in that attack.

yeah, at 2 for 11 and 6 for 218 they should never have made 375 in that second dig .. the guys we've got leading this attack at the moment are all what I consider to be good first or second change bowlers at test level ... they're not the hard nosed leaders of an attack just yet ... Harris is probably the closest thing to that 'alpha' quick we need ... but the same could be said about Dale Steyn six or seven years ago .. he was far from the bowler and leader he is today .. hopefully some of our guys can develop in a similar way he did.

Absolutely. The biggest issue with Starc (I keep harping on him, sorry) is that he bowls far too many loose balls. So yeah, you come in and face him at 2-11 or 6-218 and chances are you'll get a few 4 balls in the next couple of overs. And the stuff in between isn't usually that threatening.

Bird, Harris, Siddle, Pattinson don't really give you that freebie as often.

It's amazing how much of a psychological boost it is for a batsman to come in when the team is in trouble and rattle off a couple of boundaries. Both of Australia's 10th wicket partnerships in the first test exemplified that.

Apparently it's official - Cowan out, Khawaja in. Starc out, Harris in.

Bulls' players didn't know the side early this morning (our time). The slope at Lord's is what brings you unstuck- it's nothing but odd and whoever comes to terms with that slope does well at Lord's bowling

Harris is the most likely I think.

The pitch is dry again and Lord's always gets better as the Test goes on. KP to try and strut his stuff on the big stage at Lord's he's done well there in the past.

Who ever suggested Harris is a genius

Great start for the Aussies

God damn I love Harris. This is great stuff, perfect way to start

great start but we've reverted to our usual wide rubbish .... England will be 3-260 by stumps

There's the typical Watson. Makes a start, gets out LBW and wastes a review. Deary me.

There's the typical Watson. Makes a start, gets out LBW and wastes a review. Deary me.

I think he was just genuinely interested to see if it was hitting any stump other than middle...:001_rolleyes:

I really want to like Watson, but the thing that frustrates me most is he gets out as he looks like he's going well.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • eggstar10
  • Manofoneway
  • Socnorb
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.