The Ashes 2013

We can't ask for much more Han the fight this team is putting up
Thrilling game

This sucks!! Broad not walking won them the game

Tough loss, but we've shown England we're going to give them a fight.

Khawaja in for Cowan, keep the rest in for the next match. I'd also think about moving Hughes to 3 with Usman at 6.

I'm still pretty proud of the fact that we almost won this match.....against all odds really.

I too think that Khawaja needs to come in for Cowan. We need to sure up that middle order as it's what cost us the most.

Apart from that we've been pretty strong in most areas.

You really shouldn't win a test match when you're 9/117 in the first innings. If it wasn't for a brilliant display by Agar on debut we would have been smashed. The lower order is not going to be able to assemble match winning runs all series. So the closeness of the result has masked some failings we have in the top/middle order. In saying that this English team is not as good as it was in 2010.

There's no hiding the fact Australia's top/middle order failed. Notwithstanding decent starts by Rogers and Twatto in the 2nd dig, and good knocks from Smith and Hughes in the first - and Haddin showing some real ticker, it just wasn't good enough.

As you say, can't rely on the likes of Pattinson, Siddle and Agar to amass big totals.

I'd only make 2 changes. Khawaja in for Cowan. Harris in for Starc.

Horse shit decision from the DRS to overturn the umpire's original call imo ... whether he nicked it or not, to overturn an umpire's 'not out' call there has to be absolutely compelling, conclusive proof that the decision was wrong ... we see it with LBWs all the time, it all hinges on the unpire's original decision - if the umpire gave it out, the ball only has to be shaving the stumps for the decision to stand, but if the original call was not out, there has to be more than 50% of the ball collecting a stump ... so to overturn a caught behind decision on a noise, when hot spot was clearly inconclusive, just sticks to me ... but then again, we just seemed destined to be ultimately fucked over by Aleem Dar and or the DRS ...

All that aside, our batting is just not good enough .. our top order is such a mish-mash of bit-part batsmen and blokes with funky, awkward techniques ... I mean is Steve Smith really one of the top six batsmen in this country ??! I find it hard to believe that our batting stocks could that barren ..

I dunno. Hot spot looked pretty conclusive to me. The noise was clear. Haddin's reaction was suspicious (instantly looking back at the keeper). It was clearly the right decision.

How many runs did Aleem Durrs error allow broad to make?

Anyway we weren't disgraced considering our best batsmen made bugger all and our bowlers were average

How many runs did Aleem Durrs error allow broad to make?

Anyway we weren't disgraced considering our best batsmen made bugger all and our bowlers were average

England would have been 7 for 295 (or a run or two either side of that) if that was called ... so fair to say we'd have been chasing quite a chunk less than 311.

I do agree the DRS on caught behinds is just not balanced right. At the moment if an umpire gives you out caught behind but hot spot shows nothing, it can be overturned. Hot spot can't be the only factor. I think if you are given out caught behind the only way to be overturned is if the footage alone conclusively shows the ball was well away from the bat.

Likewise if you're given not out, only a visible change of direction/rotation of the ball should enable the decision to be overturned. You can't even trust sound because a scrape of the spikes on the turf, or any number of other noises can be picked up.

I do agree the DRS on caught behinds is just not balanced right. At the moment if an umpire gives you out caught behind but hot spot shows nothing, it can be overturned. Hot spot can't be the only factor. I think if you are given out caught behind the only way to be overturned is if the footage alone conclusively shows the ball was well away from the bat.

Likewise if you're given not out, only a visible change of direction/rotation of the ball should enable the decision to be overturned. You can't even trust sound because a scrape of the spikes on the turf, or any number of other noises can be picked up.

and that's why it was wrong that Haddin was hung on that evidence imo ... there's a lot of creaking and cracking noises that can emenate from cricket gear when you take a swing at a ball ..

I just thought there was enough 'doubt' to uphold the original decision .. the hot spot image was unclear and to me that tiny skerrick of white on the inside edge didn't coincide with the ball passing the bat.

I like this guy's ideas:
Tactical DRS - An Assassin's Guide | Cricket

But what if batsmen referrals were eliminated completely? What if every time an umpire gave a batsman out, it automatically went to the third umpire to confirm? The confirmation would take place exactly as if a batsman had reviewed an out decision under the current system. The assumption would be that the batsman was out until there was overwhelming evidence to show otherwise. Balls would have to be missing the stumps by a significant margin, or pitching clearly outside leg, or the gap between bat and ball would need to be huge. The usual stuff.
Admittedly, this would add some time to the game. But how much, really? Umpires are already checking for no balls on a regular basis after a batsman has been dismissed. Why not go all the way and check every aspect of every out decision? Under this system, if the on-field umpire’s made a mistake that the third umpire can pick up, every batsman from one to eleven gets the opportunity for a reprieve.
To complement this change, you switch to the penalty runs rule for failed fielding team reviews. Now, a fielding team can review to their collective hearts’ content, but every time they get it wrong, a fixed number of runs gets added to the Extras of their opposition.

Yep, I can't fault it. The only negative impact would be the stifled euphoria of an "out" decision.
The other positive impact is it takes away the entire "walking" issue.

Unread

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • whykickamoocow
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Volvo Driver
  • Harry Sack
  • Bish
  • Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • Allo
  • mrslong
  • Wolfie
  • Broncs1459
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Waynesaurus
  • Scorchie
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.