The BHQ Honesty session

Waste of time session is what it should be called.

If we smack the Rabbits tomorrow night, these complaints disappear. Suddenly Bennett is focussed, our forwards and halves are firing and all of a sudden we are scratching our heads wondering whst IBM was concerned about...
Not necessarily true. It'll just be a win in a inconsistent season so far. I won't be getting excited until we string together a few dominating wins with the entire team playing like the Broncos consistently.

Way too inconsistent. He can have a great game against the likes of the Warriors 2 weeks ago then goes MIA against the Storm.
This is the problem when there is no perspective in this type of threads, where mud is slung at anything and everything...

He's no more inconsistent than any other prop at his age, although he probably was our best forward when you add the last 3 rounds. Where were you when that happened?

Now, on the topic at hand...

When it comes to a team's performance, the buck has to stop with its coach. Now, I definitely don't spare Wayne, but some of the latest criticism is absolutely over the top.

- He probably knows more about the game than the whole of BroncosHQ combined.
- He's the best mentor any player could want in Rugby League, which is why most want to play under him.
- The old fox is a master at puppeteering the media and protecting his players, which reinforces the above.
- I cannot fault the way he generally brings youth through the ranks and into the NRL. (If I don't even blame him for letting Taylor go when he did, why should I blame him for Arrow, much less Wallace, whose departure was pretty much consensual.)
- His game plan is pretty simple and any team with a few stars will generally perform well under him, and win more games than they lose. There is a reason the Broncos have earned the tag of being a team that won't beat themselves, and Bennett deserves most of the credit for that.

All of the above make him the best Footy Manager on the planet, but he's no longer a great coach IMO. Some of this is personal preference, because despite its general efficacy, I don't like how Bennett teams have mostly played since pretty much 2000.

- Tactically, he hasn't been great in a long time. Outside of the Dragons 2010 (where he had the perfect roster for his game plan), no Bennett teams has consistently been the competition benchmark in this millennium. 2006, 2008 and 2015 were the result of a combination of top players at their best, extra motivation and purple patches at the right time, much like the 2011 Broncos under the maligned Griffin.
- His biggest fault (outside of Boyd) is imo, that instead of adapting, he imposes his game plan to his roster, whether it suits it or not. And I cannot imagine it being anything other than stubbornness, comfort, and perhaps (understandable) arrogance, because his (deserved) standing in the game makes him almost invulnerable.
- Boyd is his, and by proxy, the Broncos' kryptonite. Their relationship will never allow for objectivity on his part, and the team suffers for it, both in the cap (that contract is absolutely ridiculous) and the field (any other player performing like that, or even slightly better, would've been axed by Bennett).

That said, I completely disagree with the doom and gloom, or the thought our roster is weak.
I don't think it's a premiership winning side (until we have a proper game manager), but it is a young quality roster in a transitional state that certainly has plenty of potential and will improve with experience.
I may not agree with some selections (Boyd and Sims being the most obvious), but I definitely also see progress in this team.
The Warrions game was quite good, and so was last week's defeat at the hands of a really well drilled team, who had every bounce of the ball going their way, and another novel disgusting refereeing decision going against us (Lyon's Torso try, Gillett's "Offside" sin-bin, and now Slater's drop-kick try).

Finally, despite my criticisms of Bennett, there aren't many other coaches out there I would trade him for, because he simply brings incredible value to the Broncos.
I just really would like to see him in a more supervisory/managerial role, with a more daring/modern autonomous coach directing the team on the paddock.

P.S. Thaiday is a special case, and I can live with him having his swan song in a Broncos jersey. He has served the club well for many years, and may even bring some much needed motivation towards the end of the season.

Last edited:
I still don't understand what people see wrong with Ofahengaue. He's sort of like Wallace IMO, he'll start to peak later, but he still contributes well even now.

I can even see plenty of improvement from the start of the season to now, he’s really stepped up in the last few weeks with a few extra minutes and quality touches.

This is the problem when there is no perspective in this type of threads, where mud is slung at anything and everything...

He's no more inconsistent than any other prop at his age, although he probably was our best forward when you add the last 3 rounds. Where were you when that happened?

When it comes to a team's performance, the buck has to stop with its coach. Now, I definitely don't spare Wayne, but some of the latest criticism is absolutely over the top.

- He's the best mentor any player could want in Rugby League, which is why most want to play under him.
- The old fox is a master at puppeteering the media and protecting his players, which reinforces the above.
- I cannot fault the way he generally brings youth through the ranks and into the NRL. (If I don't even blame him for letting Taylor go when he did, why should I blame him for Arrow, much less Wallace, whose departure was pretty much consensual.)
- His game plan is pretty simple and any team with a few stars will generally perform well under him, and win more games than they lose. There is a reason the Broncos have earned the tag of being a team that won't beat themselves, and Bennett deserves most of the credit for that.

All of the above make him the best Footy Manager on the planet, but he's no longer a great coach IMO. Some of this is personal preference, because despite its general efficacy, I don't like how Bennett teams have mostly played since pretty much 2000.

- Tactically, he hasn't been great in a long time. Outside of the Dragons 2010 (where he had the perfect roster for his game plan), no Bennett teams has consistently been the competition benchmark in this millennium. 2006, 2008 and 2015 were the result of a combination of top players at their best, extra motivation and purple patches at the right time, much like the 2011 Broncos under the maligned Griffin.
- His biggest fault (outside of Boyd) is imo, that instead of adapting, he imposes his game plan to his roster, whether it suits it or not. And I cannot imagine it being anything other than stubbornness, comfort, and perhaps (understandable) arrogance, because his (deserved) standing in the game makes him almost invulnerable.
- Boyd is his, and by proxy, the Broncos' kryptonite. Their relationship will never allow for objectivity on his part, and the team suffers for it, both in the cap (that contract is absolutely ridiculous) and the field (any other player performing like that, or even slightly better, would've been axed by Bennett).

That said, I completely disagree with the doom and gloom, or the thought our roster is weak.
I don't think it's a premiership winning side (until we have a proper game manager), but it is a young quality roster in a transitional state that certainly has plenty of potential and will improve with experience.
I may not agree with some selections (Boyd and Sims being the most obvious), but I definitely also see progress in this team.
The Warrions game was quite good, and so was last week's defeat at the hands of a really well drilled team, who had every bounce of the ball going their way, and another novel disgusting refereeing decision going against us (Lyon's Torso try, Gillett's "Offside" sin-bin, and now Slater's drop-kick try).

Finally, despite my criticisms of Bennett, there aren't many other coaches out there I would trade him for, because he simply brings incredible value to the Broncos.
I just really would like to see him in a more supervisory/managerial role, with a more daring/modern autonomous coach directing the team on the paddock.

P.S. Thaiday is a special case, and I can live with him having his swan song in a Broncos jersey. He has served the club well for many years, and may even bring some much needed motivation towards the end of the season.

I could not agree more with this post. While I may have been pretty negative for the start of the year having the likes of Milf, TPJ, Roberts and Bird in our side just keeps me coming back. We may be stuck in the past tactically but we do have the roster to pull something out of our ass and play some damn exciting footy.

Can we make this a sticky? Because it is bang on.

One of the best posts I've read on these forums. Sums our situation up perfectly IMO. Keep em' coming mate.

Way too inconsistent. He can have a great game against the likes of the Warriors 2 weeks ago then goes MIA against the Storm.

How many games has he played??

**** we are quick to write players off.

Did anyone click onto this thread thinking it was going to be an honesty sesh about us? The posters?

Seems to have ended up that way.

Yep. Fully thought this is what it was and opened expecting to Broncos4life is just a fucking smart arse and isn’t as cool as he thinks he is. Sort of disappointed it wasn’t.

I often make poor decisions driven by ego, frustration, and a lack of sleep.

Oh shit, sorry, not that kind of Honesty Session thread.

Honestly, the Broncos are doing better than some people would like to believe, and worse than others would like to believe.

Did you even watch the Storm game?

You know who Ofahengaue is, right?

I didn't like that every time we'd get a penalty in the Storms ten, Ofa would take a simple hit up and gain 10 metres and did absolutely nothing with it. I think there were four in a row at one point. So he added 40 nothing metres to make his stats look better. Otherwise he was pretty good.

I think a few people are still hung up on that drop ball off the tap a few weeks ago.

I think big joe should be spared some of the wrath, he’s been quiet solid for us so far. Comes on and gets through a lot of work and has been playing some big minutes too.

And as for the whole McGuire wasting our fourth tackle thing I’m positive it’s a game plan and he’s just taking orders from above. Not at all suggesting McGuire isn’t “dumb” but I don’t think he comes pushing his way in and steals a hit up ruining a planned set play. The guy is just doing as he’s told.
Really? I always thought he was RLs version of a rocket scientist.

I didn't like that every time we'd get a penalty in the Storms ten, Ofa would take a simple hit up and gain 10 metres and did absolutely nothing with it. I think there were four in a row at one point. So he added 40 nothing metres to make his stats look better. Otherwise he was pretty good.

I think a few people are still hung up on that drop ball off the tap a few weeks ago.
That's a point, but he's still a young player. Im sure he's been told to just run it. Chances are, a player like lodge or tevita wasnt available for whatever reason. Better a no frills run than players trying to do something from a standing start, like sometimes happens. His offloads will come with more experience and confidence.
I think we need to be doing hit ups from much deeper runs in the twenty, but that goes across the whole forward pack. It's why Oates looks so good with his. He's built momentum before hit the advantage line.

3. Overpaid marque players. I struggle to argue with the point with Milford but would suggest, he still has plenty of development in him. No one else is on extravagant pay. You might say boyd, but a couple of years ago he was good enough to be chosen ahead of billy slater for qld. Injury can be cruel, but he still offers more than a few other fullbacks out there and he price (like thaiday) is cost of a great player (albeit one that seems to be fading). Throw your leaders on the scrap heap and fill the team with youngsters and watch us turn into Parramatta.

How can I say this tactfully? Hmmmm give up. Milfords body shape and ethnicity suggests to me he is already well passed his best as a ball runner. If he can developing much better ball-playing and game management skills and still have a decent running game I will bow once again to Wayne's foresight. The clock is ticking and it's not looking like I will be bowing to Wayne, (figuratively or literally) anytime soon.

I actually had a bit of a rest from this place because of the threads like this that are popping up more and more.

You watch the footy on fox sports and you here Paul Kent, m johns and Tallis hammering the club and coach, channel 9 it's the same thing with Gould and co, the radio the same, and the newspapers. Everywhere...

You think to yourself, I'll come onto the broncos forum to get some perspective so it's not just people who hate the broncos commenting on the broncos....... but, all you get is the same crap regurgitated...

We are 10 th after 7 rounds... SEVEN ROUNDS... we finished 3rd last year, even if we didn't look like winning the premiership it isn't a bad season for a club in supposed crisis. We had Macca, bird, milf, sims, Boyd, and more miss most or all of the off season and we had the lodge situation. We have played 2 poor games, yes, but this constant doomsday crap after every loss has to stop. It's bloody boring. Go support the eels, the warriors or any of the other 10 clubs we've outperformed year after year in the last 3 years. The same era where their is a strict salary cap and they are now even putting in a football department cap because they are so intent on NOT having big clubs dominate. And don't say "but the storm/cowboys" because if the broncos or Bennett had c smith or Thurston in their team I can guarantee we would have won more then 1 (cowboys) or 2 (storm) premierships in those 12 years we haven't. GUARANTEED.

Every year the players we lose look great at their new clubs but they were shit at ours? If you put bon scott into the local pub band the whole band will improve but Bon Scott would stil look a lot better. These players are good BECAUSE they have played with us, they bring the standard set at our club to these clubs. If we start getting into bidding wars to keep all these players we will become these shitty little clubs that pay overs for them. It works out for those clubs 1/1000 times, and the joy is only ever short lived.

Agreed. The fact that we've been able to turn around so quickly after Hook, Henjak, and Hunt's (I'll get to him below) reigns of terror is a huge credit to Wayne and this squad. If we can get Bellamy on board after Wayne gives it up we'll be winning competitions (plural) over the next ten years as teams like the Storm and Cows cope with losing their once in a generation players.

Hunt. He's comparable to Henjak and Hook because he bent us over in the 2015 GF by not only dropping the ball and choking like a dog in the last ten mins of regular time, but also going MIA throughout the game as Milford produced a heroic performance that really deserved a CCM. He then ruined us by playing like a spud in '16 and '17 as he coped with being broken mentally, and cost us a real shot at the comp in those years, but still Bennett got behind him until it was clear that he wasn't coming good. If he had taken the cash and run before the club staked its entire future on him we would be in a far better position today. It would've been impossible to know this back then though, so I don't blame Wayne.

Hearing the comms last night get all hot and bothered every time Hunt even touched the ball was sickening. He really hasn't changed all the much since he played with us (his kicking game is still very, VERY average), he's in a better headspace, but I'm not crying that he's gone.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • mieko
  • ettybay
  • Jedhead
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncos4life
  • broncsgoat
  • MrMoore
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.