NEWS The catch in Pangai Jr's Broncos deal

How can TPJ only give thanks to WB in his rise to nrl. That is really pissing me off and if he only wants to sign for 1 year he should just **** off.
wow what an overreaction

Tbf to Jimmy, his achillies injury held him back massively almost all year. I lost count the amount of the times a saw him hobbling back to the changing rooms after a game because of it. It's something we need to sort out because a fully fit Roberts is a quality player.
Thought I saw a pic of him in a hospital bed with his leg in plaster not all that long ago. Perhaps all good for next year.

Thought I saw a pic of him in a hospital bed with his leg in plaster not all that long ago. Perhaps all good for next year.

Think that was his knee though

So TPJ is currently a free agent, he can sign a 12 month extension with us now, then come Nov 1 this year he can lock up where he will be in 2020 (potentially another club)
Im really hoping that isn’t what he is planning, but honestly can’t see him sticking around post WB.
If I were the Broncos it’d be a minimum 2yr offer otherwise there is a potential we are going to miss out on locking up one of our young guns.

So TPJ is currently a free agent, he can sign a 12 month extension with us now, then come Nov 1 this year he can lock up where he will be in 2020 (potentially another club)
Im really hoping that isn’t what he is planning, but honestly can’t see him sticking around post WB.
If I were the Broncos it’d be a minimum 2yr offer otherwise there is a potential we are going to miss out on locking up one of our young guns.

He can't sign with anyone for next year until November 1. he has a dispute with his management company and needs to wait for his contract to expire with them before signing his next deal

It’s disrespectful to the broncos imo and I thought very highly of him as a club player and honest person.
You do realise that if it wasn’t for Bennett, he’d probably still be running around in Canberra?

It’s disrespectful to the broncos imo and I thought very highly of him as a club player and honest person.

He has stated all along he isn’t going anywhere and wants to re-sign with the Broncos and that is what this is about. How is that either dishonest or disrespectful?

On Nov 1 or shortly thereafter this will be comfirmed. The only uncertainty now is precisely how long this contract will be.

We don’t even know how long or for much it ‘will’ be at this stage. May well be only a one year extension. I’d say it’s a tad premature to worry about the one after this one...

The comment about finding salary cap room in particular shows that staying beyond another year is a matter for negotiation and in his case with no formal management, seems like a pretty smart move to me...

Last edited:
He can't sign with anyone for next year until November 1. he has a dispute with his management company and needs to wait for his contract to expire with them before signing his next deal
Understand that, however, nothing is stopping him from signing 2 deals come Nov 1. He could potentially sign with us for 12m and also sign with another club for 2020 and beyond.

Feels a lot more like Bennett wanting to take TPJ with him than Bennett wanting to marginally increase the net value of Tevita's first significant contract.

That's an assumption with absolutely no basis apart from finding a way to look at it negatively. Bennett is on record as advising players to do this very thing in the past.

Bennett will be more appealing to more clubs if he states that TPJ will follow..
Smart on behalf of WB and TPJ if this is the case

I reckon Bennett wants to retire but on his terms. Surely he’s had enough.

TPJ won't follow Bennett. Where's Benny going to end up? Not Wests apparently, and he wouldn't go near Manly. Which leaves South Sydney, who might be a chance but why would you follow a coach that has 1-2 years left? Then what? Bennett isn't 50 anymore.

I'd be staying with the best forward pack in the comp, imo

TPJ won't follow Bennett. Where's Benny going to end up? Not Wests apparently, and he wouldn't go near Manly. Which leaves South Sydney, who might be a chance but why would you follow a coach that has 1-2 years left? Then what? Bennett isn't 50 anymore.

I'd be staying with the best forward pack in the comp, imo
Best we can hope for next year is that Wayne reiterates that fact to TPJ, stick with this promising young group of forwards and create something special.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • Lostboy
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • BruiserMk1
  • Behold
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • upthehorse
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.