The Corey Oates Incident

Sunday footy show spent more time arguing about this than discussing either of the games. Fittler and Lewis reckon play on. Johns and Alana reckon stop play.

Sunday footy show spent more time arguing about this than discussing either of the games. Fittler and Lewis reckon play on. Johns and Alana reckon stop play.

Typical. Should have spent five minutes exploring and appreciating our defensive effort, instead of letting Fittler have a platform for an obviously biased sook.

Typical. Should have spent five minutes exploring and appreciating our defensive effort, instead of letting Fittler have a platform for an obviously biased sook.

He didn't seem bitter. He actually tipped us to beat the Storm.

He didn't seem bitter. He actually tipped us to beat the Storm.

He backed an upset, yeah. But you can't say he wasn't hung up on it. Not bitter per se, but it obviously bothered him and I'm guessing a lot of that was because it was Penrith.

People get ko'd often in this sport. I can't remember play being halted in that way before. Like I said originally I know I'm going to be in the minority, but still think Penrith can feel hard done by in that instance.
How many times have you seen a player run into their own team mate, knocking the ball on into them and being knocked out like that? You're conveniently forgetting the rules that others have pointed out to attempt to get your point of view over.

How many times have you seen a player run into their own team mate, knocking the ball on into them and being knocked out like that? You're conveniently forgetting the rules that others have pointed out to attempt to get your point of view over.

They didn't stop the play because he knocked the ball into milf. They stopped because he was injured and I disagree that they should have. I also highly doubt that had it gone to review they would have overturned the try due to an accidental offside.

They didn't stop the play because he knocked the ball into milf. They stopped because he was injured and I disagree that they should have. I also highly doubt that had it gone to review they would have overturned the try due to an accidental offside.
But they had numerous reasons to stop play, some down to the referees perception and some down to legitimate rules. I wouldn't be happy if my team could only score tries when half of the opposition team is more concerned with their unconscious team mate.

We won't know for sure what the correct decision should have been until we hear what Gould has to say on the matter.

I also highly doubt that had it gone to review they would have overturned the try due to an accidental offside.

Except that would have made the try invalid, as the play was dead then and there meaning the Panthers are not entitled to pick up the ball and run.

Panthers weren't robbed of shit and they have absolutely no right to feel hard done by.

That's the rules.

People get ko'd often in this sport. I can't remember play being halted in that way before. Like I said originally I know I'm going to be in the minority, but still think Penrith can feel hard done by in that instance.
It has, including in Origin, and should be. An unconscious person is by definition in a life threatening situation where seconds matter. That is textbook!

I get the feeling that the result of Oates injury, as opposed to its symptoms at the time, are being used as the ultimate reasoning for those disagreeing with the decision.
In this case, Oates hit his head violently, fell uncontrolled face down and convulsing. It really doesn't get much worse than that...

If he doesn't play i know he cant help it but it will piss me off because the last 3 encounters or so with Storm Oates hasn't played and that the tall bastard Suli has made Pearson, Mead, Kodi look like little kids defending against him.

Penrith can't feel hard done by. They were on the back foot, and the dropped ball was in no part due to their good play. If Oates was conscious he would have regained possession.

Sportsmanship and honor dictate that play should have stopped even voluntarily by the Panthers.

I'm going to play the devils advocate. Should of been play on. If the roles were reversed where the ref stopped play before a guaranteed Broncos try, Broncos fans would be livid. The whole stadium would be booing.

Got to be honest, I thought Oates was dead. Can't get that sound out of my head.

Personally, I got angry at the Penrith players tip toeing in to steal the ball like they didn't want to wake them up - cats.

It has, including in Origin, and should be. An unconscious person is by definition in a life threatening situation where seconds matter. That is textbook!

I get the feeling that the result of Oates injury, as opposed to its symptoms at the time, are being used as the ultimate reasoning for those disagreeing with the decision.
In this case, Oates hit his head violently, fell uncontrolled face down and convulsing. It really doesn't get much worse than that...

Doesn't help the kids want to play the game!

I'm going to play the devils advocate. Should of been play on. If the roles were reversed where the ref stopped play before a guaranteed Broncos try, Broncos fans would be livid. The whole stadium would be booing.

I strongly disagree with this. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I would not have been aggrieved if situations were reversed. In fact I would be disappointed in our players if they continued on like Penrith and showed no regard for the person or situation.

If I was a Panthers fan, I'd be ropeable in the heat of the moment but after realising the situation I wouldn't give a shit about the game. Player safety is paramount. Besides which, surely they'd refer it to the Bunker to see how the ball came out at which point the accidental offside would have been revealed. Or does "play the advantage" come in under those circumstances?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.