The Corey Oates Incident

Players used to wack on the headgear for a couple of games after a decent knock to the scone. If he passes all the tests and feels good stick a helmet on him and game on.

The brain surgeon has his say, fwiw.

He has a point, though.

If the NRL are serious about player welfare then anyone that gets knocked out in a game should sit out a week whether they like it or not.

'Last Boys scout' opening scene... watch from 3.12. NRL soft...If refs didn't stop this, no way they should have stopped for Oates. PS if there's someone tech savy that could just embed the video would be appreciated

He has a point, though.

If the NRL are serious about player welfare then anyone that gets knocked out in a game should sit out a week whether they like it or not.
You can't really put a blanket rule in place it should be up to the team's doctor to decide if they play or not. As they are the ones that take on the responsibilities.

I think the NRL should be able to request a copy of the medical assessment for situations they may see as dubious ie if Oates is named to play this weekend they could request an explanation as to why he's been cleared after such a serious looking incident and if their independent doctor doesn't agree they could fine the broncos, etc.

I've read previously that there is no such thing as a minor concussion or serious concussion. All concussions are dangerous so just because it looks bad doesn't mean a lesser looking incident isn't more detrimental.

Rubbish. Balls on the ground, entitled to pick it up and run. Should have been play on and a Penrith try.

And I suppose Melbourne should have played on and scored after they crippled Alex McKinnon?

Seriously, there is a player lying prone, clearly seriously injured, and you think it's play on?

Play is stopped every day of the week in that situation, and everyone knows it - it's so obvious that even the bloody Panthers themselves aren't saying it's wrong!

Play is ALWAYS stopped in cases of severe injury, and anyone who hasn't seen that happening hasn't watched much rugby league

And I suppose Melbourne should have played on and scored after they crippled Alex McKinnon?

Seriously, there is a player lying prone, clearly seriously injured, and you think it's play on?

Play is stopped every day of the week in that situation, and everyone knows it - it's so obvious that even the bloody Panthers themselves aren't saying it's wrong!

Play is ALWAYS stopped in cases of severe injury, and anyone who hasn't seen that happening hasn't watched much rugby league

Apples and oranges. Oates ran into his own player, dropped the ball and Penrith were in the clear. McKinnon was spear tackled onto his head so not even close.

Apples and oranges. Oates ran into his own player, dropped the ball and Penrith were in the clear. McKinnon was spear tackled onto his head so not even close.

The tackle as a whole on McKinnon was more dangerous but the reality is Oates had little to no time to pull out in that situation and the head collision made it necessary to stop because at the end of the day the referee and more importantly the game has a duty of care to make sure the players welfare comes first in situations where its utterly clear that player needs the most attention. As a person who has suffered from head concussions, diagnosed with epilepsy and suffered injuries as a result from that it's the upmost importance for those around you to make sure your looked after correctly right then and there, a lot can happen in a very short period of time. I can tell you now its pretty hard to fake a real seizure or a heavy concussion.

At the end of the day the referee made the right call and that is what counts.

Last edited:

Not even close?

Both players injured in an incident, and lying prone on the turf

In terms of player welfare they are identical

Not even close?

Both players injured in an incident, and lying prone on the turf

In terms of player welfare they are identical

I'd say what he's getting at is the blowing of the whistle.......Oates was friendly fire, McKinnon's was from an illegal tackle. You're right however, in terms of player welfare, they're identical.

I'd say what he's getting at is the blowing of the whistle.......Oates was friendly fire, McKinnon's was from an illegal tackle. You're right however, in terms of player welfare, they're identical.

To be fair, the tackle on McKinnon wasn't actually illegal at the time.

I don't think it even is now. It's just held is called when a players legs are lifted now.

To be fair, the tackle on McKinnon wasn't actually illegal at the time.

I don't think it even is now. It's just held is called when a players legs are lifted now.

No, but a penalty was blown wasn't it? Or was it a case of the players realised and signaled?

Watching NRL 360 and they just showed the interview of Wayne slamming the critics for giving Oates the green light to play.

Kent's response? He was being a big bully, trying to dictate what the media writes up because he doesn't like the narrative that's going on around the club..

Did Wayne take a big runny turd in his weetbix or something?

Watching NRL 360 and they just showed the interview of Wayne slamming the critics for giving Oates the green light to play.

Kent's response? He was being a big bully, trying to dictate what the media writes up because he doesn't like the narrative that's going on around the club..

Did Wayne take a big runny turd in his weetbix or something?

He's pissed because Wayne knows how the media works, and refuses to play the game, so Kent and his buddies are left feeling impotent.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • BroncsNBundy
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Horseheadsup
  • Yem
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • pennywisealfie
  • Browny
  • Battler
  • Manifesto
  • Fatboy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Strop
  • Waynesaurus
  • Behold
... and 68 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.