The Corey Oates Incident

Accidental offside : Where the Referee is satisfied that interference with play by an offside player is accidental he should order a scrum.

As usual Freaky is spot on, end of.
I don't mean to brag but I am pretty sure I said it before him

From a football perspective, where did this play go so wrong? Because it looked extremely dumb.

I can see that Oates was trying to run a line past Milf's inside shoulder, but how did they mess up the timing so bad? Did CLeary catching Milf slow him down?

If I was a Panthers fan, I'd be ropeable in the heat of the moment but after realising the situation I wouldn't give a shit about the game. Player safety is paramount. Besides which, surely they'd refer it to the Bunker to see how the ball came out at which point the accidental offside would have been revealed. Or does "play the advantage" come in under those circumstances?
I'm fairly certain the advantage would have been played if Oates hadn't been hurt.

From a football perspective, where did this play go so wrong? Because it looked extremely dumb.

I can see that Oates was trying to run a line past Milf's inside shoulder, but how did they mess up the timing so bad? Did CLeary catching Milf slow him down?

I think Oates was always intending to stay outside Milford, but with Cleary coming Milford had to keep moving outside (already in danger of getting tangled with Oates), and then Cleary actually bumps Milford fully in to Oates' direct path.

Milford running sideways in front of his winger who had already scored a try by running through a hole. He was confident he could do it again and Milfords speed changed leading the timing to be well off.

I don't think Oates had accounted for Milf's gravitational pull tbh.

Poor timing, IMO.

I think Milford and Oates were going to collide either way, despite the hit from Cleary.

giphy.gif

I don't think Oates had accounted for Milf's gravitational pull tbh.

Absolutely this. In fact, it's why it was so difficult for Hunt and Milford to combine in attack on the one side. Pudgy Hunt and Maccas Milf just couldn't overcome gravitational physics.

Orbit5.gif

Poor timing, IMO.

I think Milford and Oates were going to collide either way, despite the hit from Cleary.

giphy.gif
Looking at that angle, Milf was meant to pull up on the 20m marker and Oates would be very hard to stop if he hits that hole.

Looking at that angle, Milf was meant to pull up on the 20m marker and Oates would be very hard to stop if he hits that hole.

I thought that Milf was doing a double switch, like how Benji did the same thing with Oates against the Raiders.

Poor timing, IMO.

giphy.gif
Looking at that vision Oates picked the wrong hole (giggity)... he should have continued on his line and hit where katoa was coming from CHN was trying to make up ground

Milf had worked it right in that he got katoa interested but cleary also got interested and fucked the timing up of everyone.

In saying that milf could've straightened up and put oates through the gap he ended up trying to take.

Just poor communication or realisation from both players.

Just another incident of the commentators fueling the news cycle for the next week. It is bullshit controversy generated to allow the talking heads to have something to spin for the news cycle. Without it these nubs have nothing to talk about. They have no passion for the game. The roosters coach is right. The commentators are ruining the game with their tripe they call journalism. Oats was in a bad way the game had to be stopped to make sure he got the treatment he required. End of fucking story.

Except that would have made the try invalid, as the play was dead then and there meaning the Panthers are not entitled to pick up the ball and run.

Panthers weren't robbed of shit and they have absolutely no right to feel hard done by.

That's the rules.

Mate, I agree with your take on the ruling. I am just not sure about the comment about the Panthers though. I have not seen anything from them that alleges that they were robbed. In fact I saw an interview with Hook where he went out of his way to say that none of Penrith players, coaching staff or the club would be criticizing the refs. He also made the point that the incident happened in the 20th minute.

I believe kudos to them for taking that approach, and the uproar appears to be more media related (as usual).

However, Triple M's Gorden Tallis told Triple M Sunday NRL, Oates should be automatically stood down due to the sickening nature of the collision.
"If this was boxing, he would be out for six weeks, minimum," Tallis said.

The brain surgeon has his say, fwiw.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.