The Corey Oates Issue.

What? You think the Broncos might offer him a 7 year contract which just may include the possibility of Oates being completely spent at the extreme old age of 31? Yep, something to worry about! It would've probably have been better had you simply wrote 'I posted a dumb thing' in your following post.

I actually didn’t realise he was only 24.
It was dumb not to check that first.
Anyway I hope he stays.
We must be getting close to our cap limit though.

500K a season with a few incentives built in if he achieves some goals and targets along the way would be more than fine for a guy who is in amongst the best few guys to play his position.

Last edited:
I think hes possibly carrying an injury and the current halves and fullback combination is not working.

His runs early in sets are fantastic and bring good meters. Its not his fault the ball isn't getting out wide to him or in a position for him to chase the ball. Give him a break, he cant make kicks from the halves and or get backline sets going himself when on the wing.

Last edited:
Not worth the Money imo, from next year onwards replace him with Coates put the money towards a decent 6 or 7 to work with Dearden.

He made sense when Milford was there, but he takes too much cap imo for our game plan given our forward pack now.

Last edited:
Anyway I hope he stays.

It does seem like he's been around for ages.

Just teach him to catch so we can actually use his height for something.

Further to this, I challenge ANYBODY to perform at their best when they’ve just had their first child...
Funny, my baby girl makes me a better man, father, husband, I’m more than comfortably saying “ challenge accepted! “

Yep it's crazy. Oates was the wonderkind last year. He gets injured, plays through with a form soump and instead of being rewarded for his courage he is touted as not worth keeping. Come on guys, don't be such bitches. Oatesy epitomises the kind of man the NRL needs. Someone kids can look up to that always has a cool head, never gets in fights and is always smiling and holds great interviews. We can offer him unders and the TPAs will take care of the rest. But we still need to pay him what he deserves.
What’s really funny is if there’s a consistent standard of what fans want?
All the good words you put in for Oates can be used on Boyd too, and he’s a mentally stronger man with his background, but we still criticize him.
You can’t use off-field show to defend your performance on the field! Which I thought everyone would easily get it.
Nobody here accuse Oates of being a bad guy, but most of us just don’t like his performance for the past month.

Funny, my baby girl makes me a better man, father, husband, I’m more than comfortably saying “ challenge accepted! “

it may make you better, but are you saying you weren't exhausted, when she was a new born, with the interrupted sleep etc ... and your not a professional sportsman which would zap his energy even more

Nobody here accuse Oates of being a bad guy, but most of us just don’t like his performance for the past month.

and his performances that were lower than the lofty heights expected of him for ONE MONTH, is enough for you to throw the guy on the scrap heap ...

Reminds me abit of Gagai over the last few years. He's a world beater when the spotlight is on him but if he's disinterested he's genuinely shit. In terms of consistency he wouldn't be in the top 5 wingers in the comp.

I don't think he's currently (or ever been) worth the kind of money that he's demanding. Although it would be a loss if he left, I think we could replace him.

Oates has been far too good for us to throw him on the trash heap after one average season. If we can keep him and Fifita than Oates re-signing is a must.

I'm Hoping Coates and Herbie stick around because it looks like our 2,4 and 5 positions are locked up for the forseeable future.

lol Can't these pro athletes plan for their child to come in cricket season?

Anyway I hope he stays.
Good stuff man. Ownership ! ****, wish there were more like you.

Having Boyd at fullback was the best thing for Oates.

It might not have been what was best for the side, but it was what was best for Oates. Milford just doesn't know how to use the left side as well as Boyd.

Until that changes, Oates will continue to be quiet.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.