The Corey Oates Issue.

how quickly Broncos fans turn on a player

Other side of that. How quickly Broncos fans are prepared to put up with player who has sucked at his job all year, because he was good last year, and he seems like a nice guy.

He has played like shit for most of the year. He doesn't deserve any form of praise. He deserves to be dropped, to remind him that to play in first grade, you have to play like a first grader.

Having Boyd at fullback was the best thing for Oates.

It might not have been what was best for the side, but it was what was best for Oates. Milford just doesn't know how to use the left side as well as Boyd.

Until that changes, Oates will continue to be quiet.

What about the bombs he doesn't jump for, or the balls he fumbles because he can't collect from the grass, or that like the other winger, he's always in the middle of the field playing second row. Boyd not passing to him is only one part of it. He's not performed in most areas he's expected to.

Maybe Boyd doesn't go that way because he knows the guy is struggling, he might actually find the other side of the field a better option, because Oates isn't there.

Oates is our leading try scorer by a large margin. He's scored more than Ponga, for example. Doesn't get the ball enough, in my opinion. But how could he expect to with the clownshow he's had inside him?

Last edited:
Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons....Radradra is apparently looking for an NRL club.

Other side of that. How quickly Broncos fans are prepared to put up with player who has sucked at his job all year, because he was good last year, and he seems like a nice guy.

He has played like shit for most of the year. He doesn't deserve any form of praise. He deserves to be dropped, to remind him that to play in first grade, you have to play like a first grader.

He was just about bulletproof leading up to Origin this year. We don’t need to go back to last year to see how good he was.

AFAIC, there is no Oates Issue. He is a fucking gun, he can do what very few players, let alone wingers, can do, and can do it without a team of cheating scum feeding him the field position and open space.

Sign him for 5 years on $550k /yr and tell him to just run over whatever is in front of him.

I haven't re-watched the game as yet, but I think at the moment the attacking structure we have basically looks to have Boyd as the fullback in attack and Milf as a half.

But then Boyd said last week Milf controls the right, Boyd the left and SOS acts as link man between them... surely we aren't playing like this as it prevents you getting the extra man from the fullback.

What I think might be happening is Milf is playing fullback on the right (ie. the extra man), but playing 6 on the left. This basically pushes Darius one out when Milf comes left but unless he positions himself correctly before Milf comes over he's not really acting as a sweeping fullback to get the extra man, he's more like another link man on the left.

I think it is a very complex structure no matter how you look at it and we probably haven't got ourselves sorted out yet.

I'll have to take a better look at what's happening.

The other thing is our second rowers have been absolute beasts in recent weeks so they're looking to hit them short rather than letting them go as decoys to generate quick ptb's and go off the back of them again

He was so close to winning the game for us against souffs.

I’m talking about the first 6 months of no sleep impacting your performance at work.

It would take a pretty shit human for their child not to make them a better person.
I’ve slept with my baby girl in the same room for the night leaving my wife in a separate room, and woke up five to a dozen times in the first 12 months.

My wife took over the baby girl from me about one hour before I went to work.

It never affected my work performance, I’m like high for the first year but without any drugs involved.

The joy of being father, the extra responsibility overcomes the fatigue.

I think when we are attacking to the left darius should be playing deeper and be receiving the ball 2 passes out milf should be running a line for an out ball in ball and oates should be looking for the cut out pass but that is something that would need an off season to work on.

and his performances that were lower than the lofty heights expected of him for ONE MONTH, is enough for you to throw the guy on the scrap heap ...
I’ve already answered the other guy about night sleep thing of being new father, so don’t want reply you with the same staff.

I’m not most of the guy, I don’t rate Oates that high ever, in another thread I’ve mentioned as I could think about a dozen good wingers better than Oates performance this season, so no, I did not judge him by just last month, but I made statements like that based on keeping reading people criticizing Oates for last month performance.

Oates is a confidence player. In a game, if he catches the first couple of high balls, he is set for the game, but if he drops one, that is it for the night.

Whether it is injury, low confidence or the change in our fullback, oates' form is down. He used to avg about 160 metres a game but hasnt gone near that in the past few.

I am happy to stick with him, as isaako has shown, form can change quickly. Corey is very likeable so i dont think it would be a huge amount from our cap as he is appealing to many third parties.

It's nothing to do with form, purely the amount he is asking. He has left it late and our forwards have improved so much they are demanding bigger paydays. Unfortunately he may become a cap victim or he will need to take under 500k.
The fact is we have to be getting very tight with our cap.

We aren't in the semis without Oates and Isaako. They have both been major contributors, just look at where we sit if all goal kicks are removed...12 th of 16 !

Oates is fine and his pay packet (salary cap considered) is not our concern. As long as he and the Bronco's are happy, I'm happy. Got to admit, I like the big dopey ****.

If Boyd is in the halves on the left for the next 2 years, then Corey isn't going to be doing much for the next 2 years either. Not unless Fifita develops a ball playing game too.

If Boyd is in the halves on the left for the next 2 years, then Corey isn't going to be doing much for the next 2 years either. Not unless Fifita develops a ball playing game too.
It's never been said that Boyd will be here for the next two years. The only thing confirmed is that DB is playing next year and he will reassess next year. That may be mid season or at the end of 2020, nobody including DB knows with any certainty.

I’ve slept with my baby girl in the same room for the night leaving my wife in a separate room, and woke up five to a dozen times in the first 12 months.

My wife took over the baby girl from me about one hour before I went to work.

It never affected my work performance, I’m like high for the first year but without any drugs involved.

The joy of being father, the extra responsibility overcomes the fatigue.
Anything to rip on Oates and take away any excuses that might show why his form dropped a bit aye?

I’m calling bullshit that you were fine with fucked up sleep patterns. If not then lucky you, you’re the exception and not the rule.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Strop
  • BroncosMan
  • MrRobot
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
  • LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • eggstar10
... and 64 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.