The Glory Days

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
With all the troubles going on at the club atm let's use this thread to enjoy and share our memories about the wonderful success we have achieved in our history.

I'll start it off with our demolition of Newcastle in the 2006 semi-final.

I can remember this game quite well. It was my school fete that afternoon and they were offering out Broncos balloons and cheap merchandise like that. Newcastle weren't at full strength as Bedsy was suspended and Steve Simpson was injured (from memory) and we went out for the kill and belted Newcastle 50-6 winning our first finals match since 2002. I remember being on the phone to my grandad at halftime and he was laughing at the Knights and was saying how we weren't going to let up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that game. A lot was made at the time about us not winning a finals game since 2002 and the loss against the Dragons the week before. It was a helluva way to silence any doubters.

I remember another game that year. It was against the Bulldogs (not the preliminary final). We thumped them in a regular season game towards the end. A lot of people point to the narrow loss against the Storm as the decisive moment that year but for me it was the Canterbury game. I remember thinking that, barring injury, we had the team to go all the way.

With all the troubles going on at the club atm let's use this thread to enjoy and share our memories about the wonderful success we have achieved in our history.

I'll start it off with our demolition of Newcastle in the 2006 semi-final.

I can remember this game quite well. It was my school fete that afternoon and they were offering out Broncos balloons and cheap merchandise like that. Newcastle weren't at full strength as Bedsy was suspended and Steve Simpson was injured (from memory) and we went out for the kill and belted Newcastle 50-6 winning our first finals match since 2002. I remember being on the phone to my grandad at halftime and he was laughing at the Knights and was saying how we weren't going to let up.

Man, that Lockyer support play and long pass to Boyd starting at around 9:15 was beautiful.

Pretty rubbish defence by Newcastle but still, refusing to die with the ball and support play at it's best there.

I was at that game, B-man. Actually caught a Knights supporter bus down from Newy with a mate of mine!

I had my Broncs jersey on, and I made my mate wear my Queensland jersey. Haha.

Bus trip back was silent. :rockon:

I'll have to watch that clip to refresh my memory.

We were inconsistent in 1993 after an amazing 1992 season and a lot of people dismissed our chances of winning the premiership from 5th spot, we couldn't afford a loss to make the Grand Final and we showed exactly why we had every right to win it.

... We have to have a glory days thread, because it was so long ago.

Had to put my phone down to settle my kid and hit submit with my buttock.

Lockyer and Hodges were vicious back in 06'

I can tell you now, that 06 SF was a sweet anomaly. You want to talk about clincal football, that was the Broncos for the bulk of that year but that game in particular was easily one big fun highlights reel. Yes, the Knights were woefully inept on the occasion but even then, any victory where you put 50 on Joey's team is one to savour.

06 was definitely a sweet and memorable year, but when I think of glory days in context of the Broncos, it's hard to skip over a year like 1998. One game in particular that stands out was our Superbowl performance against the Knights. It's one I'd really love to catch a replay of but it was easily one of the most hyped regular season games that really stirred the interest of every neutral fan who stuck through the war and everyone had a team to barrack for. As you can imagine, Newcastle were the favourites amongst the ARL loyalists and were portrayed as the goodies, but even the most ardent of supporters had to concede that the Broncos completely outclassed the Knights to the tune of 26-6.

From what I've read, Newcastle dominated field position and territory early but the Broncos refused to yield and Lockyer put in one of his best performances of his young career to help establish a lead that would never be broken.

Would love to hear more about this stuff.

Also GC with a great shout, the 93 finals series ranks right up there as one of the proudest moments of the club's career. One thing to take the competition out when you're the overwhelming favourites, another to step up at just the right time.

The first premiership was obviously one of the greatest moments for Rugby League in Queensland and for the club but it's always sweeter to win against all odds and silence the critics like we did in 93.

According to Wayne Bennett's memoir this is how the 1993 season went;

Team attitude at the start of the year was poor as after the success of 92 the players had the belief they only had to turn up to win. Lost 2 of the first 3 games scrapping home against Cronulla and losing to Canterbury and Parramatta (The game against the Eels was the first game at QE2). Turned it around with a win against Canberra in Round 4 followed by wins against Balmain, Penrith and St George.

Origin hit stalling the campaign and after a win against the Sharks which we led by 38-12 before almost being run down had us 4th on the table with 6 rounds to go. Everything than went smoothly till the last round which we were beaten 16-10 by St George which left us in 5th spot with sudden death finals all the way.

Bennett considers after the St George game we were at our very best with the commitment and authority outstanding. Began the finals giving Manly a hiding which gave the team a lot of confidence and we ended up beating the Raiders to stay alive. Had a great win against the Bulldogs one of the best in the clubs history and won the grand final over St George by 14-6.

Chris Johns apparently backed us $5000 and 4-1 to win the premiership before the finals and ended up winning $20,000.

Chris Johns apparently backed us $5000 and 4-1 to win the premiership before the finals and ended up winning $20,000.
yeh i dont think thats true, professional sportsmen generally arent allowed to bet on the sport they play.

the glory days of the broncos was the 90s through til 2000. nothing after that comes close, 2006 fluke included.

yeh i dont think thats true, professional sportsmen generally arent allowed to bet on the sport they play.

I remember that story about Chris Johns at the time, i don't have any proof so it may have been a beatup but it was definately reported as a true fact at the time.

Times were different 20 years ago, no way in hell that would be allowed to happen now, certainly not publicly.

How was 2006 a fluke? We finished 3rd on the ladder from memory and had some big wins over the Knights and Bulldogs (who were probably more highly credentialled than the Broncos).
Never mind AP, we beat his beloved Storm in the GF, and it still hurts...

How was 2006 a fluke? We finished 3rd on the ladder from memory and had some big wins over the Knights and Bulldogs (who were probably more highly credentialled than the Broncos).

Agree, we were there or there abouts every year for that entire decade with some pretty poor form come finals time most years, we were due a good run in the final series.

The year before was more a fluke and i'm sure Tigers fans won't knock it back.

Agree, we were there or there abouts every year for that entire decade with some pretty poor form come finals time most years, we were due a good run in the final series.

The year before was more a fluke and i'm sure Tigers fans won't knock it back.

I think 2005 was mostly just good coaching (from Tim Sheens!?). It was just before wrestling became a big thing and the Tigers exploited the quick play the balls for all it's worth, almost literally falling before even hitting the defensive line and playing the ball quickly.

Unread

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.