The Glory Days

From a raiders fans perspective.

2006 was a farce, the ref was generous in the gf and the terrible finals system allowed the broncos to be their in the first place. The only thing somewhat redeeming about it was melbourne was probably cheating the salary cap at the time?

IMO the tigers run was a less of a fluke, they were dominant for the back half of the season and only st george came close (the team who killed brisbane in the finals next year) but poor old cooper couldnt catch. Either way they won a lot in a row and were never challanged in the back end of the season except by st george who they beat in the said challenge.

1992 fair enough.

1993 - imo the raiders would have won if stuart didn't get injured in one of the later rounds. but again a good finals run nonetheless and worthy champions in the end, who can forget st george cant play.

where they were truely dominate was

97 - 2000
97 SL GF winners and to be honest they would have pumped newcastle.
98 NRL GF winners - in emphatic fashion as well.
2000 NRL GF winners

Last edited:
How was 2006 a fluke? We finished 3rd on the ladder from memory and had some big wins over the Knights and Bulldogs (who were probably more highly credentialled than the Broncos).
did you watch football in 2006? all the other big teams just fell apart in the run home, and we got handed the grand final win on a platter by the refs. it was a fluke because it took everything coming together in the broncos favour for us to win it, from injuries to form slumps to blatantly incorrect referee decisions going our way (which is usually a rarity, hence why getting MULTIPLE game changing ones go our way in the GF is such a big deal). it wont ever happen again like that.

we also only won 5 of our last 12 games leading into the finals, then got pumped in the first round of the finals.

and anyway, this topic is about our glory days. a premiership win 6 years after our last one, which was our 3rd in 4 years, does not equate to being part of the glory days.

Just in case any one has forgotten this little piece of trivia about the 2006 GF ... we were playing an illegally retained football team... in other words, we were playing CHEATERS.

we were also fined for salary cap breaches in 2006 btw. both cheaters technically.

plus anyone who watched the match could call the referees cheaters too.

This thread if for talking about the success we've had not for questioning if we were worthy of winning or if the ref or the other team cheated.

Attempt to get this thread positively back on track.

The 2006 Premiership is imo the greatest premiership we've won. We were up competing for a top 4 spot but as always Origin hit and we lost 5 straight games and the media went for blood calling for Bennett to be sacked, Lockyer to be dropped as captain and put back in fullback and wrote the Broncos off for the season. The last game of the slump was against the Storm which we lost 18-12 but there were so many positives to take and the team got back on track.

Responded in awesome fashion winning our last 3 games before the finals in spectacular fashion knocking over the much fancied Bulldogs 30-0, an in-form Parramatta 23-0 and a classy Warriors outfit that had won their last 4 games 36-12. Hit a speedbump in the first week of the finals going down 20-4 against the Dragons but responded in awesome fashion belting a depleted Newcastle 50-6. Was down and and out against the Dogs behind 20-6 at halftime but that brilliant try by Berrigan sparked a wonderful comeback and we made it through to the grand-final 37-20 and defeated the run away minor premiers 15-8.

That comeback against the dogs in the 06 finals has always stuck in my mind. Berro's try in the corner while he was pretty much doing a head stand! Just awesome.

Any match your team wins when they tipped to lose is almost always more special than ones they are expected to win IMO. One of the reasons 06 was so awesome.

did you watch football in 2006? all the other big teams just fell apart in the run home, and we got handed the grand final win on a platter by the refs. it was a fluke because it took everything coming together in the broncos favour for us to win it, from injuries to form slumps to blatantly incorrect referee decisions going our way (which is usually a rarity, hence why getting MULTIPLE game changing ones go our way in the GF is such a big deal). it wont ever happen again like that.

we also only won 5 of our last 12 games leading into the finals, then got pumped in the first round of the finals.

and anyway, this topic is about our glory days. a premiership win 6 years after our last one, which was our 3rd in 4 years, does not equate to being part of the glory days.

You made a lot of points that I can't really agree with, Anonymous person. Nevertheless, if it is ok with the Moderators I'll quickly respond if I may and then get the thread back on topic.

Firstly, the Broncos are not responsible for injuries and form slumps from opposition teams. To deny Brisbane credit because other teams "fell apart" is quite frankly nonsense, imo. You can only beat who is in front of you. Those factors you highlighted always determine the overall winners every year (inlcuding those "premierships" won by the Storm - look at 2007 when Brett Stewart went down injured. The game was still close then. Would Manly have won? I doubt it but you never know). Based on that logic, every decider could be considered a fluke as those things always play a part in how the year plays out. We're not playing touch footy. Every side deals with injuries and loss of form. I think Brisbane lost five in a row that year but managed to come good.

I also don't believe that the referee cost Melbourne victory in the grand final. Brisbane certainly copped some very favourable calls - there's no doubt about that but if Melbourne were good enough they would have overcome that adversity. As Cooper Cronk said this year "we are 100% accountable for our performance." Look at the Origin decider of 2006 as an example. NSW were gifted two tries but QLD cam from 10 points down with only a few minutes remaining to get the win. Good teams will never let a referee cost them the game. What about this year's decider? Queensland had to dig deep to overcome some very harsh calls but the best team won. I don't buy into whether or not they are "game changing" as every call has an impact and I've never thought that one play decides games. I think it's several plays that add up that eventually determines a win or a loss.

Back on topic, I'd still consider 2006 a glory year. It may not belong to the same era as the other premierships but I'm sure any supporter from any other club would happily accept 6 premierships from as many attempts.

Chris Johns apparently backed us $5000 and 4-1 to win the premiership before the finals and ended up winning $20,000.

Yep, bookie was getting lippy after the last round loss to the Dragons at ANZ and Johns took his big odds. Kevvie got in on it too. Although Kevvie didn't commit until after they had run out in the GF.

Benny rang Johns the Saturday after the Dragons' game worried they were gone but Johns said all good this is how much faith I have- guess what I did last night!

Back on topic, I'd still consider 2006 a glory year. It may not belong to the same era as the other premierships but I'm sure any supporter from any other club would happily accept 6 premierships from as many attempts.
of course its a "glory year", we won the premiership.

"glory DAYS" though is referring to an era of glory. 1 year does not make an era. 5 premierships in 9 years does.

of course its a "glory year", we won the premiership.

According to you, we fluked it but I get your point. Let's not get bogged down in semantics. It wasn't all doom and gloom after 2000 though. We made preliminary finals in 2001-02 during the period leading up to '06. They were not grand finals true, but still terrific years that I remember with pride. Some great wins with a great side.

What about our first ever championship victory?

The 1989 Panasonic Cup

Now, this game happened before I was even born but it's impact on the club shouldn't be ignored.

For those who don't know/can't remember, the Panasonic Cup was a mid-week elimination style competition played adjacent to the NSWRL competition. Brisbane had been knocked out in the first round of the previous tournament and went into the final as heavy favourites looking to make ammends for the earlier disappointment.

Standing in their way stood the Illawarra Steelers, the perrenial underdogs who had only won one game in the competition proper and would go onto take the wooden spoon.

As you can imagine, the Broncos went in as heavy favourites and at quater time, the boys held a 16 point lead. It had been a typical Broncos performance which featured some well executed exchanges of passes which created space down the right fringe and some great plays from our slew of stars.

Then the Steelers came roaring back. Smokin' Joe Kilroy spilled a probing grubber from English import, Andy Gregory, inside his own in-goal allowing Rodwell to pounce and put the Steelers on the board. Then flying centre, Jeff Hardy, intercepted an ill-conceived bat on pass from Brett Le Man to race away and link up with Wishart and before you knew it, the Steelers were back in the contest 16-14.

The game then turned into a torrid affair where defence reigned supreme. After some very tense moments, the Broncos were able to take the match when Jacko ran the perfect line off a nice pass from Materson which cut the Steelers to pieces before finding Miles on the inside. To this day, Steelers fans still declare the pass forward but it doesn't matter as the Broncos held onto win 22-20.

Then things turned ugly. Since the game was played at Parramatta stadium, the bulk of the audience was made up of Steelers fans and Sydney supporters. Clearly, Brisbane winning didn't sit well with them and so they resorted to hurling abuse and projectiles at the players. To make matters worse, despite winning the match, the man of the match award went to Andy Gregory, a shock choice that didn't add up, especially to the Broncos.

In the end, the scene at Parramatta stadium was such an embarrassment that NSWRL chairman Ken Arthurson personally visited the Broncos dressing room post-game and apologised on the game's behalf.

However, in a moment that would define the club, the Broncos reported back in Brisbane and in a moment that only the King could get away with, he told the Sydney fans they could all kiss their...

then all the players turned around and pointed to their backsides.

It was a moment that told the Rugby League community that the Broncos were about to accept abuse lying down and boy did we make some enemies in the process.

Gee whiz
I remember it as far back as the Amco cup and a combined Brisbane team competing in Red and White, (White Jersey and red shoulders).
Ray Warren walked out over the catwalk above our heads on the eastern side to his commentary box wearing a hot pink suit. The crowd canned him, full ones, and half empty ones.
Ah those were the days. Those cups now won't go as far now

If i thought about it i could probably tell you whipper snappers some stories

Last edited:
What about our first ever championship victory?

The 1989 Panasonic Cup

Now, this game happened before I was even born but it's impact on the club shouldn't be ignored.

For those who don't know/can't remember, the Panasonic Cup was a mid-week elimination style competition played adjacent to the NSWRL competition. Brisbane had been knocked out in the first round of the previous tournament and went into the final as heavy favourites looking to make ammends for the earlier disappointment.

Standing in their way stood the Illawarra Steelers, the perrenial underdogs who had only won one game in the competition proper and would go onto take the wooden spoon.

As you can imagine, the Broncos went in as heavy favourites and at quater time, the boys held a 16 point lead. It had been a typical Broncos performance which featured some well executed exchanges of passes which created space down the right fringe and some great plays from our slew of stars.

Then the Steelers came roaring back. Smokin' Joe Kilroy spilled a probing grubber from English import, Andy Gregory, inside his own in-goal allowing Rodwell to pounce and put the Steelers on the board. Then flying centre, Jeff Hardy, intercepted an ill-conceived bat on pass from Brett Le Man to race away and link up with Wishart and before you knew it, the Steelers were back in the contest 16-14.

The game then turned into a torrid affair where defence reigned supreme. After some very tense moments, the Broncos were able to take the match when Jacko ran the perfect line off a nice pass from Materson which cut the Steelers to pieces before finding Miles on the inside. To this day, Steelers fans still declare the pass forward but it doesn't matter as the Broncos held onto win 22-20.

Then things turned ugly. Since the game was played at Parramatta stadium, the bulk of the audience was made up of Steelers fans and Sydney supporters. Clearly, Brisbane winning didn't sit well with them and so they resorted to hurling abuse and projectiles at the players. To make matters worse, despite winning the match, the man of the match award went to Andy Gregory, a shock choice that didn't add up, especially to the Broncos.

In the end, the scene at Parramatta stadium was such an embarrassment that NSWRL chairman Ken Arthurson personally visited the Broncos dressing room post-game and apologised on the game's behalf.

However, in a moment that would define the club, the Broncos reported back in Brisbane and in a moment that only the King could get away with, he told the Sydney fans they could all kiss their...

then all the players turned around and pointed to their backsides.

It was a moment that told the Rugby League community that the Broncos were about to accept abuse lying down and boy did we make some enemies in the process.
All true Pete
We were rejoicing

I'd be up for some old time uncle Splinter stories.

Was the 84 AMCO the really tense match where the combined Brisbane team was forced to defend their line a ridiculous amount of times? My folks used to bring this match up all the time.

I'd be up for some old time uncle Splinter stories.

Was the 84 AMCO the really tense match where the combined Brisbane team was forced to defend their line a ridiculous amount of times? My folks used to bring this match up all the time.

Come back to you on this one Pete, i am being harrassed by the wife at the moment. I was your age when this final was played

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • TimWhatley
  • Gaz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Inside pass
  • Old Mate
  • lynx000
  • Nerd
  • Manofoneway
  • Manifesto
  • Lurker
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • RolledOates
  • Tim K
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.