The Greatest Ever Queensland Side

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
This Queensland team has won 4 series in a row and will go down as one of the greatest teams ever to play State of Origin football. But some have gone so far as to say that they are THE Greatest to ever put on the Maroon jersey. So it got me thinking, is enough respect being paid to the Queensland sides of 1987-1989? The side of 87-89 did not win 4 series in a row, but the Queensland side of 06-09 never won a series 3-0. In the great era of Queensland dominance from 87-89, Queensland only lost 1 game. The Queensland side of 06-09 has lost 1 game in each series.

So BroncoMatt and I have put together the best players from the 2 teams and we want to put it to BHQ once and for all. Which is the better team?

87-89 POSITION 06-09
Gary Belchar FULLBACK Billy Slater
Michael Hancock WING Brent Tate
Gene Miles CENTRE Greg Inglis
Mal Meninga CENTRE Justin Hodges
Dale Shearer WING Israel Folau
Wally Lewis (C) FIVE-EIGHTH Darren Lockyer (C)
Allan Langer HALFBACK Johnathon Thurston
Martin Bella PROP Steve Price
Greg Conescu HOOKER Cameron Smith
Sam Backo PROP Petero Civoniceva
Trevor Gillmeister SECOND ROW Ashley Harrison
Paul Vautin SECOND ROW Sam Thaiday
Bob Lindner LOCK Dallas Johnson
------------------------------------------------
Tonie Currie INTERCHANGE Karmichael Hunt
Greg Dowling INTERCHANGE Nate Myles
Peter Jackson INTERCHANGE Michael Crocker
Wally Fullteron-Smith INTERCHANGE Ben Hannant

So which is the better team BHQ?

4 in a row cannot be ignored. The fact that it's in this day and age where every single top player is a full-time professional sports player who just works out and trains just makes it that much more incredible.

As great as that team back then was, they didn't win 4 in a row.

I think the current side has the better 8 - 10. 11 - 13 would go to the oldies.
In the backs the current side would probably get 2 spots imo, inglis and folau. The halves are inseparable, cant choose. Langer probably over Thurston. On paper, i would say the oldies get it. I think the current team is more skilled, but the old team would probably perform better

4 in a row cannot be ignored. The fact that it's in this day and age where every single top player is a full-time professional sports player who just works out and trains just makes it that much more incredible.

As great as that team back then was, they didn't win 4 in a row.

But this team has never won 3-nil. So you could say that in terms of dominance, they dominated their opposition more than this team did. That's what I am asking.

I think that winning 4 years in a row is at least an equal to winning one series 3 nil.

QUEENSLANDER said:
In the backs the current side would probably get 2 spots imo, inglis and folau. The halves are inseparable, cant choose. Langer probably over Thurston. On paper, i would say the oldies get it. I think the current team is more skilled, but the old team would probably perform better

I think I agree. As great as Locky and JT are, Lewis and Langer are just absolute royalty.

I think the oldies have the better 1-7, the young ones the better 8-10, and the oldies the better back row. Bench is 50-50.

I'll say the the oldies win the decider in Golden Point icon_thumbs_u

OIdies side for sure. In my opinion, winning 8 straight games (if you take out the pointless exhibition match in the USA), with 2 consecutive 3-0 series wins is a far greater feat than winning 4 series in a row 2-1.

QUEENSLANDER said:

It's interesting too, you'd have to consider what rules/interpretations the game would be played under. If it was in the old 5 metre rule, hold down as long as you like style, the oldies would KILL the new team. They would have no idea how to create a break without the quick play the ball momentum.

If it was in the modern game 10m rule, the oldies would get killed because they simply couldn't keep up with the pace.

All things being equal, if those oldies had all the training available to them that the current full timers do, they'd MURDER that young'un team. The only players in the current team that would make it in in their current positions would be Steve Price, Cam Smith and Petero Civoniceva, with possibly Inglis playing out of position on the wing and forcing Mick Hancock out, and Darren Lockyer moving back to fullback in place of Belcher (remember, we're assuming this is all players at their peak etc).

Awesome thread though Jeb and Matt, great work!

I also don't think the 'oldies' could last the full 80 minutes against this current team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the late eighties didn't most players still have jobs outside of football? All the current crop of players do is train.

Coxy said:
All things being equal, if those oldies had all the training available to them that the current full timers do, they'd MURDER that young'un team.

Correct, hence the above.

Anonymous person said:
I also don't think the 'oldies' could last the full 80 minutes against this current team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the late eighties didn't most players still have jobs outside of football? All the current crop of players do is train.

It's not about which team would beat which team though is it? It's about who was the better team IN IT'S DAY. The most recent team would flog the old team, based purely on fitness though, which is really besides the point of the thread.

The modern day boys can play but they would have to be at their best to beat the old school. There would be some wonderful 1 on 1 battles - Wally v Locky, Smith v Turtle and imagine the passion and fire between Tate and Hancock!

How good would it be though to see Miles and Meninga up against Inglis and Hodges - with Big Mal steaming onto it GI might finally get a taste of what he dishes out to others in Origin!

I would go oldies by 4 and hope for a blue between Price and Bella - just for a bit of a laugh! Love them both but neither can fight!

Honestly I can pick Petero and Pricey in the young un's team over the corresponding oldies. GI and Izzy are maybes.

87-89 would destroy the current team no doubt in my mind. Let me show you why;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7BYpPvrBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDPNq6gPD4

That said I find more room for the 06-09 players than most, but the difference is many of the latest models could very easily be replaced by their earlier counterpart.

Jeba said:
87-89 POSITION 06-09
Gary Belcher FULLBACK Billy Slater
Michael Hancock WING Brent Tate
Gene Miles CENTRE Greg Inglis
Mal Meninga CENTRE Justin Hodges
Dale Shearer WING Israel Folau
Wally Lewis (C) FIVE-EIGHTH Darren Lockyer (C)
Allan Langer HALFBACK Johnathon Thurston
Martin Bella PROP Steve Price
Greg Conescu HOOKER Cameron Smith
Sam Backo PROP Petero Civoniceva
Trevor Gillmeister SECOND ROW Ashley Harrison
Paul Vautin SECOND ROW Sam Thaiday
Bob Lindner LOCK Dallas Johnson
------------------------------------------------
Tonie Currie INTERCHANGE Karmichael Hunt
Greg Dowling INTERCHANGE Nate Myles
Peter Jackson INTERCHANGE Michael Crocker
Wally Fullteron-Smith INTERCHANGE Ben Hannant

Also Jeba, you and your mate BroncoMatt will be struggling for days to beat my greatest ever Queensland Rugby League team which has been selected by position focus (i.e. not selecting a player out of position or on bench just to have him in the team *cough*FOGS*cough*), and with all players in their prime.

As you can see, I'm stuck on the utility back (Rowdy had pure speed, but Jacko had passion in spades) and bench backrower (although would have to lean toward Fullerton-Smith as he was more mobile and I have 4 whoppers in my extended pack).

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Greg Inglis
3. Mal Meninga
4. Gene Miles
5. Israel Falou
6. Wally Lewis (G)
7. Allan Langer
8. Shane Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Arthur Beetson
11. Gary Larson
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lindner

14. Dale Shearer/Peter Jackson
15. Petero Civinoceva
16. Greg Dowling
17. Trevor Gillmeister/Wally Fullerton-Smith

It was hard to split Lockyer or Slater tbh. Not sure if I went with the right selection?

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • thenry
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosarethebest
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • heartly87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.