The Jury is out: Matt Gillett

Come on, that pass was not on under the circumstances, besides it went to the floor and no winger would've had a chance to do anything with it. McQueen has played plenty of games at winger quite well for souffs, so that isn't an excuse either. Seriously though, if you're going to accuse Gillett of a dumb head, what would you say of David Taylor? :shocked:

Let's see what Bennett does with Gillett and hopefully he will put him on the left side, where he appears to much more solid in defense as well. But yes, I agree that he needs to contain his enthusiasm when defending, by learning when to rush out of the line.

Like I said, I think that our whole defense needs heaps of work, as we've dropped back to last season's standards, and Gillett is one of the most affected by it. That is definitely a coaching problem IMO.

Like I said, I think that our whole defense needs heaps of work, as we've dropped back to last season's standards, and Gillett is one of the most affected by it. That is definitely a coaching problem IMO.

Been saying it all year....Brisbane's defence is atrocious. A season or two ago we were winning games on the back of it.....now we are losing games because of it.

I blame Kearney.

Just on Gillett's defence....he's an arm grabber. Someone like Toni Carroll or Peter Ryan should teach him how to use his shoulder in a tackle. Gillett's timing and whole technique is quite fucked.

The problem with Gillett is his bad games are some of the worst games you will ever see. He is wildly inconsistent and really isn't living up to his talent.

The problem with Gillett is his bad games are some of the worst games you will ever see. He is wildly inconsistent and really isn't living up to his talent.
That's my biggest issue with a coach, when he isn't capable of bringing out the best of talented players. It's not always the coach's fault mind you, although I think it has a lot to do with it in this case.

I thought Hook had fixed a lot of that this season, but we're in very dangerous waters now... hopefully last week was a combination of the WB events, short turn around after an epic fight with the Warriors and a Storm team gathering momentum.

We have to make a statement in Brookvale, even if we lose. As long as we don't produce another abhorrent performance, we can still make the finals with relative ease.

That's my biggest issue with a coach, when he isn't capable of bringing out the best of talented players. It's not always the coach's fault mind you, although I think it has a lot to do with it in this case.

I thought Hook had fixed a lot of that this season, but we're in very dangerous waters now... hopefully last week was a combination of the WB events, short turn around after an epic fight with the Warriors and a Storm team gathering momentum.

We have to make a statement in Brookvale, even if we lose. As long as we don't produce another abhorrent performance, we can still make the finals with relative ease.

This is spot on. Gillett is a game breaker and for mine, the good things he has done outweigh his defensive lapses and brain explosions. We focus on him not unfairly 'cos I feel we expect so much from him.

As for his defence, I feel the criticism of him is a little harsh and unbalanced. Yes, his game last week was poor, yet I have seen him defend extremely well, making a lot of tackles, and some very good last ditch tackles, as well as some great hits. He does tend to run out of the line too much, but that part of his game had improved until last week. His arm grabs are a worry, yes, and yes, they are a coaching issue - both for Gillett's technique, and his focus.

But then there is off loading which cannot be ignored. He and Parker do most of it.

For mine, Gillett is an essential member of this side. His strengths far outweigh his weaknesses, and some regular quality ball wouldn't go astray either, or which there is far too little.

Last edited:
Can anyone think of any big hits by Gillett?

I'm making a video, and I would like to add some big hits.. But I can't really recall any.

Pretty much already done. Just got to find some big hits to add.

Last edited:
In the first half of Round 4, 2012 (yes...that game) Gillett wakes the entire team up with a few rib rattlers and scores a vital try on the stroke of half-time.

It's the first memory that comes to mind.

Gillett really isn't great for a highlight reel these days. I can't remember one time during season 2015 where he ran a great line off Hunt to score, whereas I can remember a few from Milf to Glenn, but he certainly had some freakish moments like that pass against the Storm, the tackle on RTS against the Roosters in the prelim and the Origin try.

Origin rib rattler on Gallen a few years ago... can't remember when.

Gillett really isn't great for a highlight reel these days. I can't remember one time during season 2015 where he ran a great line off Hunt to score, whereas I can remember a few from Milf to Glenn, but he certainly had some freakish moments like that pass against the Storm, the tackle on RTS against the Roosters in the prelim and the Origin try.
Gillett has always been able to run those lines, so it's a matter of a) can Hunt throw those balls to the angle-runner when we aren't camped inside the oppositions 20m, b) was it even part of the 'gameplan' because of how well our left side does and our halves did a lot of things themselves, and/or c) Wayne didn't want him involved in attack at all and 2015 was all about fixing his defence and we'll see it come to the fore this season. I'm leaning to equal parts a and c, because I guarantee that if Gillett was outside Milf and not Hunt, he'd make just as many (if not more) breaks that Glenn did

If Bennett can get the best out of Gillett and he can become the attacking weapon we all know he can be.. Then our right side attack will be a lot better. He will be a damaging second rower.

Some of the stuff he has done in his career, freakish stuff for a forward. His 2010-2011 highlights are superb.. The guy can play anywhere.

Last edited:
I swear he blind sighted a player with a shoulder charge a year or two ago but the referees left it and then everyone started doing it. Origin, if that helps, sounds like a good dream though

I swear he blind sighted a player with a shoulder charge a year or two ago but the referees left it and then everyone started doing it. Origin, if that helps, sounds like a good dream though

IIRC, that was Papalii on Gallen.

For me Gillett is an ideal bench player. I think we can see the best from him in shorter bursts. He seems to fade out of games at times. It has also been tough on him because I don't think he has had a defined role. He is a quality player but consistency will always be a big issue for him. Sometimes his hands are like feet as well.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Organix
  • BroncoFan94
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Allo
  • TimWhatley
  • Wolfie
  • BooKhaki
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Galah
  • LittleDavey
  • kman
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.