The more things change the more they stray the same….mostly.

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ok, after watching each game here are my early season predictions, as always inaccurate.

Broncos – Possibly the best halves in the game (although IMO Smith would make them far stronger). The backs are as good as any in the comp and Norman at fullback could be anything, although ask me again later in the year. Forwards will be our weakness.

Cowboys – Haven’t worked out yet that they have a team that can win a premiership, too much talent, not enough conviction. Sorry with that pack, the Broncos would be favourites.

Dragons – Will make the 8, but lack a game breaker to really worry the opposition, should bow out again early.

Parramatta – Always slow starters, have all the players in the right positions to win the whole thing, but don’t handle being favourites well. Expect them to lose plenty of game early but come home strong. Should finish somewhere in the top 4.

Storm – Can still win ugly. With the best hooker, fullback and game breakers in the game (and add to that one of the best halfbacks yet to come) the Storm will be a force for years to come. They just don’t seem to miss tackles. Will be the team to beat.

Sharks – Defence is solid, just have nothing in attack. From what I’ve seen can’t make the 8.

Roosters – Will improve over last year, not sure if they can make the 8, but have the cattle to give it a shake.

Bulldogs – Off week against a team they were supposed to flog, just goes to show that attitude wins games as well. Will make the 8, will just struggle early.

Rabbitohs – Just goes to prove that the more things change the more they stay the same. No team can win the comp with out a top quality 1, 9 & 7 and a game breaker. Now some teams can change that to a 6, but the end result is the players that get the most ball have to do something with it. They will win games, but wont make the 8, again.

Panthers – Dark horse, hot and cold, as always. Will blow teams away and will get flogged, possible top 8, but lets see them under real pressure. I think they will come up short.

Knights – Most people wrote them off before a ball was kicked yet the beat a premiership team, that’s gonna happen, still don’t think they have the legs for a long race, will fall short.

Warriors – Depth and commitment will again be their downfall. Like all teams they will no doubt win their share of games, it won’t be enough to make the 8.

Tigers – Another dark horse, most expect great things from the Tigers and sure they have the strike power to do it, but the premiership is not a sprint but a marathon. Might win enough to scrape into the 8.

Sea Eagles – Should be there or there abouts, quality team across the paddock, although lack the strike power of years gone by, should be an early exit.

Raiders – Written off every year and this one is no different, not enough quality to make the 8, won’t go winless though.

Titans – Stronger than last year, will make the 8 and have the important positions covered. A force this year.

My Top 8 is

Storm - Favourites
Dragons – Solid form all season
Eels – Too much quality not to be there
Bulldogs – see above
Titans - Improvers
Tigers – Good enough in this company
Cowboys – late charge
Broncos – Quality backline
Dark horse – Panthers, Roosters & Sea Eagles

1. Injuries - A season ending injury to Smith or Cronk pretty much ends their season, the same could be said to any high profile player in any team. The thing is the Storm have never had to deal with losing Smith or Cronk for long periods. No team could recover from losing key players in those positions, and there are 25 rounds to go.
2. Form drops – Nobody knows why, but some teams just lose form, as Broncos fans we’ve seen it all before, how will other teams recover if it happens to them?

It always seems that the Storm has been able to cover all eventualities in the past, except the loss of Smith. What would happen to the Storm if they lost not just Smith, but Cronk as well? As I have said the season is long and there are as many questions as there are answers, one thing I know is that September will come around regardless on wether our team is ready for it or not. I say, bring it on!!!

What is your love affair with Tim Smith? Seriously?

My top 8 at this early stage is (not necessarily in order of finish):

Melbourne
St George
Bulldogs
Titans
Parra
Broncos
Cowboys (barring any further serious injuries)
Roosters

If the Titans get anything less than third on the ladder it will be a disappointing season. For them to improve on last years efforts, they need to be top two. And I can see the Broncos right behind them.

Bannermania said:
If the Titans get anything less than third on the ladder it will be a disappointing season. For them to improve on last years efforts, they need to be top two. And I can see the Broncos right behind them.

Agree re: Titans, though I'm still not sold on the Broncos. No reason we can't be top 4, but I think we have to expect some inconsistency at times. I'm more thinking 6-8 finish.

Coxy said:
What is your love affair with Tim Smith? Seriously?
I've seen him play and IMO he's a better halfback then Wallace. In saying that, I'm happy with Wallace and still believe our halves are the best combination in the comp, I just think Smith would make us stronger.

When was the most recent time you've seen him play? Based only on his first season in the NRL I would agree - but his follow up season was pretty woeful and to be honest he didn't set the world on fire in the ESL. I hope he can get back to top form but right now I'd still have Wallace over him in a heartbeat.

Coxy said:
Bannermania said:

Agree re: Titans, though I'm still not sold on the Broncos. No reason we can't be top 4, but I think we have to expect some inconsistency at times. I'm more thinking 6-8 finish.

The Broncos have an immense amount of potential, but if they waste that, it's possible you could fall outside the 8, if you capatalize on these young players thirst for energy and game time, you could be well inside the 8. Depends on the coaching I suppose.

Flutterby said:
When was the most recent time you've seen him play? Based only on his first season in the NRL I would agree - but his follow up season was pretty woeful and to be honest he didn't set the world on first in the ESL. I hope he can get back to top form but right now I'd still have Wallace over him in a heartbeat.

+1. My concern is with Smith being able to deliver week in, week out. He only ever managed that in his debut season when he didn't have all the pressure of being the chief playmaker.

Titans in the GF...not likely !!!.....Melb,Manly,Bolldugs,and the other three fighting for fourth ( Saints,Penrith,West Tigers)...if we make the eight we'll (broncs) be lucky this year although certainly an attainable goal.

Titans have no mongrel in there pack, not a single player who can really hurt a side with defense or with the ball and that is while when it gets to the bigger games (like both finals last year) they failed miserably.

The Gymp said:
Titans have no mongrel in there pack, not a single player who can really hurt a side with defense or with the ball and that is while when it gets to the bigger games (like both finals last year) they failed miserably.

They don't have to be mongrel. They don't need a bash-em-up forward. The Titans forwards are all skillful ball players, they are workhorses like Laffranchi and Bailey who will gather a fkload of hit-ups and tackles every game.

Consistensy is the key to these guys making a Premiership winning side. They failed last year because they buckled under pressure, but now at least they have a tiny idea about what finals football is about, I think some of you will be presently surprised. I HOPE!

Bannermania said:
The Gymp said:

They don't have to be mongrel. They don't need a bash-em-up forward. The Titans forwards are all skillful ball players, they are workhorses like Laffranchi and Bailey who will gather a fkload of hit-ups and tackles every game.

Consistensy is the key to these guys making a Premiership winning side. They failed last year because they buckled under pressure, but now at least they have a tiny idea about what finals football is about, I think some of you will be presently surprised. I HOPE!

Yeah still not sold. My concern is the Titans are like a lot of the Broncos sides in the 00s. Good workmanlike forwards and backs that can score points when momentum goes their way. Solid, no frills team that will win plenty of games during the season proper, but come finals lack that something extra to win the big games.

I definitely don't think Greg Bird is a five-eighth that's going to break a tight game open with ball in hand. And Scott Prince, as good as he is, seems to lack that x-factor to make something out of nothing when the pressure is on.

Real shame that Shannon Walker has been a dud at NRL level, he's the kind of x-factor player that could really give the Titans an edge from fullback.

Coxy said:
Bannermania said:
The Gymp said:

Yeah still not sold. My concern is the Titans are like a lot of the Broncos sides in the 00s. Good workmanlike forwards and backs that can score points when momentum goes their way. Solid, no frills team that will win plenty of games during the season proper, but come finals lack that something extra to win the big games.

I definitely don't think Greg Bird is a five-eighth that's going to break a tight game open with ball in hand. And Scott Prince, as good as he is, seems to lack that x-factor to make something out of nothing when the pressure is on.

Real shame that Shannon Walker has been a dud at NRL level, he's the kind of x-factor player that could really give the Titans an edge from fullback.

I think the team really looks good together, I think Bird may take a little time to get used to this scheme, but he will do well.

And Scott Prince, that guys is the X Factor. He consistently been inside the top 5 NRL players for some years now. I really think he is better than Thurston. He's a solid player maker, with a wicked kicking game. What more could you ask for?

I would agree that Bird(for all his troubles) is a very good standard nrl player and , if his head stays together ,COULD steer the Titans towards September success but it's not enough quality right across the team plus the weight of expectation that stops them from making me a believer. I do wish them success but a few more convincing forwards and a siege mentality is still required.

I think they're still in the embryonic stages and will be a force (provided discipline and direction remain strong) in years to come.

I think Titans could even have a Broncos 1991 type season. A year after their first finals appearance, fall to pieces a bit. But we'll see.

My top 8:

Storm
Dragons
Eels
Bulldogs
Titans
Cowboys
Roosters
Broncos

Active Now

• vertigo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bert_lifts
  • Spoon
  • bazza
  • Emanon
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • pennywisealfie
  • The Don
  • Financeguy
  • The Strapper
  • simplythebest
  • broncs30
  • Maddy
  • Accept
  • MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.