The Mysterious Contract of Boyd (Continue the discussion here please, not the Kevvie Thread)

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Has nothing to do with following Bennett and more to do with the coaches who replace him often being fucking terrible.
I think it's more to do with Bennett fucking them in the ass with the squad. I mean, he did it to the dragons, knights and us.

I didn't know white was the CEO of the dragons and knights as well... Sure White is also responsible, but Wayne has a very large say.
Dragons I don't know much about, Knights Tinkler had a big thing for buying in locals and also getting a premiership right now **** the future. At the Broncos obviously the coach has input into the players the club signs but White was the bloke doing all the negotiations about contract value and length. But hey, if you want to retcon reality so that the guy we sacked two seasons ago is to blame for this year's dreck, go for broke.

Dragons I don't know much about, Knights Tinkler had a big thing for buying in locals and also getting a premiership right now **** the future. At the Broncos obviously the coach has input into the players the club signs but White was the bloke doing all the negotiations about contract value and length. But hey, if you want to retcon reality so that the guy we sacked two seasons ago is to blame for this year's dreck, go for broke.

are you sure it was him and not the GM of Football ... Peter Nolan?

besides the head coach has a big say in all those things. in fact while at the Knights, Wayne had a big problem with the Snowden deal, because HE (let me say that again HE) doesn't pay props more than 300k (obviously that would change now since the salary cap has doubled since then)

are you sure it was him and not the GM of Football ... Peter Nolan?

besides the head coach has a big say in all those things. in fact while at the Knights, Wayne had a big problem with the Snowden deal, because HE (let me say that again HE) doesn't pay props more than 300k (obviously that would change now since the salary cap has doubled since then)
I can't be bothered digging through years of crap, here's a primary source wrt Boyd's contract which I'm fairly sure was the original point of contention.

At the start of 2017, Bennett sat down with Broncos chief executive Paul White, recruitment manager Peter Nolan and board member Darren Lockyer. ... White told those in the meeting that he would take the lead in negotiations with Boyd’s agent, George Mimis. ... "Darius’s contracting at the time of negotiation was a matter between the CEO and myself," Mimis told NRL.com.

I think it's more to do with Bennett fucking them in the ass with the squad. I mean, he did it to the dragons, knights and us.
If you’re going to ignore evidence saying otherwise then sure. It’s all Bennett’s fault. Nothing to do with players not getting paid and a Newcastle favourite being unable to walk anymore. Also what did he do to **** the dragons? He won them a premiership!

Not sure how he fucked us either, considering he wanted to stay and coach the team but sure, let’s go with the opinion that he was ruining the team he wanted to coach.

Who else does George Mimis represent? Specifically in the coaching ranks?

Who else does George Mimis represent? Specifically in the coaching ranks?
Still awake unfortunately. So you’re saying he’d be well aware of his clients involvement in the Boyd contract then? Or are you saying he’s lying? Because I feel like if he was lying someone would be able to say otherwise. But let me get this straight, quotes from Bennett and Boyd’s manager that weren’t denied by the Broncos board members are probably untrue but accusations from random bloke on BHQ are a possibility?

All I want is some evidence. There’s more pointing to Bennett having very little to do with it than there is the opposite.

Also here’s an article with actual quotes from Paul White saying he’s working with Boyd’s manager. No mention of anyone else being involved.

Still awake unfortunately. So you’re saying he’d be well aware of his clients involvement in the Boyd contract then? Or are you saying he’s lying? Because I feel like if he was lying someone would be able to say otherwise. But let me get this straight, quotes from Bennett and Boyd’s manager that weren’t denied by the Broncos board members are probably untrue but accusations from random bloke on BHQ are a possibility?

All I want is some evidence. There’s more pointing to Bennett having very little to do with it than there is the opposite.

I'm saying there is a conflict of interest and I'm not taking his words as gospel when it pertains to his clients, especially when it was such a weak defence of Bennett.

Now Mimis could be telling the truth and White took charge of negoations I can accept that. However I have a difficult time believing that Bennett wasn't consulted, wasn't aware of basic terms or how the deal was progressing from either sides point of view. I definitely have a difficult time believing that Bennett had the club's best interest at heart and was just happy Darius was being taken care of after that incident in 2008.

Bennett wasn't solely responsible, but as a head coach he had a role to play and he got it wrong in that instance. So did Paul White, Peter Nolan and Darren Lockyer who continued to get it wrong for the next two years alongside a coach White and Lockyer brought to the club in Seibold. Do I blame Seibold for Croft, Kennar, Kennedy and all those players leaving? Absolutely, just like I blame Bennett for signing James Roberts although we were informed by Richo that Bennett wouldn't handle any signings.

I'm saying there is a conflict of interest and I'm not taking his words as gospel when it pertains to his clients, especially when it was such a weak defence of Bennett.

Now Mimis could be telling the truth and White took charge of negoations I can accept that. However I have a difficult time believing that Bennett wasn't consulted, wasn't aware of basic terms or how the deal was progressing from either sides point of view. I definitely have a difficult time believing that Bennett had the club's best interest at heart and was just happy Darius was being taken care of after that incident in 2008.

Bennett wasn't solely responsible, but as a head coach he had a role to play and he got it wrong in that instance. So did Paul White, Peter Nolan and Darren Lockyer who continued to get it wrong for the next two years alongside a coach White and Lockyer brought to the club in Seibold. Do I blame Seibold for Croft, Kennar, Kennedy and all those players leaving? Absolutely, just like I blame Bennett for signing James Roberts although we were informed by Richo that Bennett wouldn't handle any signings.
Again, all I’m asking is for proof. Knowing details and creating the details of Boyd’s contract are two different things. He was probably aware, I agree. But so what?

Probably not the thread to rehash this conversation for the millionth time.

Viva la Kevolution.

Yeah but did Kevvie know the details of his son’s deal with the Storm?

Last edited:
Bennett makes the 8 with our 2020 squad. No doubt in my mind. Why would he **** himself over if he wanted to stay another year.
I'm honestly not sure any Coach would have made the 8 with that injury toll. There is no doubt the Coach is significantly responsible for us running last, but I don't think better Coaching would have definitely put is inside the top 8 either. Some of the sides we sent out this year where we had injuries in the double digits were simply awful.

Last edited:
Again, all I’m asking is for proof. Knowing details and creating the details of Boyd’s contract are two different things. He was probably aware, I agree. But so what?

So he failed his duty as a head coach to procure the best playing roster moving forward. That's what fans on here are upset with and I don't blame them.

So he failed his duty as a head coach to procure the best playing roster moving forward. That's what fans on here are upset with and I don't blame them.
Look, I could be totally wrong here, but I thought a significant difference between Bennett in his initial stint at the Broncos and after his return in 2015 was around him no longer having sole control and responsibility for the football team?

I'm happy to hear if I've got this wrong and it wasn't the case, but I thought that the 'handshake deal every year instead of a contract' and having sole responsibility for the football team more or less died with Bruno Cullen and was a big part of why Bennett ever entertained leaving to go to the Roosters in the first place.

Now I'm not for a moment suggesting he didn't have a very significant influence over who the club recruited even when he returned in 2015, but we know for a fact the club has a recruitment and retention committee and that Bennett was just one member of that committee. I'm reading between the lines a little here now but I can also reasonably accept that within that committee (based on who else was there too) that his role as Coach is likely to tell the others what he wants from a personnel perspective and then it is up to the other members and particularly the guys in control of the finances (Paul White) to then go and make that happen and agree on terms with the relative player/player manager.

As I said, I'm not absolving Bennett of the blame on Boyd and he undoubtedly had a significant role in the decision to offer him another deal which we can all agree in hindsight was a mistake, but I think when it comes to being frustrated at the terms and length of that deal then it's unlikely to be Bennett that had the greatest say over that aspect of Boyd's last contract.

Last edited:

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • levikaden
  • ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.