NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

Broncos were at a pub for 15 minutes and back in camp by 8pm - media goes fucking nuts.

Storm player starts a brawl that had already been cooled down - media says he's a hero and saved his friend's life.
Yeah but they're a winning club so doesn't matter. It's all part of the high performance culture.

Brawl was in the off season though. Imagine if the broncos had an ice cream and also started a brawl outside the pub before a finals game....

If Milf has an ice cream in the off-season it would make headlines on here.

should have got Mcflurrys probably on a first name basis 😉

theres a Messina in Surry Hills. Can’t blame the boys if that’s what they were looking for.
That shits more addictive than gambling.

Don't believe it. Our PR team isn't shit, and they never corrected the times. I think he's full of shit.

Don't believe it. Our PR team isn't shit, and they never corrected the times. I think he's full of shit.
Take from this what you will, but I have a couple of mates who were out on a bucks party that night and they were at the same venue. The general consensus from them was the Broncos players were pretty quiet and thoroughly uneventful. They were apparently very enthusiastic on the pokies but not really on the drinks, and they were all mostly gone long before midnight. One of the younger players (I'll leave out names) stayed a bit longer and threw quite a bit of money through the machines, but in general they thought it was quite uneventful and hardly newspaper worthy.
[automerge]1571780268[/automerge]
theres a Messina in Surry Hills. Can’t blame the boys if that’s what they were looking for.
That shits more addictive than gambling.
Mate, give Rivareno on Crown Street a whirl. Makes Messina look mediocre by comparison.

Last edited:
Take from this what you will, but I have a couple of mates who were out on a bucks party that night and they were at the same venue. The general consensus from them was the Broncos players were pretty quiet and thoroughly uneventful. They were apparently very enthusiastic on the pokies but not really on the drinks, and they were all mostly gone long before midnight. One of the younger players (I'll leave out names) stayed a bit longer and threw quite a bit of money through the machines, but in general they thought it was quite uneventful and hardly newspaper worthy.

I don't think they got up to no good. But they shouldn't have been there that night.

I don't think they got up to no good. But they shouldn't have been there that night.
Is going out between 7pm and 10pm really a big deal though?

If you believe they were out past midnight then fair enough, but I've spoken to people who were actually there and their version of events from two weeks ago was almost exactly the same as Payne Haas describes them just now. They were there early in the night, most of them were gone in around half an hour or so. None of them were really drinking much, but they were very much into the pokies and only one of them stayed later than his team mates but even he was gone at a sensible hour. My mates reckon they left the venue themselves before midnight and they said the Broncos players were all gone long before that.

Last edited:
Is going out between 7pm and 10pm really a big deal though?

If you believe they were out past midnight then fair enough, but I've spoken to people who were actually there and their version of events from two weeks ago was almost exactly the same as Payne Haas describes them just now. They were there early in the night, most of them were gone in around half an hour or so. None of them were really drinking much, but they were very much into the pokies and only one of them stayed later than his team mates but even he was gone at a sensible hour. My mates reckon they left the venue themselves before midnight and they said the Broncos players were all gone long before that.

I actually couldn't give a stuff. They should have been with the team, preparing for an elimination final, which they lost in an massive way. Not going to get ice cream (As if Milford needs a fucking ice cream) and just stopping in at the pub and playing pokies.

If they'd won, we likely wouldn't hear about it. Fine. But we didn't, we got fucking destroyed.

I actually couldn't give a stuff. They should have been with the team, preparing for an elimination final, which they lost in an massive way. Not going to get ice cream (As if Milford needs a fucking ice cream) and just stopping in at the pub and playing pokies.

If they'd won, we likely wouldn't hear about it. Fine. But we didn't, we got fucking destroyed.
Yeah but how much of that is because they went out to get ice cream or play pokies?

I mean, you could argue its a sign of a team who doesn't care or isn't focussed. Or it could just be some young guys blowing off some steam in a really harmless way, at a pretty sensible hour, blown way, way out of proportion.

I've never played for an NRL team, but I could imagine it's a fairly intense environment, especially away from home the night before a final. There are guys who will thrive on the intensity and want to lock themselves in a hotel room and focus, and there are guys who will be better trying to relax and be normal blokes for a couple of hours. Team environments are like that.

Perhaps it had everything to do with the result. Perhaps it had nothing. I guess we'll never know. But the amount of blame it's worn honestly doesn't seem to be proportional to the huge and glaringly obvious problems we've had all year that could equally be blamed for such a dreadful performance.

The whole episode is a wound that will only be healed when we get the team back on the paddock and give Parra a serious touch up in return. It will stay with most everyone until such times as the boys show a demonstrable attitude of 'yeh we give a ****, and get this in ya Parra' The rest, (like this article) is all white noise to me.

The whole episode is a wound that will only be healed when we get the team back on the paddock and give Parra a serious touch up in return. It will stay with most everyone until such times as the boys show a demonstrable attitude of 'yeh we give a ****, and get this in ya Parra' The rest, (like this article) is all white noise to me.

We owe Parra and the Dragons a serious ass whooping next year.

Yeah but how much of that is because they went out to get ice cream or play pokies?

I mean, you could argue its a sign of a team who doesn't care or isn't focussed. Or it could just be some young guys blowing off some steam in a really harmless way, at a pretty sensible hour, blown way, way out of proportion.

I've never played for an NRL team, but I could imagine it's a fairly intense environment, especially away from home the night before a final. There are guys who will thrive on the intensity and want to lock themselves in a hotel room and focus, and there are guys who will be better trying to relax and be normal blokes for a couple of hours. Team environments are like that.

Perhaps it had everything to do with the result. Perhaps it had nothing. I guess we'll never know. But the amount of blame it's worn honestly doesn't seem to be proportional to the huge and glaringly obvious problems we've had all year that could equally be blamed for such a dreadful performance.
I have heard Lockyer talk about the importance of focusing on the training paddock and then relaxing in the lead up to a big game and not playing the game in your head beforehand. As long as they didn’t compromise their physical preparation by drinking or staying out too late then I don’t see the problem.

I have heard Lockyer talk about the importance of focusing on the training paddock and then relaxing in the lead up to a big game and not playing the game in your head beforehand. As long as they didn’t compromise their physical preparation by drinking or staying out too late then I don’t see the problem.

Well I mean, it obviously didn't work, so perhaps the idiots should try something different next time.

If you are going to perform like they did against Parramatta then they are gonna to have everything they do scrutinised. It it brings more professionalism great! That's not say what they did is that bad. It definitely seems the early reports have been watered down

What it does show is we have a massive leadership vacuum in our senior/older players. Until that changes we won't win the comp. I think we need some older leaders/captain to be signed more than we need a halfback and we really need a halfback. Not much out there though! We have done no succession planning for leaders as the older guys haven't stepped up and are now either underperforming or have moved on.

It looks like we are keeping Glenn so I think he is the captain with Lodge, Haaas, Fifita and Milford in the leadership group. I know Milford's leadership is an issue but he needs to step up as the chief play maker. Also Boyd and Macca (And possibly Gillett) need to be moved on or out of the top 17 (Gillett not out of the 17 if we can't move him on).

Last edited:
What players spend the night before a game preparing?

They prepare for a game all week, the night before is spent for relaxing and unwinding.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • Socnorb
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.