NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

The reality is you are both right. You are correct that this incident alone did not cause them to get thrashed, but Nashy is also right that them doing this, the night before an Elimination Final is a strong indicator of the attitude problem that this club has had probably since the end of the 2015 season. Rather than being addressed that attitude problem has been allowed to fester.

Sorted. Let's close this thread.

The reality is you are both right. You are correct that this incident alone did not cause them to get thrashed, but Nashy is also right that them doing this, the night before an Elimination Final is a strong indicator of the attitude problem that this club has had probably since the end of the 2015 season. Rather than being addressed that attitude problem has been allowed to fester.
Sure, I can see his point. Honestly I understand that on the surface it looks poor and it makes things hard for yourself when you get flogged the next day because people can use it against you as an excuse. I think a lot of people have already pointed out that if they'd won, we wouldn't be having this conversation, which suggests the actions themselves aren't a problem, it just makes you look bad if you get a bad result. All I'm saying is that we were going to get a bad result eventually because we're honestly just not a good football team and we were going to get found out for not addressing our playing weaknesses eventually.

Blaming the pokies just seems like a cop out for the fact our players are nowhere near good enough. Darius Boyd stayed in bed and didn't go for ice cream and he managed something like 4 runs for 30 metres all game. Payne Haas did go for ice cream and he was the only bloke to make over 100 metres for us. Fifita was there playing pokes (some might say he stayed later than any of them) and he had like 6 tackle busts in a side that got flogged 58-0.

Where I'm struggling is the idea that we're unique or different because our players were doing stuff like this. Literally every club is made up of players who do exactly the same things for the most part and some of those clubs win and some lose. Right now we're in the losing pile, but it's not like we can go out and get ourselves a squad of players who don't behave that way because they don't really exist in the modern NRL anymore.

It's not a matter of accepting that behaviour from the Broncos, it's accepting that behaviour from the entire NRL these days,

Last edited:
Sure, I can see his point. Honestly I understand that on the surface it looks poor and it makes things hard for yourself when you get flogged the next day because people can use it against you as an excuse. I think a lot of people have already pointed out that if they'd won, we wouldn't be having this conversation, which suggests the actions themselves aren't a problem, it just makes you look bad if you get a bad result. All I'm saying is that we were going to get a bad result eventually because we're honestly just not a good football team and we were going to get found out for not addressing our playing weaknesses eventually.

Blaming the pokies just seems like a cop out for the fact our players are nowhere near good enough. Darius Boyd stayed in bed and didn't go for ice cream and he managed something like 4 runs for 30 metres all game. Payne Haas did go for ice cream and he was the only bloke to make over 100 metres for us. Fifita was there playing pokes (some might say he stayed later than any of them) and he had like 6 tackle busts in a side that got flogged 58-0.

Where I'm struggling is the idea that we're unique or different because our players were doing stuff like this. Literally every club is made up of players who do exactly the same things for the most part and some of those clubs win and some lose. Right now we're in the losing pile, but it's not like we can go out and get ourselves a squad of players who don't behave that way because they don't really exist in the modern NRL anymore.

It's not a matter of accepting that behaviour from the Broncos, it's accepting that behaviour from the entire NRL these days,

I'm beginning to think that you're a failed footy player who couldn't get his shit together and is still pissed off he go sacked from a Jr team for playing the pokies when he should have been in bed.

I'm beginning to think that you're a failed footy player who couldn't get his shit together and is still pissed off he go sacked from a Jr team for playing the pokies when he should have been in bed.
Well getting personal just reflects poorly on you but since you asked:

If by failed you mean never played again after leaving high school then yeah, sure.

I've also never really played a poker machine in my life. I'm about as far from a punter as you could hope to be.

Perhaps I'm just realistic about what an NRL player looks like in 2019, and you're still wishing it was like the old days when they never played pokies or stayed out late...

I supposed if we just signed Folau and his mormon mates you wouldn't have to worry about poker machines ruining our chances anymore, so it'd just be Messina and Baskin Robbin's that gave you sleepless nights because I think even the mormons are allowed to have ice cream.

Last edited:
It’s not even about the pokies. It’s about how poor their preparation is. If they’re doing this before an elimination final, imagine what they’re doing before a normal round game against the Titans for example, you know, the one we should have won but still lost? Their heads aren’t in the game and with the amount the fans put into this team we should all expect better from them. They need to act like professionals or go play for the Titans or something

Well getting personal just reflects poorly on you but since you asked:

If by failed you mean never played again after leaving high school then yeah, sure.

I've also never really played a poker machine in my life. I'm about as far from a punter as you could hope to be.

Perhaps I'm just realistic about what an NRL player looks like in 2019, and you're still wishing it was like the old days when they never played pokies or stayed out late...

I supposed if we just signed Folau and his mormon mates you wouldn't have to worry about poker machines ruining our chances anymore, so it'd just be Messina and Baskin Robbin's that gave you sleepless nights because I think even the mormons are allowed to have ice cream.

Getting personal? Oh c'mon, chin up mate, I hope you'll get through that horrible personal attack.

I love the good old days argument. It's a cop out though isn't it? Because these are professional players, the old players, were not. Also, our old boys used to fucking win.

Like I said. If you're happy with the knowledge that our players don't give a stuff about the games they're meant to be preparing for, that's fine, I'm not going to change your mind.

I do hope you can get it through to you that if they're doing it on elimination final night, they're probably doing it for normal games. Again, if you're happy with that, I think you're mental, but whatever, you just don't hold the players to the same standards some of us do.

It’s kinda like that BHQ member who goes on about the same thing constantly (WB), but with a personal attack thrown in for good measure. I’m not overly concerned, but it was becoming rather amusing in a sort of trolling way.

A personal attack? How is it a personal attack to say I think he's a failed footballer? What a crock, go have another endone mate.

Hey? Seriously, stop playing the man. Play the ball remember.

Use the report feature if you have a problem with something that is posted on BroncosHQ that you think goes against our rules.

If playing pokies and hanging out at pubs constantly is really that common within the NRL. Then players need to learn to be more professional. It's not exactly a healthy lifestyle and there is plenty of evidence that suggests a healthy mentality is almost as important as a healthy body. Professional sporting clubs should be aiming to achieve peak performance from their players, maybe some more guidance in regards to these sorts of things would benefit the players and the game itself.

Whether you approve or not - after two years of humiliating loses, surely it's time to crack down on this shit. The approach and attitude is not right, if they won't improve it voluntarily, force them. If they don't buy in, **** off.

You can claim Broncos fans are entitled, but we do deserve better than what we've been dished up the last two years.

Yeah, if it’s not on, then clubs need to enforce that. I totally agree. These are young blokes that act like young blokes, and I’m sure the same sort of behaviour and worse exists in every other industry.
When it impacts on performance, that’s where guidance is needed, like you say.

I was just reading an article that said Australia has 18% of the world's pokies. That is crazy to think about, between that and the saturation of sports betting advertising throughout all our forms of media. It's no wonder that out country has a gambling problem. The government makes too much money off it to actually ever give a ****!

I was just reading an article that said Australia has 18% of the world's pokies. That is crazy to think about, between that and the saturation of sports betting advertising throughout all our forms of media. It's no wonder that out country has a gambling problem. The government makes too much money off it to actually ever give a ****!

Not to mention one of the heaviest drinking countries in the world. Waste your money on booze, waste your money of betting. It's the Aussie way.

Whether you approve or not - after two years of humiliating loses, surely it's time to crack down on this shit. The approach and attitude is not right, if they won't improve it voluntarily, force them. If they don't buy in, **** off.

You can claim Broncos fans are entitled, but we do deserve better than what we've been dished up the last two years.
So we f*** them off and replace them with who exactly? You don't think the next crop of guys we bring in will behave exactly the same way?

It's the NRL FFS, half the clubs are literally funded by a Leagues club. It's part of the DNA for the game in Sydney. It's gross and I don't personally support it, but you can't exactly be shocked that football players love poker machines.

Last edited:
So we f*** them off and replace them with who exactly? You don't think the next crop of guys we bring in will behave exactly the same way?

It's the NRL FFS, half the clubs are literally funded by a Leagues club. It's part of the DNA for the game in Sydney. It's gross and I don't personally support it, but you can't exactly be shocked that football players love poker machines.

I'm not talking about the pokies strictly. And I don't care who they replace them with, I want a group of blokes that won't embarrass the club and the fans. Why would you expect a new crop of guys replacing the old crop that had a bad attitude to behave the same way? Weird.

Also, drop it already. Your point of view is clear.

Nobody is asking to replace them. Instill a professional work ethic in them and ban them from pokies, soft drinks, Mcdonalds and all the other negative shit that affect their ability to become better rugby league players. Why bother coaching them to be their best if they're just going to go home and **** around. They've got ten years at their peak at the most, waste your money and life away when you're not earning millions and pissing on the fans with poor efforts every week. It's that simple. If you're not aspiring to be the best don't expect to play for the best clubs. You and anyone else making excuses for them is 100% supporting mediocrity.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • bazza
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Redux
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • jd87
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.