NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

What players spend the night before a game preparing?

They prepare for a game all week, the night before is spent for relaxing and unwinding.

If that's been the go this season and last, maybe give preparing a shot next year?

What players spend the night before a game preparing?

They prepare for a game all week, the night before is spent for relaxing and unwinding.

Go to the pub at the start of the week then. Middle of the week. Not the night before an elimination final.

They went to get ice cream, and go to the pub to gamble. The night before an elimination, and an absolute and utter flogging. Never mind that they would be in a minimum 4 star hotel, if they wanted fucking ice cream, dial 0 on the provided phone and ask for it.

They fucked up. They shouldn't have been there.

When they got to the shop

Milford: Can I get 6 cornettos............What are you guys having?
rB3ifUwrYKkMZ-y3Oi7vy2pt-Jd3sC9cJcjgVmE-sT8.png

Give me a couple of these, Anthony Griffin recommended them to me.

My only reservation with the pokies is how much they lost, if they lost.
I wouldn't think getting pumped for hundreds of $$ would set you in a good frame of mind. Isn't that why WB banned the punt in Alfies day.
I wouldn't know if Kents' info was accurate but he reported they were going at $10 a spin, that shit adds up fast.

Who the **** unwinds and relaxes in a pokie room. People still defending them are cooked

Who the **** unwinds and relaxes in a pokie room. People still defending them are cooked
Sadly, I think it might be you that's cooked. You've certainly never spent time around NRL players because I hate to break it to you, but aside from the Mormon guys, an enormous percentage of NRL players relax and unwind in exactly that fashion. I think you'd find it was far harder to find an NRL player who doesn't love pubs and poker machines than one who does.
[automerge]1571874409[/automerge]
Go to the pub at the start of the week then. Middle of the week. Not the night before an elimination final.

They went to get ice cream, and go to the pub to gamble. The night before an elimination, and an absolute and utter flogging. Never mind that they would be in a minimum 4 star hotel, if they wanted fucking ice cream, dial 0 on the provided phone and ask for it.

They fucked up. They shouldn't have been there.
Honestly, I'd just about guarantee the Storm players and Raiders players and Roosters players and Parramatta players have all done it at different stages this year. Origin teams are probably doing it, the Kangaroos probably do as well.

If you genuinely believe NRL players from Brisbane or any other team are all tucked up in bed by 8:00pm the night before a major game then you really do need to get out a bit more.

You can argue whether they should or shouldn't be, that's fine. But the reality is just about every NRL squad behaves exactly the same way, and they didn't all get flogged the next day. Some of them likely dished out the flogging.

Personally, I think you're giving far too much credit for the result to the pokies the night before and not nearly enough credit to just how bog average to downright terrible we have been all season.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think it might be you that's cooked. You've certainly never spent time around NRL players because I hate to break it to you, but aside from the Mormon guys, an enormous percentage of NRL players relax and unwind in exactly that fashion. I think you'd find it was far harder to find an NRL player who doesn't love pubs and poker machines than one who does.

Honestly, I'd just about guarantee the Storm players and Raiders players and Roosters players and Parramatta players have all done it at different stages this year. Origin teams are probably doing it, the Kangaroos probably do as well.

If you genuinely believe NRL players from Brisbane or any other team are all tucked up in bed by 8:00pm the night before a major game then you really do need to get out a bit more.

You can argue whether they should or shouldn't be, that's fine. But the reality is just about every NRL squad behaves exactly the same way, and they didn't all get flogged the next day. Some of them likely dished out the flogging.

Personally, I think you're giving far too much credit for the result to the pokies the night before and not nearly enough credit to just how bog average to downright terrible we have been all season.
Then that highlights a problem with rugby league as a whole.

I don't think anyone thinks footy players are in bed at 8pm, but if we don't hold them to standards off the field then why bother being a fan? We pay our hard earned money to support a successful team. It's poor form for them to not be preparing in the best way possible and a kick in the guts for us, the fans. Go out to the pokies after the game. Spend ten years earning money and reaching your peak physical condition instead of wasting the million dollars you earn on soft drinks (Milford) and pissing it all away on gambling (Milford). Sorry, I don't think it's fair to chastise anyone on here for holding our players to relatively low standards.

Maybe the fact that every team is out doing these things is why nobody is on the same level as Smith and Cronk anymore. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of blokes with their work ethic and fans who don't make excuses for the players mediocrity.

They lost 58-0. They shouldn't have been there.

Perhaps fans not giving a **** is part of the reason this club doesn't seem to give a **** now too.

They lost 58-0. They shouldn't have been there.

Perhaps fans not giving a **** is part of the reason this club doesn't seem to give a **** now too.
I'm going to say it again. You give way, way, waaaaayyyy too much credit for the result to a half hour stroll for some ice cream and a slap on the pokies and far too little credit to just how awful we spent most of 2019 being.

That kind of hiding was already written on the wall. We've been at risk all year of teams pulling our pants down and on a few occasions they actually achieved it.

To put into context just how badly you're overstating something so trivial and ignoring the big picture: Last season we were at home for week one of the finals. No night time CBD stroll, no ice cream, no pokies. Players at home in their own beds with their families for the most part. The result the next day: St George Illawarra 48 - Brisbane Broncos 18. At Home, in front of a full house of home fans. A better team, who had a better season too. Realistically a far worse hiding in the context of the season overall.

All the ice cream and pokies or lack thereof aside, it isn't going to change the fact that we're just not a good football team at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm going to say it again. You give way, way, waaaaayyyy too much credit for the result to a half hour stroll for some ice cream and a slap on the pokies and far too little credit to just how awful we spent most of 2019 being.

That kind of hiding was already written on the wall. We've been at risk all year of teams pulling our pants down and on a few occasions they actually achieved it.

To put into context just how badly you're overstating something so trivial and ignoring the big picture: Last season we were at home for week one of the finals. No night time CBD stroll, no ice cream, no pokies. Players at home in their own beds with their families for the most part. The result the next day: St George Illawarra 48 - Brisbane Broncos 18. At Home, in front of a full house of home fans. A better team, who had a better season too. Realistically a far worse hiding in the context of the season overall.

All the ice cream and pokies or lack thereof aside, it isn't going to change the fact that we're just not a good football team at the moment.

There are other threads dedicated to the rest of the season, where you find complaints there too.

The big picture is that our players think it's ok to do what they did, on the night of an elimination final. It's void of thought, they didn't consider how it would look from the outside, and for the love of ****, Milford doesn't need any damned ice cream.

There are other threads dedicated to the rest of the season, where you find complaints there too.

The big picture is that our players think it's ok to do what they did, on the night of an elimination final. It's void of thought, they didn't consider how it would look from the outside, and for the love of ****, Milford doesn't need any damned ice cream.
Sure, but 12 months ago we didn't do any of those things the night before a crucial semi final and we still got our ass handed to us. Arguably it was a much worse result considering we were at home and the opposition was far lower quality.

Ice cream doesn't change a thing. Rubbish teams are capable of getting badly beaten whether they eat ice cream in Surry Hills at 8pm the night before a game or they're tucked up in their own beds at home. We are literally living, breathing proof of exactly that.

Sure, but 12 months ago we didn't do any of those things the night before a crucial semi final and we still got our ass handed to us. Arguably it was a much worse result considering we were at home and the opposition was far lower quality.

Ice cream doesn't change a thing. Rubbish teams are capable of getting badly beaten whether they eat ice cream in Surry Hills at 8pm the night before a game or they're tucked up in their own beds at home. We are literally living, breathing proof of exactly that.

Perhaps we just didn't hear about it 13 months ago.

You're expectations suck if you're ok with this.

Perhaps we just didn't hear about it 13 months ago.

You're expectations suck if you're ok with this.
As I've said repeatedly. I don't think the pokies have anything to do with that result to the extent you're making out.

Our spine is simply dreadful. Probably the worst in the comp. It wouldn't pressure a Queensland Cup side on a good day. Our Wingers had their worst seasons ever in first grade at the same time. We played a Backrower in the Centres for some reason? Our best enforcer was on a 5 game suspension. We only had two Forwards on the Bench for some reason? We played Shibasaki for some reason? It was also the second year in a row we've dished up the same absolute horseshit in an elimination final. We finished the year with our lowest points total ever in the NRL era. In literally any other year we wouldn't have even made it to the finals. It was actually lower than 2010 where we actually didn't make the finals. This statistically speaking is the worst Broncos team in history.

But yeah, sure, if we had just stayed in the hotel room that night instead of getting ice cream we'd have definitely taken it to Parra.

Last edited:
I expect better of our players, you don't, that's fine.

Having some discipline on the night before our games all year might have made a difference. It would at least show that they give a ****.

As I've said repeatedly. I don't think the pokies have anything to do with that result to the extent you're making out.

Our spine is simply dreadful. Probably the worst in the comp. It wouldn't pressure a Queensland Cup side on a good day. Our Wingers had their worst seasons ever in first grade at the same time. We played a Backrower in the Centres for some reason? Our best enforcer was on a 5 game suspension. We only had two Forwards on the Bench for some reason? We played Shibasaki for some reason? It was also the second year in a row we've dished up the same absolute horseshit in an elimination final. We finished the year with our lowest points total ever in the NRL era. In literally any other year we wouldn't have even made it to the finals. It was actually lower than 2010 where we actually didn't make the finals. This statistically speaking is the worst Broncos team in history.

But yeah, sure, if we had just stayed in the hotel room that night instead of getting ice cream we'd have definitely taken it to Parra.
The reality is you are both right. You are correct that this incident alone did not cause them to get thrashed, but Nashy is also right that them doing this, the night before an Elimination Final is a strong indicator of the attitude problem that this club has had probably since the end of the 2015 season. Rather than being addressed that attitude problem has been allowed to fester.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Tim K
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • MrMoore
  • The Don
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncs30
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • jd87
  • Foordy
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.