The NRL published TPA figures...

You'd assume Sammy would be our most marketable player by some margin and for good reason too.

Can someone explain what the TPA are and how it works please.

Episode VII
The Phorce Awakens

It is a troubling time for the Jedi. With a groundswell of anti-religious sentiment, the legitimacy of the Force itself is questioned, leading to a new term “The Phorce”, suggesting there is no such power and it has all been a ploy to brainwash weak minds.

Third Party Agreements
Third party agreements are payments made by companies directly to players. There is no restriction on the amount a player can earn through third party agreements where he is being paid for his own intellectual property, without the need to employ club logos or names and where the company involved is neither a club sponsor nor are they acting on behalf of a club to secure the player's services. An example of this is a player promoting a brand or product, for example, Billy Slater and Australian Bananas.
All third party agreements must be registered and approved beforehand. This is to ensure that they do not become a way for clubs or players to use sponsors or third parties to undermine the salary cap and also for the game to ensure the protection of club and game intellectual property. There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

I couldn't GAF how much players get through TPAs but it shits me every time Kent and co (nearly every week) bang on about the so called advantage we have. Very thinly veiled accusations that we are cheating.
His personal hate for WB has turned him into a little bitch complaining about Brisbane every chance he gets.

So it’s seems to me the NRL wants to stop players from earning money except for there wage under the salary cap. The nrl wants to stop players from endorsing or promoting anything else than NRL WTF.

Episode VII
The Phorce Awakens

It is a troubling time for the Jedi. With a groundswell of anti-religious sentiment, the legitimacy of the Force itself is questioned, leading to a new term “The Phorce”, suggesting there is no such power and it has all been a ploy to brainwash weak minds.

Just picturing this guy saying phworce and it all makes sense:

maxresdefault.jpg

TPA system to be frank is up the creek currently with relationship to accuracy. The raise of base salary was great but as the new cap this extra room has been soaked up already, however the players group voted and are happy on this. There is the issue however some clubs will/do struggle to afford their cap and then also struggle with generating TPA because they don't have the cattle which are marketable as TPA to subsidise their salary.

You cant put a restriction on TPA's - as really if someone is a character or identity they are entitled to generate as much money as they like outside of the rectangle. Whats the solution to restrict the paper bags? ATO declared income to cross match previous years declared salary/TPA contracts? Still wont solve issues of exceptionally high TPA/rented houses/cars for personal use or family.

2 things. First, if the Roosters players don’t have any TPA’s I’ll walk from here to Perth, nude. Second, the only way to fix the rorts is for the NRL to require the players’ tax returns.

If the players’ tax returns were provided they’d have caught the storm in 5 minutes.

Personally I think the salary cap is bullshit and it should be turfed. It just protects the poorly run clubs.

2 things. First, if the Roosters players don’t have any TPA’s I’ll walk from here to Perth, nude. Second, the only way to fix the rorts is for the NRL to require the players’ tax returns.

If the players’ tax returns were provided they’d have caught the storm in 5 minutes.

Personally I think the salary cap is bullshit and it should be turfed. It just protects the poorly run clubs.

Players tax returns won’t include cash payments

If the figure of 93 players is accurate that's 5-6 a club. The $3.76 million is $235,000 a club. It't not going to be even obviously because players like Smith and Slater are going to command so much more of that $3.76 million pie while Lodge is not getting any of it.
Lodge could always do advertising for a security door company.

the issue with scrapping the salary cap is we would end up with 4 to 6 teams playing in the nrl.
broncos, roosters, storm, cows and maybe dogs and eels - although if the eels leagues club ever pulled their funding the footy club would be cooked. the others wouldnt survive

Players tax returns won’t include cash payments
They should, or they are committing offences which carry significant penalties (like, jail).

Very much doubt the players are bright enough to outsmart the ATO.

the issue with scrapping the salary cap is we would end up with 4 to 6 teams playing in the nrl.
broncos, roosters, storm, cows and maybe dogs and eels - although if the eels leagues club ever pulled their funding the footy club would be cooked. the others wouldnt survive

But it would create space for more, well run, teams.

Personally I prefer a prefer a system where you only have a cap on imported players (until said import has, say, played 150 games for your club, then he's cap free).

Home grown players should be cap free.

That means that players can earn more and the incentive to nick off for money would be reduced (because your original club can pay you whatever it likes and the prospective new club can only pay what's in the cap).

It would advantage clubs that develop and disadvantage clubs that don't.

I'm fine with that. It's about time these clubs took responsibility for being run into the ground. Any other business, they go under.

The good thing here, we have a few bids around the country which deserve a shot. Kill of the useless pricks, give someone else a go. I'm over the NRL bailing out clubs who continually run them like this, and rely solely on poker machines. It's a pathetic existence, and a horrible look. The NRL shouldn't own any clubs either. Once you're out of money, your license is void, you're gone.

They should, or they are committing offences which carry significant penalties (like, jail).

Very much doubt the players are bright enough to outsmart the ATO.

Many many tradies are "bright" enough to outsmart the ATO. It's cash - it's untraceable, that's the point.

Tax records also don't show the other tactics used to bypass the salary cap - @007 alluded to rent, but it can extend much further. Like the rumoured properties that were able to be purchased by certain players for way below market value. Or like, boats arriving on someone's driveway ("It's my uncle's"). And let's not forget that the player's managers are a big part of all this - after all, all the money goes through them whether it's above board or not. Black money can simply be payed to the manager, who then transfers it to dodgy accounts or to buy whatever it is the player would otherwise purchase themselves.

Many many tradies are "bright" enough to outsmart the ATO. It's cash - it's untraceable, that's the point.

Tax records also don't show the other tactics used to bypass the salary cap - @007 alluded to rent, but it can extend much further. Like the rumoured properties that were able to be purchased by certain players for way below market value. Or like, boats arriving on someone's driveway ("It's my uncle's"). And let's not forget that the player's managers are a big part of all this - after all, all the money goes through them whether it's above board or not. Black money can simply be payed to the manager, who then transfers it to dodgy accounts or to buy whatever it is the player would otherwise purchase themselves.

The tax office has caught far brighter people than these clowns. I tell you, their data matching stuff is amazing.

The "it's my uncle's" - that's called a fringe benefit (fringe benefits tax). Provision of rent or a rent reduction is an fb too.

And if the clubs are paying under the table, then their payroll tax isn't up to date.

BTW if tax records won't reveal rorts, why do the players always seem to buck about the NRL seeing them.

Player's and clubs audited (by an auditor, say KPMG) tax records must be delivered to NRL HQ each year. Club fails, out of the comp for the next year. Player fails, automatic deregistration for a year. Fail again, permanent bans.

The tax office has caught far brighter people than these clowns. I tell you, their data matching stuff is amazing.

The "it's my uncle's" - that's called a fringe benefit (fringe benefits tax). Provision of rent or a rent reduction is an fb too.

And if the clubs are paying under the table, then their payroll tax isn't up to date.

BTW if tax records won't reveal rorts, why do the players always seem to buck about the NRL seeing them.

Player's and clubs audited (by an auditor, say KPMG) tax records must be delivered to NRL HQ each year. Club fails, out of the comp for the next year. Player fails, automatic deregistration for a year. Fail again, permanent bans.

You can't have independent people come into the NRL. It's too much of a risk that the current administration would be shown for what they are. Useless.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • RodF
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.