The Queensland Halfback

I've been advocating elsewhere that DCE is IMHO ready to play Origin.

I would pick him now to be the QLD halfback. Cronk can play in the forwards...halves......anywhere in the backs

he is a by far better utility option for the side. Please no Ben Barba and no Matt Bowen.

If we do play Cronk as the starting half, which can be rightly argued by most, when will DCE get his chance? I agree having him as a utility isn't what's best for the side. If DCE doesn't start he shouldn't be in the 17 at all.

Do we bring Cronk back to the bench next year when DCE continues to tear them up. He will only get better and better this kid. His inclusion won't be able to be denied soon

Leaving Cronk on the bench and DCE starting strengthens the 17 man team for the future.

DCE is an insane player. He is the next Andrew Johns if you ask me

Pfftt........!!

The next Alfie Langer you mean........

DCE is certainly not Origin material at the moment. He needs to string together more performances like Monday night, where Stewart and Lyon weren't on either side of him babysitting. There are real concerns how he went MIA in big games last year. He has a great kicking game which is a great base to work from, but plenty of work to do to round out his game.

Manley are last years premiers. He couldn't have gone missing in too many big games.......

Sure, chuck DCE in at 7. I'd be happier with that than Cronk. The strength of Queensland is their teamwork and chemistry, not the skills of the individuals. Cronk has been slowly eased into the team over a number of years and groomed for the position; if you want to leave him on the bench in favour of a rookie who's never played alongside 95% of the other players it levels the competition a tiny bit.
Thurston and Cronk are both 29; if DCE maintains his club form he'll be a starter for the Maroons within the next five years. There's absolutely no need to rush him.

Oooh. Thurston, Slater, Smith and Cronk are all the same age. Sweet. Once they've all retired in four years time the Blues might be a chance lol.

Thurston and Cronk are both 29; if DCE maintains his club form he'll be a starter for the Maroons within the next five years. There's absolutely no need to rush him.

This.

Slater and Smith both turn 29 this year too. Even if we did blood DCE for the future, unless you have the Slater, Smith and Thurston replacements lined up too it's not going to matter. Afterall, how many series did we lose with Lockyer having not much around him? There will be a time later this decade I'm sure when NSW will be the dominant squad again -- for now we should just stack more series wins on top of our existing 6 and enjoy it while it lasts.

As for the bench utility, surely it's going to be Gillett.

Let's also not forget the "Storm connection".
With Slater, Smith and Cronk playing together all year, while Thurston has always been playing alongside them in rep football, it would be a mistake not to take advantage of it, which is pretty much what Dukey means I'm sure.

I hold a secret hope that Barba, DCE and Norman will continue this dynasty, but where are we going to get another Smith from?
I used to think that Macca had similar characteristics, but I now doubt he'll get to that level...

Let's also not forget the "Storm connection".
With Slater, Smith and Cronk playing together all year, while Thurston has always been playing alongside them in rep football, it would be a mistake not to take advantage of it, which is pretty much what Dukey means I'm sure.

I hold a secret hope that Barba, DCE and Norman will continue this dynasty, but where are we going to get another Smith from?
I used to think that Macca had similar characteristics, but I now doubt he'll get to that level...

That's why Cronk will get the nod, his connection with the Storm boys is valuable and he has been groomed to take over.

Matt ballin will replace smith down the track

Matt ballin will replace smith down the track

I doubt it. Matt Ballin is in his age 28 season, whereas Cam Smith will be 29 this year. Maybe if Cam retires first Ballin will get one series or so, but I'd have thought that once Smith goes one of the younger hookers about will get the nod. McCullough is probably a contender but if he's still sober by then (BIG IF) then I reckon Jake Friend might get it.

Jake Friend gets better all the time and is tough as anything, has Origin written all over him. Also like the fact it appears he has learnt from some very public incidents that almost lost him his career.

Yeah, plenty of good hookers coming through - you can throw in Srama & Segeyaro too.

All very young hookers, I think people forget that Smith didn't really kick on until he was 23.

There's quite a few young hookers coming up through the ranks. Will be very interesting in 3-4 years time to see who's asserted themselves as next in line for Smith's throne.

By then there'll be absolutely no doubt Smith was the greatest hooker of our generation, if not all time (very hard to compare hookers of past generations because their role has changed probably more than any other player).

Can't see Ballin getting picked unless Smith is injured. When Smith retires we will have a few young hookers to choose from before picking Ballin.

Yep, Ballin will be like Prince. Any other era he likely would've played 3-4 series. But he's stuck behind Smith, just like Prince was stuck behind Thurston, Lockyer and Cronk.

Marrons have plenty of depth for Halfback. Cronk, Cherry, Sandow etc. Five-eigth no depth, even had to switch JT from HB to fill that spot.

Thurston has always really been a 5/8th anyway. He only played halfback because of the insane opinion that it makes you get more ball.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Painin the Haas
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • IceWorks
  • Ozired
  • mitch222
  • Lurker
  • Big Del
  • ozzball
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.