The Run Home

This is actually the most confident I've been in a while. Say what you want about the team, no genuine 7, etc, but we've found a way to win close games this year whereas in previous years we've found a way to lose.

To me, winning close games is a better indication of a quality team than simply blowing teams off the park, which just doesn't happen often in the big games that count.

I also, despite my previous years of calling out Milford, think he's developed so damn well that he IS a genuine halfback now, and can carry this team to success, and Nikorima only has to take the pressure off Milford now with some smart running and good choices in attack so opposition teams can't just entirely focus on Milford.

Milford's improvement as a player is one of the most impressive things I've seen to date honestly, he went from a fullback, to a really good 5/8, and then out of necessity of having no fucking halfback, has developed outstandingly well to fill that role. He is definitely deserving of his million dollar salary. His improvement (kicking game, game management) is simply awesome, not many players can add to their game, you only need to look at Hunt, Hoffman, Macca, etc. Most players simply can't go up a level, but Milford has and I believe he will continue to get better.

We've said it before but Milford is clearly the player to build the side around. Give him a decent spine who could at least attract some heat away ....give him just that bit more time...bit more space.

I think a no.7 is where he'll end up. If Bird is going to fit in anywhere, it has to be 5/8.

We've said it before but Milford is clearly the player to build the side around. Give him a decent spine who could at least attract some heat away ....give him just that bit more time...bit more space.

I think a no.7 is where he'll end up. If Bird is going to fit in anywhere, it has to be 5/8.
Yep, that's exactly what I see happening, Milford 7, Bird 6, kind of like Inglis in his days at 6. I don't think he'll be there long term, but if Milford develops enough, Bird only has to be rock solid in defence, and attract defenders with his runs for it to work.

Yep, that's exactly what I see happening, Milford 7, Bird 6, kind of like Inglis in his days at 6. I don't think he'll be there long term, but if Milford develops enough, Bird only has to be rock solid in defence, and attract defenders with his runs for it to work.

This is the only position that could work for Bird, everywhere else he is basically surplus to needs.

This is the only position that could work for Bird, everywhere else he is basically surplus to needs.

You really underestimate what Jack Bird can bring to the team.

You really underestimate what Jack Bird can bring to the team.

Yeah I realise how that post could be read that way, sorry. I'm aware Jack Bird is a very good but I cannot forget the price tag he comes with.

And other than five-eighth or centre, I just don't see where he fits in. Then you look at how good Staggs looks so far at centre, you wonder hmmm, should we move him for an injured and unfit Bird?

Then, you look at the halves and as much as KNik has not set the world on fire, he is starting to signs of improvement and he and Milf have now established a winning combination, do you break that to fit in essentially another running back?

Then you look at second row and you have Gillett and Su'A, and even with Gillett out, you have TPJ destroying just about every team he comes up against, do you want to break that up for a guy who would basically be Oates, playing in a position he hasn't played much of before.

Then you look at lock and you have the current Australian lock in that position, followed by Joffa who would play there without even thinking twice, even if McGuire wasn't there. On top of that, you have TPJ who is an absolute weapon. That puts Bird fourth in line for this position.

Finally, you play him at fullback? Well, Boyd ain't moving while Bennett is here, and especially since he is starting to look a lot better now.

So that leaves bench utility. This could certainly work but he becomes a very expensive bench utility.

The only other place I'd consider putting him, and I know it is controversial, is hooker. And while he is pretty much just better than average, Macca is the current Qld number 9, hardly likely to be moved anytime soon.

So, where would you guys put him?

1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14?

Top 4 is far from set especially if a few teams cop a few injuries in key departments. There is always a bit of luck involved in making it through to the grand final without missing a lot of top line talent which a lot of squads in the 8 haven't missed this year.

This is SO true that I hope either;

a) Wayne reads this forum and trusts your judgement

or

b) you actually are Wayne

Time will tell :)

Yeah I realise how that post could be read that way, sorry. I'm aware Jack Bird is a very good but I cannot forget the price tag he comes with.

And other than five-eighth or centre, I just don't see where he fits in. Then you look at how good Staggs looks so far at centre, you wonder hmmm, should we move him for an injured and unfit Bird?

Then, you look at the halves and as much as KNik has not set the world on fire, he is starting to signs of improvement and he and Milf have now established a winning combination, do you break that to fit in essentially another running back?

Then you look at second row and you have Gillett and Su'A, and even with Gillett out, you have TPJ destroying just about every team he comes up against, do you want to break that up for a guy who would basically be Oates, playing in a position he hasn't played much of before.

Then you look at lock and you have the current Australian lock in that position, followed by Joffa who would play there without even thinking twice, even if McGuire wasn't there. On top of that, you have TPJ who is an absolute weapon. That puts Bird fourth in line for this position.

Finally, you play him at fullback? Well, Boyd ain't moving while Bennett is here, and especially since he is starting to look a lot better now.

So that leaves bench utility. This could certainly work but he becomes a very expensive bench utility.

The only other place I'd consider putting him, and I know it is controversial, is hooker. And while he is pretty much just better than average, Macca is the current Qld number 9, hardly likely to be moved anytime soon.

So, where would you guys put him?

1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14?

My post was more about your attitude about the Bird signing.

We need players like him in our squad. It's not just what he can do with the ball, it's what he can do off the ball and off the field. He's a competitor. He's the kind of player that would fight tooth and nail for the side. He's arrogant, he's cocky and his attitude can lift players.

His confidence has taken a hit this season due to struggling with injuries and trying to adjust to life up here. But we'll get the Jack Bird we all saw at the Sharks, and when we do, we will benefit from it.

For a player that can play just about any position in the back line and can also play in the forwards, take into consideration he was a premiership winning centre and one of the best centres in the game, 750k wasn't exactly a bad price.

We've been struggling to find competitors. We had one in Reed, and we've been struggling to replace him ever since.

We have players that are a bit more talented with the ball, but players like Bird are more valuable due to what they can do without the ball.

My post was more about your attitude about the Bird signing.

We need players like him in our squad. It's not just what he can do with the ball, it's what he can do off the ball and off the field. He's a competitor. He's the kind of player that would fight tooth and nail for the side. He's arrogant, he's cocky and his attitude can lift players.

His confidence has taken a hit this season due to struggling with injuries and trying to adjust to life up here. But we'll get the Jack Bird we all saw at the Sharks, and when we do, we will benefit from it.

For a player that can play just about any position in the back line and can also play in the forwards, take into consideration he was a premiership winning centre and one of the best centres in the game, 750k wasn't exactly a bad price.

We've been struggling to find competitors. We had one in Reed, and we've been struggling to replace him ever since.

We have players that are a bit more talented with the ball, but players like Bird are more valuable due to what they can do without the ball.

We've been over this all before. No one has doubted his quality at all, not even me. He is a competitor, so is Arrow, TPJ, Roberts, etc all in positions he can play.

Kahu, probably Isaako and Boyd can all play anywhere in the backline. Oates and Staggs can play just about any position Bird can play for probably half his price. TPJ, McGuire even and Roberts can all lift other players, especially Milf when he is on.

And let's not forget, Bird is a premiership winning RIGHT centre. The Broncs need a left centre and on top of that, it doesn't even sound like Bird actually even wants to play centre.

Once again, I do NOT doubt Bird's ability, he is a really good player, one you would love to have on your bench or if you didn't have other, cheaper options available that can produce well enough without the price tag. That money could easily have been spent strengthening other necessary weaknesses, like 7 or even 9.

And yes, it is all ifs and buts but do not forget, he is a Bronco now, so I want him to succeed as much as anyone else. It does not mean however, that he is, was or has been a good recruitment decision. Up until now, he absolutely hasn't been, that cannot be argued legitimately.

That said, I WANT to have egg on my face when he returns.

I envision it finishing this way.

1 Stg
2 Syd
3 Melb
4 Pen
5 Bris
6 Sths
7 Cron
8 NZ

GF- Stg v Syd
Premiers- Syd

I reckon Souths will finish higher than 6th.

I dont really want to see Bird this season, unless for some reason he is absolutely setting the world on fire at training, in 6. The team is hitting it's stride, don't want disruptions. Nikorima is the only expendable Bronco in the starting line up in my eyes. I suppose he could take Magos position off the bench as well.

Not sure how this thread drifted to Jack Bird when he isn't even featuring in the run home...

Anyway back on topic, agree with above posters re:Rabbitohs. Of their remaining 8 games they only play 2 sides currently in the top 8. They'd have to be favourites for the minor prem and a certainty for top 4.

Short of Reynolds or Cook picking up a season ending injury I just don't see how their best team isn't a genuine premiership threat.

The Panthers loss tonight is already having significant implications for the top 4. Roosters should overtake them with a win over the Titans and one of us or the Warriors will be level at the end of the round.

Given the ease of the Panthers run home I think if we can beat them at Suncorp next week they'll be heading to Lottoland with their top 4 hopes on the line. Meanwhile, we will be hosting the Sharks with a chance to surge ahead of them with the Dogs and Cows looming as easier fixtures on the horizon.

My suspicion is that the Storm will take 2nd and the Roosters will be 3rd with either us or the Dragons 4th.

Last edited:
The dogs in Sydney is gonna be one of our hardest games in the run home. They always lift against us when they’re at home. Hopefully we can win all our home games at least and whilst the cows usually lift too, they will struggle to out point us after the season they’ve had.

Andrew McCullough looked jaded in the 10 mins he played in Origin Wednesday night.

We should give him the rest of the season off and run "The Turps".

Top 4 finish fo sure......

Donkos 9th - form last week was just a sign of things to come.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • levikaden
  • ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.