NEWS The Third Coming of Wayne Bennett

New CEO Duncan Donuts isn't ruling out the third coming of Wayne Bennett possibly as coaching director or culture boss. And the players are right behind him. Not only that but the Voice of Brisbane claims it can name more than 10 players who've told their managers they'd switch to Brisbane‘s second team if Bennett is coach. For now, it's keeping those names a big secret, but let's hear what these Broncos have to say:

Corey Oates

“If Wayne was to come back it’d be awesome. Everyone would think the same thing. Wayne’s name speaks for itself. I know it was tough when he left in 2018, but that’s not on us, it was with everyone upstairs. Personally, as a player, I get along well with him. I really enjoyed having him here and everything I learned from him.

“It’s just his experience, knowledge and history he has with the club. That’s what the Broncos have been missing. With ‘Kevvie’ the passion has come back. They’d be a great combination together.”

Screenwayne bennett

Still has it

Matt Lodge:

“He is still one of the best mentors in the game. He made me feel like I would run through a brick wall for him so he clearly does something right. I don’t know it would work with two people running the show, but I’ve always respected Wayne and he did a lot for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what he did for me letting me come back to the game at the Broncos. I definitely felt the love when he was here, he stuck up for me a lot, whether that was media criticism or the off-field stuff I was going through."

“We definitely have that connection where I played for him and played hard for him. He would be a great person for some of the young guys we have here. I don’t know who runs the show or does what, but if Wayne came back to help Walters, I guess the Broncos have to put that business plan together.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr :

“I’m really close to Wayne. We still keep in contact, he has always been a great mentor for me. Kevvie is doing a great job here and he reminds me a lot of Wayne in the way he treats people. Kevvie is getting the best out of me. Even though some results haven‘t gone our way, he is holding me accountable.”

Payne Haas:

“Wayne brought me to the Broncos and he has been a massive influence on my career. My dad actually wanted me to go to Melbourne, I was about to sign on the dotted line, but I got a call from Wayne at the last minute and he brought me to the Broncos and I haven’t looked back since. If he came back, it would be pretty cool, I know several of the boys would love to have Wayne back around, but we‘ll see what happens.”

Tom Flegler:

“His resume speaks for itself. I haven’t heard a single thing about Bennett returning, I find out most things through the media (such as the articles penned by award winning senior sports writer Peter Badel), but it would be great to have him back. Look at what he has done. He is a great coach and I’d love to play under him.”

McHunt

It’s a no brainer. Give him a role that doesn’t involve coaching and call it whatever you want. Culture and Development, Head of Football operations, who gives a shit.

Give the old fella $2m a year and a statue at Suncorp and the Wayne Bennett stand and the hottest 40 year old secretary in the business and make it happen.
Giving him all of that would absolutely prove the decision was made with no brain - correct (edit - I understand this was satirical but you're scarily close to what people are thinking should genuinely happen)

Giving him all of that would absolutely prove the decision was made with no brain - correct (edit - I understand this was satirical but you're scarily close to what people are thinking should genuinely happen)
I reckon it should happen exactly as @theshed suggests but also Morris and White should both publicly atone for their sins against Wayne and the Broncos and maybe organise to give him the keys to the city.

I reckon it should happen exactly as @theshed suggests but also Morris and White should both publicly atone for their sins against Wayne and the Broncos and maybe organise to give him the keys to the city.
If we're being fair, Wayne should be allowed to publicly teabag both of them, specially broadcast on Channel 9 and Fox,.

It’s not proven, it’s an educated guess based on history and facts. He’s an old guy who has been the coach and boss for 30 odd years and has given no indication he wants to stop. Would never accept playing second fiddle anywhere. As I said if he could stick to whatever role we threw his way I could accept it but I simply don’t believe this would happen.
Err, why is his age relevant? He's been a career coach but never been a boss. I suppose he was boss of his staff, his underlings but never an overall boss. He hasn't given any indication he wants to stop and I suppose you haven't either. He's always had bosses and played second and third 'fiddle' his entire career. So, without any data which you would accept and despite there being much data that demonstrates he has always played lesser roles you still make this baseless claim.

You should just use your last 7 words and add 'because I said so'.

Err, why is his age relevant? He's been a career coach but never been a boss. I suppose he was boss of his staff, his underlings but never an overall boss. He hasn't given any indication he wants to stop and I suppose you haven't either. He's always had bosses and played second and third 'fiddle' his entire career. So, without any data which you would accept and despite there being much data that demonstrates he has always played lesser roles you still make this baseless claim.

I think it's fair to say he was pretty comfortably the boss of the football team and realistically the whole football department, or at least what constituted a football department back then, all the way from 1988 - 2008.

His age is relevant because old fuddy duddy dinosaurs get stuck in their ways and refuse to see the error of them. In short they become stubborn old pricks. It was always lauded Bennett was given complete control when he was here in the early days, you mustn’t have been watching or listening closely enough if you missed that.

the other Data I have is first hand accounts of the man himself, and no that’s not his friend Sam Thaiday in the qantas lounge.

His age is relevant because old fuddy duddy dinosaurs get stuck in their ways and refuse to see the error of them. In short they become stubborn old pricks. It was always lauded Bennett was given complete control when he was here in the early days, you mustn’t have been watching or listening closely enough if you missed that.

the other Data I have is first hand accounts of the man himself, and no that’s not his friend Sam Thaiday in the qantas lounge.
If those 'fuddy duddy ways' keep you consistently playing Finals, have resulted in 7 Premierships, not to mention some absolutely ridiculous 'against the odds' Origin series wins, should we really be surprised if he wants to stick to them?

If those 'fuddy duddy ways' keep you consistently playing Finals, have resulted in 7 Premierships, not to mention some absolutely ridiculous 'against the odds' Origin series wins, should we really be surprised if he wants to stick to them?
He can stick to them all he wants, just not if he comes back here. His last tenure we went backwards anyway. If we throw him a bone and employ him I’ll accept it, but if he knives our coach in the back so he can take the position or if we re-sign Andrew McCullough and kodi nikorima again I’ll probably support another team until he carks it.

Oh, so all the clubs that would chase him are poor judges and you're a good one? Tell us of these first hand accounts. By this I take it that you and WB have had quite extensive dealings, man to man and he's proven to you that he hasn't evolved and can no longer learn. Riiiigggghhhhttttt!

Actually I was here in the olden days when the Broncos were born and yes, WB was a titan but he had bosses, he had their respect too and he answered to them. He made decisions, big decisions like the Wally Lewis one and his bosses trusted him. So, onto this era 33 years later and amazingly he's still being trusted, he's still respected by player and employer alike. Weird huh? All those people in between and those in the now are and were wrong about him and a random on the internet is the truth teller!

How about you convince us with your first hand stories, your personal interactions and the evidence of your close working relationship with WB. Why? Because that's the only way you're a chance to convince me WB is no longer relevant. Mind you, I heard that criticism years ago and still, clubs beg him for his services. Weird huh?

Oh, so all the clubs that would chase him are poor judges and you're a good one? Tell us of these first hand accounts. By this I take it that you and WB have had quite extensive dealings, man to man and he's proven to you that he hasn't evolved and can no longer learn. Riiiigggghhhhttttt!

Actually I was here in the olden days when the Broncos were born and yes, WB was a titan but he had bosses, he had their respect too and he answered to them. He made decisions, big decisions like the Wally Lewis one and his bosses trusted him. So, onto this era 33 years later and amazingly he's still being trusted, he's still respected by player and employer alike. Weird huh? All those people in between and those in the now are and were wrong about him and a random on the internet is the truth teller!

How about you convince us with your first hand stories, your personal interactions and the evidence of your close working relationship with WB. Why? Because that's the only way you're a chance to convince me WB is no longer relevant. Mind you, I heard that criticism years ago and still, clubs beg him for his services. Weird huh?
I’m not here to convince you huge. You can believe me if you want, or not. I don’t really care.

He can stick to them all he wants, just not if he comes back here. His last tenure we went backwards anyway. If we throw him a bone and employ him I’ll accept it, but if he knives our coach in the back so he can take the position or if we re-sign Andrew McCullough and kodi nikorima again I’ll probably support another team until he carks it.
I was absolutely at the time in favour of replacing Wayne IF, and ONLY if, we were getting Craig Bellamy as his replacement. FFS, even Wayne himself publicly acknowledged the club should look to get Bellamy for the long run.

I agree we'd stopped going forward and it's possible we may have even been going ever so slowly backwards, but history has shown that this stagnation or even slight decline was actually a blessing and that Wayne was all that stood between us running a non event 7th-8th and a a catastrophic, all time worst season of abject failure.

He may have had employers, but make no mistake, when it came to running the football team, he absolutely did not have any 'bosses' to answer to.

I’m not here to convince you huge. You can believe me if you want, or not. I don’t really care.
So, you got nothing. Thought so. You've probably never met him and decided there's an age where people go from relevance to irrelevance. What you are guilty of is ageism, the notion that older people are no longer useful because their exterior has deteriorated.

You proved that with the dinosaur reference. If only you had first hand experience with WB, you'd probably think differently...like his players do, like his employers do, like his employment suitors do. Seeing as you have zero experience with WB I think you should just get out while you're behind.

So, you got nothing. Thought so. You've probably never met him and decided there's an age where people go from relevance to irrelevance. What you are guilty of is ageism, the notion that older people are no longer useful because their exterior has deteriorated.

You proved that with the dinosaur reference. If only you had first hand experience with WB, you'd probably think differently...like his players do, like his employers do, like his employment suitors do. Seeing as you have zero experience with WB I think you should just get out while you're behind.
Ageism? Ok. Don’t worry huge I’m only late 30s, I just think I know everything. Pot/kettle much?

He may have had employers, but make no mistake, when it came to running the football team, he absolutely did not have any 'bosses' to answer to.
You know that how? So, the guys with the foundation money Maranta and Morgan , the owners were subordinate, the CEO Ribot was subordinate, they couldn't tell WB what to do, anywhere, anytime or in any matter?

Okay, got it now. 😒

You know that how? So, the guys with the foundation money Maranta and Morgan , the owners were subordinate, the CEO Ribot was subordinate, they couldn't tell WB what to do, anywhere, anytime or in any matter?

Okay, got it now. 😒
FFS, read literally any of the books he's written.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • azza.79
  • Footy Fanatic
  • maddo
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • mitch222
  • Robboi_321
  • Organix
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.