The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no grudge in my acknowledgement. Boyd was one of the best fullbacks in 2010, period.

Let's not restart the Dally M discussion, as while it certainly rewards players for their performance throughout a season, it also very often highlights a player as the clear best at his club, while "hiding" better players at clubs where they share the highlight. Slater for example had to compete with Cameron Smith and Cronk for his Dally M tally.

Was Boyd the best that season?
I don't think so, as Slater was superb in a superb team, Gordon had an excellent year at the Panthers and that was by far Dugan's best season too imo.

However, since then, Boyd has not come close to replicating that season, and has gradually been worse, and even if his 2013 was better than 2012, it still wasn't that much to write about, and was still in the bottom 8 fullbacks in the comp.

What you call bias, I call an opinion based on how I view Rugby League, and in particular the Fullback position. It's nothing personal against Boyd, much less against Bennett.
But if you keep insisting it is, could it be because of your bias that anything related to Bennett is immaculate...?
Two votes away from winning the Dally M in 2010 indicates he was in superb form and was the form fullback in the NRL that year. Not only was he two votes shy of the overall Dally M he was the fullback of the year.As for Slater competing with Cronk, rubbish. Slater may have played well and so may others but none were better in 2010 than Boyd. How you can make a case for Gordon and Dugan is outstandingly dull witted. They weren't even on the radar of the Dally M awards, total nonsense. If they were better than it would have been reflected but it wasn't. Trying to invent an argument for an indefensible position.

I have no clue what your last line means ! 'anything related to Bennett is immaculate' ? Perfectly clean ? Neat ? Tidy ?

Two votes away from winning the Dally M in 2010 indicates he was in superb form and was the form fullback in the NRL that year. Not only was he two votes shy of the overall Dally M he was the fullback of the year.As for Slater competing with Cronk, rubbish. Slater may have played well and so may others but none were better in 2010 than Boyd. How you can make a case for Gordon and Dugan is outstandingly dull witted. They weren't even on the radar of the Dally M awards, total nonsense. If they were better than it would have been reflected but it wasn't. Trying to invent an argument for an indefensible position.

I have no clue what your last line means ! 'anything related to Bennett is immaculate' ? Perfectly clean ? Neat ? Tidy ?

I hear that sort of thing a lot about Boyd, but it also tends to get dismissed when we talk about Barba, who WON the Dally M in 2012.

but neither of them have been even remotely close to that form since.

I actually do rate Boyd highly, just as a winger ... and somewhere along the line that position started to get thought of as unimportant from a players perspective and many feel that playing on the wing is beneath them ...

I feel wing is a very under-rated position nowadays. having a great finisher like Boyd on the wing is invaluable IMO

Last edited:

I'm not going to argue semantics with you, or resort to passive aggressive little digs to make me feel smart and superior and satisfy my ego...

I've explained why a gazllion times, so I'm not going to go in circles.
I don't care about the Dally M results that year, or any other.
Last year, Ben Hunt was the perfect example of how someone is easily screwed off a Dally M.

I also don't care how dull witted or indefensible it is... IN MY OPINION, Slater, Gordon and Dugan were as good as Boyd that season. Also IN MY OPINION, since then, he is and has been a less than average fullback, period.

opinion

[uh-pin-yuh n]
IPA Syllables

noun

1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

3.the formal expression of a professional judgment:to ask for a second medical opinion.

4.Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

5.a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.:to forfeit someone's good opinion.

6.a favorable estimate; esteem:I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Please focus on point 1 and 2...

immaculate

[ih-mak-yuh-lit]
IPA Syllables

adjective

1.free from spot or stain; spotlessly clean:immaculate linen.

2.free from moral blemish or impurity; pure; undefiled.

3.free from fault or flaw; free from errors:an immaculate text.

Biology. having no spots or colored marks; unicolor.
Please focus on point 2...

Still have no idea what you meant....immaculate just doesn't appear to be applicable in any sense. Instead of a poor attempt at cleverness you may be best served learning which word is best for the job. Fortunately I have little need of a dictionary and rarely use an inappropriate worm ! Nota bene, when I do it's intentional ! ..mmmm.

Back on the topic at hand. The team is improving steadily and knowing we have a world class player making steady rehab progress is reassuring. I don't think the team will be degraded by Boyds return and I doubt many others do either. WB has stated he will put Boyd in at fullback but he is no mug and could very well have him the side at centre or wing. One thing is reliable though and that is the necessity to change things around when injuries strike. It may turn out that it is fabulous to have Boyd returning with his ability to cover multiple positions including 5/8.

No one is saying WBs time here is an outstanding success but it's hard to find much fault with his progress so far. He has been honest, forthright and accomodating with the media, a skill he has finally mastered. He is proof that with practice, even a modestly talented person can achieve a high level of performance. With that comment I refer to his natural shyness and dislike of public appearances yet now he is the consummate media professional .

Last edited:
I don't think the team will be degraded by Boyd's return from injury either, nor have I ever implied it.
I do hope that WB will place him at wing or centre if it's warranted, although I have little faith that will happen.

My point has always been that we did not need Boyd in the first place, because of who we already had at the club, including recruits (Milford), and those coming through the ranks, but I guess you already knew that after I said it so many times...

How Wayne presents himself to the media, is the least of my concerns to be honest, and I really don't care what he tells them either. He should use the press for the benefit of the team first, and his behaviour with the press, past or present, is something I have never had an issue with.

What is tenure will be like, is something to be judged towards the end of the season. So far, I am mostly pleased.

P.S. We all know how special you are, but put that big brain of yours at work for a moment, and I'm sure you'll get the immaculate part.
You may need more than worms or a dictionary though...

My point has always been that we did not need Boyd in the first place, because of who we already had at the club, including recruits (Milford), and those coming through the ranks

I'd love for you to elaborate on this please, can you tell me all the first-grade ready Five-Eighths we have "Coming through"? Ash Taylor? I haven't even heard his name this year, is he even playing? Kodi Nikorima? Hasn't done anything special, can't defend.. Jayden Nikorima? Playing centre for the U20's..

What was your big master plan? Milford at Fullback and some 18 year old at Five-Eighth who gets completely destroyed every week and misses 10+ tackles?

Taylor is one of the best players in the NYC and it wouldn't surprise me if he played first grade at some point this season.

Jayden playing centres isn't a slight on him as a playmaker. If anything, just goes to show how valuable and versatile he is.

I'd love for you to elaborate on this please, can you tell me all the first-grade ready Five-Eighths we have "Coming through"? Ash Taylor? I haven't even heard his name this year, is he even playing? Kodi Nikorima? Hasn't done anything special, can't defend.. Jayden Nikorima? Playing centre for the U20's..

What was your big master plan? Milford at Fullback and some 18 year old at Five-Eighth who gets completely destroyed every week and misses 10+ tackles?
Am I supposed to take you seriously after reading that bold bit?

Hunt, Milford, Kahu, Taylor and both Nikorimas, there is certainly more than enough quality material to build a great spine.
I would've also wanted to see what Bennett could get out of Barba as well. If there's anyone that could get Ben on track, it would be WB.

P.S. There was a master plan, but I can't tell you what it was... it's a secret!

Am I supposed to take you seriously after reading that bold bit?

Hunt, Milford, Kahu, Taylor and both Nikorimas, there is certainly more than enough quality material to build a great spine.
I would've also wanted to see what Bennett could get out of Barba as well. If there's anyone that could get Ben on track, it would be WB.

P.S. There was a master plan, but I can't tell you what it was... it's a secret!

A) Why wouldn't you take me seriously? I haven't heard Taylor's name mentioned once this season, I didn't even know he was playing NYC honestly, my point is that if you're claiming he's an option at Five-Eighth for our NRL team, shouldn't he be absolutely dominating everyone in U20's and making headlines?

B) You didn't answer my question, you listed a bunch of Halfbacks, Hookers and Fullbacks, I simply asked who you think is good enough to be playing Five-Eighth for us this year, if we were playing Milford at Fullback and didn't sign Boyd.

C) Barba sucks, the best thing Wayne has done since he got here was telling him he could sign elsewhere.

It's not like Milford is NRL ready at the five eight position either. He is a rookie five eight learning the position at NRL level. By the time he gets to the level we want him to be I think we'd have been able to get one of the halves options being mentioned to have developed too.

The difference being with Milford (now NRL ready at five eight) he is with a reliable 30 year old Boyd. With Taylor or Nikorima at 6 they have a 22 year old Milford.

The difference being with Milford (now NRL ready at five eight) he is with a reliable 30 year old Boyd. With Taylor or Nikorima at 6 they have a 22 year old Milford.

Precisely, well said.

You can't have 3 young and/or inexperienced players in the spine, as great as it sounds on paper with oodles of potential, it isn't going to win you a premiership, look at the Tigers this year, one veteran and 3 young players in the spine.. Fun to watch, yes, winning a premiership in the next 3 years.. probably not.

You need a mixture of talent, youth and experience to make a run at a premiership, I think Wayne has nailed it, or has at least come very close, depending on how McCullough plays this year.

McCullough - Experienced yet youthful, great defender.
Hunt - Coming into his prime, potential star in the next 1-2 years.
Milford - Young, high upside, potential superstar in the next 3 years.
Boyd - Experienced, knows how to win premierships.

We'd probably have a more "Fun" team to watch with Milford at Fullback and Hunt & a young half in the Halves, but it wouldn't put us in a position to win a premiership in the next couple of years, which is obviously Wayne's goal.

It's not like Milford is NRL ready at the five eight position either. He is a rookie five eight learning the position at NRL level. By the time he gets to the level we want him to be I think we'd have been able to get one of the halves options being mentioned to have developed too.

There is no comparison with a 20 odd game player changing position to 5/8
and a debutant starting a t 5/8

I don't think the team will be degraded by Boyd's return from injury either, nor have I ever implied it.
I do hope that WB will place him at wing or centre if it's warranted, although I have little faith that will happen.

My point has always been that we did not need Boyd in the first place, because of who we already had at the club, including recruits (Milford), and those coming through the ranks, but I guess you already knew that after I said it so many times...

How Wayne presents himself to the media, is the least of my concerns to be honest, and I really don't care what he tells them either. He should use the press for the benefit of the team first, and his behaviour with the press, past or present, is something I have never had an issue with.

What is tenure will be like, is something to be judged towards the end of the season. So far, I am mostly pleased.

P.S. We all know how special you are, but put that big brain of yours at work for a moment, and I'm sure you'll get the immaculate part.
You may need more than worms or a dictionary though...

You really don't get it do you. . For someone who condescends, you really could take your own advise.

Bennett uses the media as a tool to manage his team and individual players. He makes players mentally tough on and off the field. When he says things to the media, he's saying it to the players! He really does know what he doing. . He's building a culture. Led emphasis on the short term, and building towards an envisioned goal of a premiership in a year or two from now.

Perhaps this is something most people on here's narrow minds cant comprehend since they all care about is week to week results?

And dude, good luck sending a spine like that you're implying straight into the NRL. LOLK

Last edited:
Gotta say, the knights seem to be really thriving post bennett. Only undefeated team so far. Seems Stone is getting far more out of a few players that bennett couldnt.

So WB left the Knights with a reasonable squad then. I thought one of his biggest faults was leaving a mess behind when he moves on.

Precisely, well said.

You can't have 3 young and/or inexperienced players in the spine, as great as it sounds on paper with oodles of potential, it isn't going to win you a premiership, look at the Tigers this year, one veteran and 3 young players in the spine.. Fun to watch, yes, winning a premiership in the next 3 years.. probably not.

You need a mixture of talent, youth and experience to make a run at a premiership, I think Wayne has nailed it, or has at least come very close, depending on how McCullough plays this year.

We'd probably have a more "Fun" team to watch with Milford at Fullback and Hunt & a young half in the Halves, but it wouldn't put us in a position to win a premiership in the next couple of years, which is obviously Wayne's goal.

Exactly. This is how you build any successful team. . Not just sporting teams. You need the right director, decent managers and the innovative thinking of fresh blooded minds. You don't go into business with a bunch of people with no experience on their resumes.

I'm absolutely dying to see boyd run out with the boys. I hated the idea at first being in awe of the barbs Milford scheme. . But it was dumb. That would never work with the rest of the roster we have or work at all.

I'm not going to crucify players like everyone else does. Reed at the moment i think had the potential to go back to great form, but Copley deserves the chance more than him and i see oates as bring our best winger at the moment in terms of potential for success. Yes, backrow is his destiny, but right now its a brilliant selection ( and i will say it, griffin made a master stripe with that one. Shame he didn't have the balls to really back himself as a coach )

silver lining again in the Hodges injury. . Copley and reed now have the chance to impress and compete for that one spot. Kahu now has the challenge of stepping up to fulltime fullback. Hope he smashes it. He's great depth for boyd and has proven his worth. Deserves a wing spot outside hodges when Boyd is more than ready.

Last edited:
So WB left the Knights with a reasonable squad then. I thought one of his biggest faults was leaving a mess behind when he moves on.

haha yeah exactly. Haters gonna hate.

Tinkler was the problem there. How good would your performance be at work without knowing if you'd even get paid for it at the end of the year.

It's clear that he did some good things. But i do agree that it was a good decision for them and himself that he left. Better for boyd too. Wasn't the right fit. I wish them luck, and am glad boyd is back to reignite his career

Precisely, well said.

No doubt Boyd offers a higher chance the next two years. But what about the 5 after that? I am thinking long term. It's moot for us anyway as we will never find out.

We will about the Tigers though. I think they will win multiple premierships with that spine. Might not get the first one in the next two years though.

No doubt Boyd offers a higher chance the next two years. But what about the 5 after that?

That's a debate for another time I guess, it's obviously Wayne's primary goal to win another premiership with us before he retires, but I can't see him just leaving us high and dry with 10 retiring players after he leaves or something, he's been pretty good with junior development etc in the past.

I'm sure we'll be fine once he's gone (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.