The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that our halves are so good. I was merely pointing out that I hope they turn out to be the goods and that I won't be rooting against them just so Taylor can play.

How's that the same thing?

So we signed a fullback because we didn't have one, right ? We had some options but they were young and inexperienced but we definitely needed someone to do the job. So we buy a premium class fullback for reasonable cash ( like any other club except we may have gotten him a bit cheaper ) and solve that problem. We're not behind financially though because we unload a highly paid forward, another highly paid forward and an under performing overpaid half/ fullback. So now we have cash to buy a 5/8 at a very good price and have a very exciting 7 and 6 combination as a result.

So if we look at the picture we a half,5/8,hooker and fullback all with years of improvement in them. Somehow this isn't enough for you. You're sad because someone coming through the ranks may not get an opportunity but I ask you, is this not how it is at every club and in every year ? If these younger players are good enough,they will get a job somewhere. It's something we all accept, you can't keep them all. According to your logic, signing Boyd was not the problem, signing Milford was. We needed a fullback,remember the sight of turnstile Hodges last year.

Milford is a fullback. And a perfectly legitimate one.

Regardless of what your preference is in terms of where to play him is, the rest of your argument is just a load of shit.

I never said that our halves are so good. I was merely pointing out that I hope they turn out to be the goods and that I won't be rooting against them just so Taylor can play.

How's that the same thing?

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around you finding a way to complain about us having one of the best 1,6,7 combinations in the NRL.. What's your problem dude, can you just be happy and try and enjoy it rather than trying to find some minor downside to having a locked in spine for the next few years.

The saying "You can't keep 'em all" is quite relevant here, we've got plenty of good juniors coming through, some will stay, some won't, that's life bro.

Milford is a fullback. And a perfectly legitimate one.

Regardless of what your preference is in terms of where to play him is, the rest of your argument is just a load of shit.
Eloquent as always....don't bother explaining what is wrong with it. If I were a child I might respond that your entire point of view is stupid but I'm not, I'm not saying it is wrong or a load of shit as you so coarsely wrote. Instead of implying that you know better than the club and WB you might humbly accept that you are not as well qualified or credentialed as them. Fine, have a different view, claim you'd do it differently but respect my right to have an opinion on the matter. I prefer Milford and Hunt forming a Alfie/Kevie type combo and understanding and if you cannot see that as positive than nothing will ever satisfy you until you are head coach.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around you finding a way to complain about us having one of the best 1,6,7 combinations in the NRL.. What's your problem dude, can you just be happy and try and enjoy it rather than trying to find some minor downside to having a locked in spine for the next few years.

The saying "You can't keep 'em all" is quite relevant here, we've got plenty of good juniors coming through, some will stay, some won't, that's life bro.

Right now I don't believe we have one of the best combinations.

If we end up winning premierships with it I will enjoy it. The goal is to win titles after all, not win them with a specific player.

Until that time comes though I believe that this isn't the best way forward. We will likely never know, hopefully Milford and Boyd can just win lots and prove me wrong!

Regardless, we are just repeating ourselves again. You asked why it could be that we would lose Taylor, I was explaining how. I'm pretty tired of explaining why I prefer it to what we are doing, but thank you for not trying to tell me that Milford is the guy I should have a problem with us signing!

Last edited:
I would hope a 30 year, 7 time premiership winning coach knows more about who is and isn't a fullback then a couple of guys on a forum.

I would hope a 30 year, 7 time premiership winning coach knows more about who is and isn't a fullback then a couple of guys on a forum.

Of course every NRL coach is more qualified than any of us on the forum.

Unless the idea is to kill off the forum though, I don't see the value in pointing it out.

Ricky Stuart has won an origin series, a premiership and a test series ... i suppose we should all just stop questioning him too ...

Of course every NRL coach is more qualified than any of us on the forum.

Unless the idea is to kill off the forum though, I don't see the value in pointing it out.

Milf could probably play any position you wanted him to he is that talented. He's also only 20 so he's very impressionable. I just don't see why people decide whether he's a fullback or a five eight, He's whatever Wayne says he is and he will excel in that position.

Milf could probably play any position you wanted him to he is that talented. He's also only 20 so he's very impressionable. I just don't see why people decide whether he's a fullback or a five eight, He's whatever Wayne says he is and he will excel in that position.
So so right. The truth is almost every guy in first grade played a different position coming up. Frontrowers who were wingers, halfbacks who became centres,wingers who turned into hookers or back rowers....I have no doubt WB can see that Milford has what it takes just like he knew Locky would transition to 5/8. I remember at the time of that transition that there were several people in the media and elsewhere that said it was a bad move. Not so though.

Right now I don't believe we have one of the best combinations.

That's because you haven't seen it yet :P

Boyd might not seem like a big piece to the puzzle, but he is, his ability to finish off sweeping plays will make Milfords job a LOT easier, which in turn will allow him to utilize his running game. It also means Hodgo can focus on his business on the right side of the field rather than having to try and set up tries on the left.

Can't wait to have a healthy 17, gonna be awesome imo.

Still have no idea what you meant....immaculate just doesn't appear to be applicable in any sense. Instead of a poor attempt at cleverness you may be best served learning which word is best for the job. Fortunately I have little need of a dictionary and rarely use an inappropriate worm ! Nota bene, when I do it's intentional ! ..mmmm.

Back on the topic at hand. The team is improving steadily and knowing we have a world class player making steady rehab progress is reassuring. I don't think the team will be degraded by Boyds return and I doubt many others do either. WB has stated he will put Boyd in at fullback but he is no mug and could very well have him the side at centre or wing. One thing is reliable though and that is the necessity to change things around when injuries strike. It may turn out that it is fabulous to have Boyd returning with his ability to cover multiple positions including 5/8.

No one is saying WBs time here is an outstanding success but it's hard to find much fault with his progress so far. He has been honest, forthright and accomodating with the media, a skill he has finally mastered. He is proof that with practice, even a modestly talented person can achieve a high level of performance. With that comment I refer to his natural shyness and dislike of public appearances yet now he is the consumable media professional .

I note you are a pedant, perhaps consummate would have been the appropriate term rather than consumable, I do not see us eating and drinking wayne.

Haven't seen it once, all I've seen on this forum in relation to U20's this year is how well Drew & Byrnes are playing, I don't follow the U20's greatly, as I assume most people don't, sorry for my lack of knowledge on the matter.

It's been said by most people that Hooker will be Jayden's position when he eventually makes first grade, and his brother is playing a reserve Hooker role for us at the moment, I'm not sure how you didn't list any..

I also like how you'd shift Ben Hunt, our best player last year, from his preferred position.. To make way for an NYC player :lol:

We've been over this Porthoz, Barba had an insane season when every star aligned and he had a coach that gave him free reign and five 7ft tall props who all off-load, he'll never find a scenario like that again, hence why he'll never be good again (Not to mention he's lost a LOT of pace since his off-season ankle surgery with us, and I doubt he'll ever get it back)

I don't understand your thought process honestly man.. so you're saying that because we signed a Fullback.. our NYC Halfback & Hooker/Centre are going to leave the club?.. I don't even

Didn't think you'd make me spell it out, but that was purely directed at AP & Queenslander
This is my last post on the matter, as it's again going in circles as it did previously.

First of all, forgive me for taking it personally after you singled out Ari as the one not being obnoxious re this discussion... :wink:

Second, despite being quite versatile, Jayden Nikorima is not, has never been and will most likely never become a hooker. People assumed he was being turned into one when he was brought to the bench upon his return from injury.
However, the reason for that, was that he couldn't play 80 minutes and was too valuable a player to just leave out.
He is primarily a playmaker, and a great one at that, although it looks like they may be trying to groom him into a quality centre...?

Third, Ben Hunt can play halfback, 5/8 or even hooker. In fact his playing style is more that of a 5/8 than halfback.
Ashley Taylor is a pure halfback, and has the best kicking game of any Broncos player, admittedly one of our biggest issues in first grade, and would form a perfect combination of skills in the halves with Ben Hunt imo.

Fourth, you might want to check the Ben Barba highlights, and you will see that the offloading 7ft props are only responsible for a small percentage of his brilliance, and despite being his best, 2012 is not the only year he showed his prowess. Being fattened up and still suffering from an injury may have had a big impact on his form, so I'm going to wait a bit longer to see how he goes at Cronulla. Regardless, Barba is the least of my worries, and as you may have noticed, I didn't even include him in the players I believe are this club's future.

Fifth, we signed a fullback, when we had fullbacks Anthony Milford, Jordan Kahu (who keeps being forgotten) and the Nikorimas to fulfil the position, and moved Anthony Milford to 5/8 to accomodate Boyd at fullback.
This blocks Ash Taylor/Jayden Nikorima from a spot in the 1/6/7, for a player that again, imo... is an average fullback at best!

You can't keep them all, that is very true, but vastly different from we'll block them and push them out.

It's not complaining about "having one of the best 1,6,7 combinations in the NRL", which btw, is still very much up for debate, it's complaining about not being able to have a better one. It's not a minor downside, it's a major one!
After a while, these would be better combinations than any combination with Boyd at fullback IMO:

1- Milford
2- Boyd
3- Copley
4- Kahu
5- ???
6- Hunt
7- Taylor
9- Macca

1- Jikorima
2- Boyd
3- Copley
4- Jikorima
5- ???
6- Milford
7- Taylor
9- Hunt

1- Kahu
2- Boyd
3- Copley
4- Jikorima
5- ???
6- Milford
7- Taylor
9- Hunt

Admittedly, the latter 2 are moving Hunt from a position where he has been killing it, but I do wonder how much better we could be with someone like him playing 9, provided Taylor and Milford were able to form a good halves combo.
Of course it's open for debate and criticism, but nonetheless a valid opinion!

This is a forum to discuss and debate opinions, not say amen to every Wayne Bennett's decision, because he is a better coach than anyone of us. Otherwise, we might as well just shut down the Broncos discussion side of BroncosHQ.

If every opinion gets shut down with the "Wayne knows better" quote, what's the point of this forum?

Although he is clearly not WB, Anthony Griffin certainly has more experience and probably more knowledge than any one here, and I didn't see the " Griffin knows better" quote popping up when he was being criticised.

I note you are a pedant, perhaps consummate would have been the appropriate term rather than consumable, I do not see us eating and drinking wayne.
Missed that one although I certainly didn't write that, the autobot should put its robotic arm up for that one. I stand corrected and thank you both for the correction and your attention to detail !

and moved Anthony Milford to 5/8 to accomodate Boyd at fullback.

This comment pretty much makes your entire argument redundant, we signed Milford to play Five-Eighth well before Bennett & Boyd were even in the picture.

He wasn't "Moved to accommodate" for anyone, this was the plan from day one (Albeit slightly different, I assume Griffin's plan was to play Barba at Fullback and Milford at Five-Eighth.. but that all changed when Barba turned in to a potato)

While Taylor's attack and kicking game is coming along nicely, his Defence is light years from first grade at this present time.

While Taylor's attack and kicking game is coming along nicely, his Defence is light years from first grade at this present time.
Kodi's was worse imo, but yes, Taylor's still needs work. I'd like to see him introduced from the bench in the same way as Niko has been, although not the defend in the ruck of course. Maybe he could do a switcheroo with Hunt for the time he came in...?

Unfortunately, this is a trait for a lot of halves. Regardless, isn't the most important aspect of the halves games, what they can bring to the team in control and attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• thenry
  • ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.