The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunt did improve his kicking game this season, for mine he went from having the 16th best kicking game for a Halfback to probably about.. 7th-9th? Still a shit load of improvement necessary if he wants to be spoken about in the same breath as people like Cronk, Thurston & A.Reynolds.

Luckily he's a way better runner and passer of the ball than 95% of the NRL

without Hunt's kicking game Darius Boyd would not have scored that intercept try.

without Hunt's kicking game Darius Boyd would not have scored that intercept try.
Not sure if you're implying that we're lucky some of his kicks are crap, which resulted in that SKD pea fade, or you actually think that was a good kick... :noidea:

Like some people said, his kicking has certainly improved, but it is still far from the top halves in the comp. He makes up for it with his vision, passing and running game though.

Not sure if you're implying that we're lucky some of his kicks are crap, which resulted in that SKD pea fade, or you actually think that was a good kick... :noidea:

Like some people said, his kicking has certainly improved, but it is still far from the top halves in the comp. He makes up for it with his vision, passing and running game though.

I was implying we were lucky THAT particular kick was crap .

Yeah, if he kicks a beautiful kick into the in goal, that try doesn't happen.

I don't mind the bombs for now, as long as there are chasers there to contest it or tackle the fullback when he gets it. I would rather that than a 7 tackle set when he fails to put in a perfectly weighted kick.

That is one area he needs to work on the most during the off-season and pre-season, though.

Last edited:
I might have been a bit harsh on Hunt when i said his kicking hasn't improved that much.

I think he has all the kicks in his bag to have a quality kucking game ... But his kick selection lets him down

Last year I got to spend a few hours with Wayne Bennett and Paul Keating over lunch.

The aura of both men more than filled the small dining room that day. A couple of old bulls ready to lock intellectual horns.

Bennett wanted to know what Putin was doing in the Ukraine. Keating quizzed the coach on power and politics in rugby league.

The genuine respect they held for each other was palpable.

The dialogue between the two is something I’ll never forget.

I remember being surprised that a former Prime Minister and brilliant man like Keating would be so intent on extracting insight from a footy coach.

A silly thought really, because Wayne Bennett is more than just a footy coach.

It’s why many of the young men who have played for him over the years continue to seek his counsel.

His wisdom is real, and it works, so we keep going back. And it’s not only former players who reach out.

He helped Graham Arnold win an A-League title. Steve Waugh often consulted him on the art of leadership.

Pat Rafter spent much time at Broncos HQ. Not to mention the many captains of industry who regularly default to him.

So what defines the Wayne Bennett way? Genuine empathy for one.

I believe this to be Wayne’s greatest trait.

Having grown up around much imperfection he has a wonderful ability to tolerate faults in others.

His patience for the flawed means the many young men under his care are given the support and understanding they need to grow up while the whole world is watching.

It also allows him to endure much of the politics and backstabbing so common in rugby league.

He once said to me, “People are going to let you down in life Ben, but that doesn’t always make them bad people.”

Most of us carry grudges, Wayne forgives.

If his empathy helps him understand people, his discipline allows him to lead them. Wayne has a very clear philosophy on what it takes to be the best.

He’s achieved greatness by living life committed to a few simple truths. He knows what needs to be done and very rarely compromises.

But when he does compromise, it’s on purpose, and for good reason. Then there’s the teacher.

Vince Lombardi used to start pre-season training with the same line every year, “This gentlemen, is a football.”

Wayne is of the same view.

He believes sustainable success can only be built on a strong foundation of perfected fundamentals.

Every year his teams are forced to relearn the basics … Every year.

Explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition.

It helps that he still loves being out on the grass with his players coaching and teaching. This is why Wayne Bennett teams are so consistent.

When the blowtorch is applied, the underbelly remains strong.

Finally, and most importantly, Wayne has a very strong sense of self.

Last year in the midst of a poor season at the Newcastle Knights many questioned his ability.

While the criticism certainly affected those close to Wayne, the coach himself remained ambivalent.

I remember reading to Wayne one of the many negative pieces about his tenure at Newcastle.

Wayne listened, let out a little laugh, and then simply said to me, “Ben, the same people that doubted me when I first started coaching 30 years ago are still doubting me today. Same people, just different faces.”

Oh to have the intestinal fortitude to treat haters with the nonchalance they deserve.

I should also mention that despite the crusty exterior Wayne certainly knows how to have a good time, and that in the grind of NRL football, he makes sure his teams do exactly that.

The supercoach now heads into grand final number eight and I dare say he’s feeling confident.

Mainly because his team is going great, but also because he hasn’t lost the last seven times he’s been there.

This 2015 Broncos team is a good one, much better than I thought they’d be.

They know who they are, play for each other, stick to the plan, and go about their work with a minimum of fuss.
Sound like someone?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...550255898?sv=b0b52e0c8f439781f024bda5981ba1c9

**** Ikin is a lucky piece of shit. Married to Bennett's daughter and having dinner with both him and Paul fucking Keating together at the same table, very likely with alcohol and jolly conversation. Yes I'm jealous you ****.

Wow that gave me chills.

And yes, Ben Ikin is one lucky bastard

Hunt's kick was perfect haha

He wanted to kick it to the winger to keep RTS out of the game. .

We were lucky it was a wobbly one. . But the mental battle was won. SKD was like: "oh no you don't, I'm gonna put him in the game right away .. Oh what a shit wobbly kick *extra second gained from awkward wobbly bounces* (Oh no I'm too close to the sideline now, need to take an extra step).. ****.. .. Roger HELP!"

Last edited:
A testimony to Keating . The guy has 0% interest in rugby league,yet Bennett is still on his radar .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • BroncosAlways
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • HarryAllan7
  • Porthoz
  • mrslong
  • Stix
  • mystico
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • Manofoneway
  • Skathen
  • Rookie Alan
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.