The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Good thing the knights beat the premiers a month ago or you'd think we just did a number on them. Good thing we're getting that coach back next year or we'd never win a match. Who cares if we just flogged them and will finish well above them on the ladder, they beat the premiers so they definitely have the better coach!!!

Good thing the knights beat the premiers a month ago or you'd think we just did a number on them. Good thing we're getting that coach back next year or we'd never win a match. Who cares if we just flogged them and will finish well above them on the ladder, they beat the premiers so they definitely have the better coach!!!
Uploadfromtaptalk1408824074110

So I guess we loose Hoffman next year....don't really need him right?

Same with Boyd,,,, don't need him. Barba is a 6. Vidot must stay wing. Don't you dare make him a backrower!

Or you play Milford off the bench as an impact player...naaaaaaa

Good post. It highlights something I think is important - quality of the opposition. At the end of the day, I feel that you can only beat who is in front of you. Injuries to the opposition, loss of form, off-field dramas are all things that shouldn't be brought to the table, imo. At the end of the day, a club experiencing those things need to be able to field 17 blokes who they think are capable of doing the job on Sunday.

I think the reason why a lot of post-match threads descend into negativity after a win can be attributed to our chronic lack of consistency over the last few seasons. I'm no saint and will put my hand up as sometimes I'm spearheading the knockers. But ever since the end of 2011, we just seem incapable of building on a dominant performance. I love to savour a win of this magnitude so don't normally contribute to these threads after a big victory. Reading over the last few pages I find I don't disagree with any of the comments. . . but I remember a lot of these comments were repeated verbatim after the big Bulldogs win a fortnight ago. Things like not clocking off for the full 80 minutes, gaining some confidence etc were said then as well only to see the team serve up a great big **** a week later. It's happened a lot over the last few years. When it occurs so often there is a tendency to then look at the opposition and think "well, maybe we weren't that good and they were just bad."

We will most likely finish in front of the Knights but they've beaten teams that "matter." The premiers as well as the Storm who have always been a thorn in our side ever since 2006. It's something you can hang your hat on at the end of the day and be proud in a season where not much has gone right.

I'm obviously over the moon we won so convincingly but am not going to delude myself into thinking we've turned the corner. Fool me once...that sort of thing.

Last edited:
The courier mail is saying that Bennett is considering Hodges at fullback in 2015

Error Page

Barba or Milford on the bench. That's great...

Here is what I take out of it...

Bennett admits he first wanted to hand Hodges the No.1 jumper as a 17-year-old and says the Test centre can be Brisbane’s fullback version of Souths destroyer Inglis.

“I always thought it was one of the great tragedies of the game that Greg Inglis never played fullback,” Bennett said.

“The Storm had him as a centre and five-eighth, then Greg moved to fullback and now South Sydney’s fortunes rest on him.

“If Greg is on they are on and he and Justin are very similar.

“It (playing Hodges full-time at fullback) is something for me to consider. A lot will depend on the make-up of the
team going forward, but if I was here at the Broncos right now I can guarantee you he would finish the year at fullback.

“Justin brings that style to the Broncos. He has been a great centre but I always felt he had something special at fullback and he showed that again (on Saturday night).”

“Hoffman is a good player and Barba can play there, but Justin is the one guy in that position that can create something,” he said.

“Justin should have been a fullback when he first came to the Broncos, but I ended up playing him on the wing because he was only a kid.

“I intended moving him to fullback but then he signed with the Roosters and they turned him into a centre.

“When Karmichael Hunt got injured (in 2006), Justin was the obvious replacement at fullback. He won the grand final for us that year.”

“Justin is all class,” he said. “A lot of people would have doubted him getting back to his best, we’re good mates and I’ve seen him go through some tough times.

“They have about four fullbacks up here, but Hodgo is a true footballer. He would be lethal with more stints at fullback.”

Pretty interesting. I'd imagine a lot of it is just lip service but it would have been interesting to ponder where Hodgo would have played 2002-04 for the Broncos and what things would be like if he didn't take the money and run.

I wonder if Bennett's line about 06 is an admission that he initially got it wrong with playing Boyd there?

Hodgeos performance at the back on saturday, Reed's blinder outside a real 5/8 and Copleys emergence as a first grade centre has created a real dilemma for next year. Our over abundance of fullbacks is starting to show.

Really, whatever combo Bennett opts for at least Hoffman isn't in the frame for a spine position anymore.

It's actually ridiculous how many spine / centre options we have for next season, especially if Boyd comes.

Spine - McCullough, Hunt, Milford, Barba, Hodges, Boyd, Hoffman
Centres - Hodges, Boyd, Hoffman, Copley, Reed

So many options, guh.. I guess it's a good problem to have.

a 32 year old injury prone player moving to fullback where he will have to do the most running in the team. He won't last very long anyway.

Agree, I'm not saying I am against Hodges moving to fullback permanently as it is his best position, however we will need the team of fullbacks to step in after the first 5 rounds when he eventually goes down.

Hodges is brilliant at fullback with the ball in hand. It was a true masterclass on Saturday night form him. Defensively he isn't that great though. He will break down with the extra running IMO.

We will most likely finish in front of the Knights but they've beaten teams that "matter."
they didnt "matter" though because the knights are well out of finals contentions and beating one team means nothing when you go and get thrashed the next week.

there is literally no way to look at their season as being "better" than ours just because of who they beat. they lost like 9 in a row, havent been in finals contention since before the halfway mark of the season, have been on the back of numerous hidings, and their coach called it a day three quarters of the way through the season because theyve been so bad.

on that article about hodges playing fullback potentially next year, this stood out for me:

When Karmichael Hunt got injured (in 2006), Justin was the obvious replacement at fullback.

But BHQ says it was a coaching masterstroke, one that no other coach wouldve thought of? some of us at the time said "well duh, hodges has always considered himself a fullback and left because he wanted to play fullback, and we dont have any other fullbacks, so it is literally the only choice", but were repeatedly told it was a masterstroke lol.

if bennett plays hodges at fullback over milford hes even more of a moron than i thought.

Judging by the quotes, I don't think Wayne is considering it.. he just said if he was coaching the Broncos right now that Hodges would certainly finish the season there, there's not even a remote chance that he's our fullback next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.