The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, we are best served for the long term if we start 2015 as follows:

Milford @ fullback - by far his best position, give him the extra room to move and watch him dominate.

Hodges @ center - still one of the best in the game, possibly allow him a roaming role.

Barba @ 5/8 - he has been making a good transition to the halves (as some of us predicted he would). I think we would be higher on the ladder if he started there instead of Hoggman.

Hoffman @ wing - it's WIng or GTFO

Boyd (if he comes) @ wing - it's wing or GTFO.

Copley @ center - already a strike player for us, must start at left center

It wouldn't be a good look for him to come out and say "No way on earth I'll be playing Hodges at fullback, he's too old and injury prone".

I expect nothing less from Wayne, he very rarely says anything in press conferences / interviews that can be skewed against him.

You do realise BHQ isn't a real person right and you're just as much apart of it as everyone else?
No its not a person, but BHQ has a whole has a bit of a hivemind.

I'm very much not a part of that, never have been. I dont have any rose coloured glasses on.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention.

Especially in a topic such as this where clearly there is a divide in opinion.

Every individual on here is unique so trying to create generalizations is asinine.

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

they didnt "matter" though because the knights are well out of finals contentions and beating one team means nothing when you go and get thrashed the next week.

I agree that beating one team means nothing if you get thrashed the next week. Hence our last three games: big win, big loss then another big win. I meant that if you miss the finals or don't make much of an impact you then look at the positives. Sometimes there aren't many but beating more highly rated opponents would be one. A good example would be 2003. We beat both of the grand finalists that year. Yes we didn't last long, yes we faded away but we certainly had the side that could and should've been higher up the ladder. Much like this year.

there is literally no way to look at their season as being "better" than ours just because of who they beat. they lost like 9 in a row, havent been in finals contention since before the halfway mark of the season, have been on the back of numerous hidings, and their coach called it a day three quarters of the way through the season because theyve been so bad.

Agreed. In terms of a "better" season the win/loss column is the only one that should really count. We'll have to just disagree on the other point. I think there are certain teams that a victory over does mean more than others. I'm not necessarily talking about the Knights or Broncos now but beating Manly at Brookie, the Storm either home or away and the defending premiers are significant victories over the course of a season. . . regardless of how many other games a team goes on to win.

It's actually ridiculous how many spine / centre options we have for next season, especially if Boyd comes.

Spine - McCullough, Hunt, Milford, Barba, Hodges, Boyd, Not a chance in hell Hoffman
Centres - Hodges, Boyd, Hoffman, Copley, Reed

So many options, guh.. I guess it's a good problem to have.
Fixed it for ya! :takdir:

We'll have to just disagree on the other point.
thats fine with me.

with the way the competition is these days, beating a certain team isnt really that big of a deal because there are so many little things that can affect the outcome of a game. dud referee decisions, before/during/after origin, injured players, etc. the competition is so evenly matched from team 1 to about team 12 that any little thing can get one team over the line even if theyve lost 10 in a row. the roosters being premiers doesnt mean much since theyve played pretty poorly for a decent chunk of the season, top 4 or no top 4.

the fact that the broncos could be top 4 if you took away about 8 minutes of football throughout the season, despite not playing brilliantly all season, shows just how close the competition is. have we played like a team that deserves to be top 4? no, not IMO we havent. but we couldve been had the bounce of the ball gone our way. newcastle only beat melbourne because of a single absolutely unforgiveable mistake from slater. the panthers only beat us because of a single terrible mistake by mcguire (and then another by hodges to take away any chance we had of evening it up). 1 little thing here and there can get nearly any team a win over any other.

there arent really many "prized scalps" left when the competition is this evenly average. i mean, melbourne are on the verge of missing the 8 - is beating them really something to be overly proud of?

i get what youre saying - look for positives when the overrall result was a negative. i just disagree that beating a single team at a footy field is a real positive.

thats fine with me.

with the way the competition is these days, beating a certain team isnt really that big of a deal because there are so many little things that can affect the outcome of a game. dud referee decisions, before/during/after origin, injured players, etc. the competition is so evenly matched from team 1 to about team 12 that any little thing can get one team over the line even if theyve lost 10 in a row. the roosters being premiers doesnt mean much since theyve played pretty poorly for a decent chunk of the season, top 4 or no top 4.

the fact that the broncos could be top 4 if you took away about 8 minutes of football throughout the season, despite not playing brilliantly all season, shows just how close the competition is. have we played like a team that deserves to be top 4? no, not IMO we havent. but we couldve been had the bounce of the ball gone our way. newcastle only beat melbourne because of a single absolutely unforgiveable mistake from slater. the panthers only beat us because of a single terrible mistake by mcguire (and then another by hodges to take away any chance we had of evening it up). 1 little thing here and there can get nearly any team a win over any other.

there arent really many "prized scalps" left when the competition is this evenly average. i mean, melbourne are on the verge of missing the 8 - is beating them really something to be overly proud of?

i get what youre saying - look for positives when the overrall result was a negative. i just disagree that beating a single team at a footy field is a real positive.

Awesome post. A lot of good points. Origin, injuries and refereeing have made more of an impact than ever before. It doesn't seem right.

I would still classify a win over Melbourne as significant. It's been one-way traffic for the last 8 or so years. A lot of players in our squad have probably never beaten them. I get what you're saying - they've struggled this year and do not seem to be the benchmark they once were but they still accounted for us pretty easily. Am hoping that last game is not a play off for 8th spot. They're just as proud of their finals record as we are of ours.

If we had managed to jag that win over the Roosters I think it would have done wonders for our confidence and we probably would've never looked back.

We did get the Storm at the worst possible time. The week Hook was sacked would have affected the players. Too what degree we will find out in the last round if we are still in contention

To me Vidot and Barba look the most vulnerable in the starting line up with Bennett's arrival

This is from the Lurker on Monday.

Bennett's Boyd plans

So where will Darius Boyd fit into the Broncos back line jigsaw in 2015? I can reveal that despite playing fullback for the Knights and wing for the Maroons and Kangaroos, Boyd will play at right centre for the Broncos next season. My spy in the Wayne Bennett camp has told me the master coach plans to leave Justin Hodges at fullback, where he has looked the goods in recent weeks, and also keep Benny Barba at five-eighth. The odd man out in all this could be Josh Hoffman, however. Should the Broncos cut Hoffman loose - and he has asked for a release more than once over the past couple of seasons - he won't have any problem getting a new club.

This is from the Lurker on Monday.

Bennett's Boyd plans

So where will Darius Boyd fit into the Broncos back line jigsaw in 2015? I can reveal that despite playing fullback for the Knights and wing for the Maroons and Kangaroos, Boyd will play at right centre for the Broncos next season. My spy in the Wayne Bennett camp has told me the master coach plans to leave Justin Hodges at fullback, where he has looked the goods in recent weeks, and also keep Benny Barba at five-eighth. The odd man out in all this could be Josh Hoffman, however. Should the Broncos cut Hoffman loose - and he has asked for a release more than once over the past couple of seasons - he won't have any problem getting a new club.
Pure speculation and most likely rubbish

Yeah, and Milford will play Qcup... true story!

Guess the Lurker forgot about Milford :lol:

What a moron.

Adam Lucious is pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.