The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are acting like David Stagg has always played like he has this year. Again, I'm definitely repeating myself. He was selected for Origin based on his form throughout those years.

Kurt Gidley was too, and earlier you said he was a worse utility than McGuire. Not only is that statement untrue, but you can't dismiss one origin players ability and then claim origin selection as justification a player is good.

Surprised to see Shane Perry copping it. Yeah sure he wasn't the best half in the world but he was brought in to fill a crucial role - take pressure off the main man, Lockyer. Perry had a decent kicking game and a terrific kick chase. All he needed to do was chime in at certain stages to put a bit of doubt in the opposition defense. It would never work these days, however. To be a chance you really need two top quality playmakers.

I was surprised at how well his performances held up in 2006.

By no means skillful, but had a knack for finding the in-goal with his kicking game, defence was strong and he never tried to over-play his hand or go missing.

Unlike the guy he was replacing in Seymour who just couldn't get it to click after a promising start to 2005.

He wasn't the type of player you could rely on 24 games a year but as somebody who did a job and allowed Hodgo, Lockyer & Berro to do theirs he was fine and the players enjoyed playing with him.

Kurt Gidley was too, and earlier you said he was a worse utility than McGuire. Not only is that statement untrue, but you can't dismiss one origin players ability and then claim origin selection as justification a player is good.

Kurt Gidley was selected for NSW and Shaun Berrigan and Casey McGuire were both better utilities is what I said, and it is true. Kurt Gidley is and was shit.

Last edited:
Surprised to see Shane Perry copping it. Yeah sure he wasn't the best half in the world but he was brought in to fill a crucial role - take pressure off the main man, Lockyer. Perry had a decent kicking game and a terrific kick chase. All he needed to do was chime in at certain stages to put a bit of doubt in the opposition defense. It would never work these days, however. To be a chance you really need two top quality playmakers.

I don't think you need 2 top quality playmakers to be honest.

Bulldogs made it to the Grand Final with a halves combination of Reynolds and Keating. I wouldn't exactly call Keating top quality.

Eels made it to a Grand Final with a halves pairing of Mortimer and Robson.

Kurt Gidley was selected for NSW and Shaun Berrigan and Casey McGuire were both better utilities is what I said.

How do you figure re: McGuire?

Berro, sure, I can see that by being a stand-out performer in 2006 and basically being a good player from 2001-2007 in multiple positions but Casey? At best, they'd be around the same level?

I was surprised at how well his performances held up in 2006.

By no means skillful, but had a knack for finding the in-goal with his kicking game, defence was strong and he never tried to over-play his hand or go missing.

Unlike the guy he was replacing in Seymour who just couldn't get it to click after a promising start to 2005.

He wasn't the type of player you could rely on 24 games a year but as somebody who did a job and allowed Hodgo, Lockyer & Berro to do theirs he was fine and the players enjoyed playing with him.
He was very "Wallacy" in the way he went about his game, albeit even less talented in my opinion, which is not a criticism, because they guy did the job he was expected to do and did it well. He was a perfect "crutch" which allowed Locky and K.Hunt to do their thing.

Kurt Gidley was selected for NSW and Shaun Berrigan and Casey McGuire were both better utilities is what I said, and it is true. Kurt Gidley is and was shit.

But Gidley was also selected for Australia. He can't possibly be shit, right?

That is essentially the argument you are making for Stagg, except you are using Qld instead of Australia as an example.

I don't think you need 2 top quality playmakers to be honest.

Bulldogs made it to the Grand Final with a halves combination of Reynolds and Keating. I wouldn't exactly call Keating top quality.

Eels made it to a Grand Final with a halves pairing of Mortimer and Robson.

Agreed. Maybe 'playmaker' isn't the right word. I don't necessarily mean two quality halves but having at least two genuine attacking players that a side can go to - could be a gun fullback like Barba for the Bulldogs, Moyland etc or a smart dummy half that can create opportunities like Luke, Smith etc. Not traditional playmakers but contribute a lot to in attack just the same.

But Gidley was also selected for Australia. He can't possibly be shit, right?

That is essentially the argument you are making for Stagg, except you are using Qld instead of Australia as an example.

No because the Australian team hasn't been selected on who is the best in a very long time.

How do you figure re: McGuire?

Berro, sure, I can see that by being a stand-out performer in 2006 and basically being a good player from 2001-2007 in multiple positions but Casey? At best, they'd be around the same level?

You're right.

No because the Australian team hasn't been selected on who is the best in a very long time.

So just to be clear, your argument is that if you play Origin for NSW you can be shit, if you play for Australia you can be shit, but nobody who has ever played for Queensland could possibly be shit?

So just to be clear, your argument is that if you play Origin for NSW you can be shit, if you play for Australia you can be shit, but nobody who has ever played for Queensland could possibly be shit?

No. If you took the time to read what was said, my argument was David Stagg wasn't shit when he played for us back in the day.

How do people explain the Panthers current position on the ladder? Their quality playmakers? Their superstars? Or the fact they have a well drilled, disciplined committed side built on rock solid defence and a decent game plan which has been carefully constructed, well drilled and well executed?

For mine, it is a well coached team (and a dose of luck) which wins games, especially the big ones.

Of course, a superstar or 3 helps, but then, you still need a game plan which makes use of him/them. Equally, key players can have shockers, but that is the exception, not the rule.

While Inglis almost single handedly destroyed us, he couldn't have done so without the rest of the Rabbits playing out of their skins and following a well structured, well executed game plan backed up by, in the main, rock solid defence

I'm so looking forward to Wayne's wares this week end, and our reply to our new coach.

Yep, representative jerseys aren't the best standard of measure and it wasn't like Stagg had an illustrious representative career either.

Still, he was a handy player in his day. I recall him being pretty impressive in 2005 particularly down the right edge with Locky and whoever was on that fringe at that particularly time. He was a handy clubman to have and he also played a nice role at the Dogs too when he went over there.

Last edited:
How do people explain the Panthers current position on the ladder? Their quality playmakers? Their superstars? Or the fact they have a well drilled, disciplined committed side built on rock solid defence and a decent game plan which has been carefully constructed, well drilled and well executed?

For mine, it is a well coached team (and a dose of luck) which wins games, especially the big ones.

Of course, a superstar or 3 helps, but then, you still need a game plan which makes use of him/them. Equally, key players can have shockers, but that is the exception, not the rule.

While Inglis almost single handedly destroyed us, he couldn't have done so without the rest of the Rabbits playing out of their skins and following a well structured, well executed game plan backed up by, in the main, rock solid defence

I'm so looking forward to Wayne's wares this week end, and our reply to our new coach.

Classic Moneyball. Supercoach IRL. Pick players according to stats vs cash. It'll get you pretty far in to a season filled with a varied mix of good & bad teams, but it won't take them far in the finals IMO. No disruption during Origin is a big help too.

He was very "Wallacy" in the way he went about his game, albeit even less talented in my opinion, which is not a criticism, because they guy did the job he was expected to do and did it well. He was a perfect "crutch" which allowed Locky and K.Hunt to do their thing.

Perry > Wallace

Posters need to drop the pack mentality and just discuss the points on their own merit. If a poster is being particularly stubborn, call that poster out, not whatever side he supposedly represents.

I'm calling you and all your fellow members of the "Let's not fight, guys" side out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.