The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of those wins were against softer teams, although they did beat the cheats and chooks (at their worst time of the season). On the other hand, they were on the wrong end of a few hidings and an embarrassing loss at home to the Tits...

No competition is as fickle as the NRL when it comes to the draw. Not only about who plays who (look at the Panthers this season), but also when they play each team...

Yeh lets have a look at their wins:

North Queensland
Parramatta
Cronulla
Sydney City
Melbourne
New Zealand
Parramatta
St George

In amongst those wins they had huge losses to the Broncos and Souths, and also lost to the Titans (lol).

Melbourne lost their match, newcastle didn't win it. they let in 2 tries in the last 2 minutes, one from an unforgivable mistake from slater. that was pure luck.

The Cowboys was right after Origin 2, so the Knights winning that isn't anything special.

The Roosters game I didn't watch so have no idea how that went, so I'll give them that.

So then looking at it we have wins against 10th, 16th, 9th, 10th, and 11th. Are we supposed to be impressed? Like last year, the Knights got blessed with one of the easiest draws in the comp.

Let's put it this way - they only won 3 games against top 8 teams all year. They beat Cronulla twice, Parramatta twice, Canberra once....that's 5 of their 10 wins.

Now that Bennetts Knights tenure is over, lets have a look at his stats:

Regular season:
2012: 10 wins, 14 losses
2013: 12 wins, 1 draw, 11 losses
2014: 10 wins, 14 losses

Win percentage: 44.44%

Finals:
2012: didnt qualify
2013: 2 wins, 1 loss
2014: didnt qualify

For the record, Griffins record over his 4 years is 54.17%, making the finals in 3 of the 4 seasons.

If Griffins coaching has been bad and a failure, Bennetts at $1mil a season has been an absolute joke, up there with the worst failures ever seen by a coach.

also just for funsies, a few posts from the "bennett signs with newcastle" topic:

Stop analysing every tiny little bit of wording and get to the point - Which is, Bennett turned them into proper rep players. Not this City/Country bull**** or All Stars/Indigenous team crap or 18th man - NSW and Australian reps. He did it. That's the point.

And he'll do it with Newcastle too.

2 years might be a bit optimistic, but I'm sure he'll win a title with them before his contract is up.

Bennett has 4 years. He, and my opinion, will live or die on whether he achieves a premiership. Nothing else. It's a shame that rather than appreciating the great man turning yet another club into a premiership force, you'll be too busy manufacturing the ifs and buts to suit your agenda.

Can someone pool room that post of AP's so we can trot it back out when Bennett wins a premiership at Newcastle. It's amusing how much AP's current rating of Gidley conflicts with all his previous.

I personally think Newcastle are the option more likely to win a premiership with Wayne.

Put it there so I can quote it when Newcastle don't win a premiership with Bennett there. But of course that won't be his fault, will it? When his team wins he gets the credit, when they lose he gets none of the blame.

Last edited:
Bennett will do a much better job than at Newy if only for the fact that we have the best squad going into next year than we have in a long, long time.

There's unfinished business the way we went out in 08.

Bennett will do a much better job than at Newy if only for the fact that we have the best squad going into next year than we have in a long, long time.

There's unfinished business the way we went out in 08.
Agreed. WB won't have any excuses short of a massive injury list, like 2007 or 2013...

Re: Brisbane Broncos scrap co-captains

Good decision, Wayne is off to a good start imo, very positive.

- Keeping Hooper & Corvo
- Bringing in Walters
- Scrapping Co-Captains

Good decision, Wayne is off to a good start imo, very positive.

- Keeping Hooper & Corvo
- Bringing in Walters
- Scrapping Co-Captains

What about wanting to bring Packer and Boyd to the club.

I'd say he is of to a mixed start.

I would say more upside than downside

What about wanting to bring Packer and Boyd to the club.

I'd say he is of to a mixed start.

Name a better prop and winger that would be able to replace Hannant & Hoffman in 2014.

Protip: You can't

The only reason Bennett would even consider Packer is if Hannant has told him he's leaving.

Name a better prop and winger that would be able to replace Hannant & Hoffman in 2014.

The only reason Bennett would even consider Packer is if Hannant has told him he's leaving.

Exactly

Can I see this press conference anywhere?

I would rather Bennett do what so many people complained Griffin didn't and thats give one of our young guys a shot instead of sign Packer.

The guy isn't that good a player to be taking a risk on him (assuming the NRL register a contract for him) ... in his best ever season he averaged 80-odd meters a game.

he is big, thats about it.

oh wait i forgot, he can also stomp your head while your on the ground ... he'd be better off playing union.

I would rather Bennett do what so many people complained Griffin didn't and thats give one of our young guys a shot instead of sign Packer.

The guy isn't that good a player to be taking a risk on him (assuming the NRL register a contract for him) ... in his best ever season he averaged 80-odd meters a game.

he is big, thats about it.

oh wait i forgot, he can also stomp your head while your on the ground ... he'd be better off playing union.
Strangely enough Bennett, Cleary and Stone disagree with you and think he is well worth the risk. Maybe you should take up coaching Foordy:takdir:

Strangely enough Bennett, Cleary and Stone disagree with you and think he is well worth the risk. Maybe you should take up coaching Foordy:takdir:

and i just don't get it ... surely i'm not the only one that thinks that way. I'll just have to hold out hope that either the NRL actually do the right thing for once and refuse to register a contract for him OR either Cleary or Stone get their man and he goes to one of their clubs

BTW, what was the actual point of the PC. was it just to say that he is only going to have one captain and he wants to bring Boyd and Packer to the club, or was there more to it?

and i just don't get it ... surely i'm not the only one that thinks that way. I'll just have to hold out hope that either the NRL actually do the right thing for once and refuse to register a contract for him OR either Cleary or Stone get their man and he goes to one of their clubs

BTW, what was the actual point of the PC. was it just to say that he is only going to have one captain and he wants to bring Boyd and Packer to the club, or was there more to it?

I think it was to let the players know who is boss and also state he is never leaving the club again. He will be with them in some capacity if not coaching

Yeah, Wayne didn't call the press conference just to let everybody in on what he's thinking - it was just his first opportunity to talk about his relationship at the club and some basic ideas moving forward.

If nothing else, it wasn't boring and if Benny keeps it up I reckon Nashy might have to send him a gift basket.

There's certainly going to be a lot to discuss in the coming weeks.

AUDIO: Wayne Bennett's First Press Conference Back At The Broncos | Triple M NRL

Has a few snippets the Broncos website left off.

- Puts over Milford. "Young Milford is going to be a great talent, so there's some excitement here as well."

- Says the roster has some talent but there isn't a whole lot he can do to change it at this stage so he'll just work with the talent he'll have. "There's lots to be done, over the next 12-18 months, I'll be in a better position to make other decisions about players. Right now I've inherited a squad I can't do a great deal about but there's enough talent there to work with and get them to somewhere near their best every week and play to that standard we like to see around here."

- Wants to work with Darius Boyd & Russell Packer.

Last edited:
Very divided on this...

I liked what he had to say about his intentions regarding himself and the club. That was very positive and gave me lots of confidence.

Then there's this:
Bennett, who met his new staff and club officials on Monday, admitted if he was successful in luring Boyd to the club, there would be no doubt that he would play in the fullback role.

“They all bring different things but Darius is the best of them all,” Bennett told the awaiting media.
And then, there's Packer...

Seriously Wayne? :mad2:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • BruiserMk1
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • Socnorb
  • Morkel
  • Volvo Driver
  • Yem
  • Dexter
  • Behold
  • broncoscope
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.