The World Cup general discussion thread

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I thought I would start a thread for us to discuss the little non-specific topics which might cross out mind and we aren't sure whether it's worthy of its own thread.

For starters, the world cup ball.

I think it's an absolute load of bollocks that before each world cup they basically try and re-invent a football. It doesn't need to be done FFS! The only reason they **** around with it is so the greedy ***** at FIFA and Adidas can get a bit more money. Use a generic ball and stamp the South Africa 2010 logo on it. Problem solved, no more playing silly buggers.

In other news England named their final squad. Walcott has been omitted which is fair enough considering he hasn't been in good form for club nor country. That said, it would have been nice to see some consistency with some of the other selections. Heskey might work well as a target man for Rooney but it's really sad that we have to rely on him as the player to do it. I wish Capello had groomed Carlton Cole or used Peter Crouch more effectively in that role, players who actually play regularly for their club and can score goals. Bit gutted for Darren Bent but I didn't think he would go anyway. I would have liked to see Adam Johnson go too in place of Wright-phillips, someone who can operate on the left and has shown awesome form from the moment he started playing in the Premier league. Perhaps a bit young, but it wouldn't have hurt IMO. My prediction is that we will go out in the quarters on penalties, again.

meh. They re-design the ball every four years and in the leadup everyone has an issue. 4 years ago, the ball Adidas brought out, I thought, was orsm. I played with it.. such sweetness when you kick it. Anyway..

I'm tipping Spain to finally get what they've been chasing. Villa will be a massive cog to this, and I hope and pray they get to the top.

England scare me tbh.

pennywisealfie said:
England scare me tbh.

Really? Would that be because of Capello? The squad is nothing special IMO.

There are some werid omissions and inclusions in that england squad.

No Baines, WTF?? I hope cole is injured for the first game and donavon runs rings around warnock. Alot of the other players have either had bad seasons (carragher, carrick) or haven't been getting any game time (heskey, swp)..

Well apparently Baines didn't exactly set the world on fire, but yeah he should be there ahead of Warnock.

IMO the squad should have been
Hart, Green, James
Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, King, Dawson/Carragher, A Cole, Baines
Milner, Lennon, Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Parker, J Cole, Johnson
Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent, Heskey

But Capello is one of the best in the business so I'm happy to see how things pan out.

Scotty said:
pennywisealfie said:
England scare me tbh.

capello, their easy as **** draw that lets them play their way into the tournament, Rooney, Gerrard etc.

pennywisealfie said:
Scotty said:
pennywisealfie said:
England scare me tbh.

capello, their easy as **** draw that lets them play their way into the tournament, Rooney, Gerrard etc.

USA won't be easy IMO. Very athletic team and well capable of an upset.

Scotty said:
pennywisealfie said:
Scotty said:
pennywisealfie said:
England scare me tbh.

USA won't be easy IMO. Very athletic team and well capable of an upset.

oh agreed, i rate them high, but england should still beat them.

are we going to have some form of a WC fantasy league? I'm totally in on that shit

sounds good to me, who is in?

We had one last world cup. I was actually looking at setting one up last night but my internet is being gay slow at the moment (something wrong with TPG) but if someone else wants to do it thats all good. There is an official one on the fifa site i think.

Done fellas. Made a new thread for it.

woah, massive players being ruled out.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • jarro65
  • cento
  • Rowdy124
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fatboy
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.