Third Test; Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide Oval

Are the Marsh brothers the Australian cricket equivalent of Mitchell Pearce?

Just Shaun. I think Mitch is a pretty handy 3rd or 4th quick. Plus he'll usually get you 30 runs.

Not in the class of the big names, but still good.

I absolutely rate Gillespie and can certainly understand the argument to have him in instead of Harris. Lee was never quite at these guys level in tests, ODI though he is undoubtedly one of our best ever. For me, Johnno has to be there for his point of difference with the left arm and ability to destroy when he was on. I picked Harry over Dizzy based on gut feel, plus Harry was a more than decent bat too, but then so was Dizzy the double centurion night watchman. He'd definitely be the 12th man, unless we are going for a fieldsman, then Symmo is in!

As for Waugh, yeah certainly should be in there upon consideration. Problem is, Clarke was useless anywhere other than 5 and I love Smith's versatility. So toss it up between Smith and Clarke because when Clarke was at his pre-stuffed back best, he was an absolute joy to watch in all conditions. We've been very privileged with some great players and so many good fieldsmen in there too: Ponting, Hussey, Clarke (pre-stuffed back), Symonds, Warner, Lee, Johnson, Warne (in the slips) and Smith.

I feel that the pink ball just does a bit too much under lights. It isn't true cricket. Sure it is a great spectacle but it is obviously going to become a plan to bowl at night if you can. Maybe as batsmen improve their batting under lights it will be different. It is certainly something worth trialing again.

Have to have Tugga Waugh there, without his captaincy we would've never kick started the World Cup 30 straight wins or have won 16 straight tests.

We would have had to wait four years but Ponting's team won 16 straight too to equal the record.

Shame Starc won't be available for the one dayers, he's probably the best one day bowler going around at the moment.

He has actually done about 5x better than I thought he would . This innings will probably keep him in the test team for another year at least judging by selectors' actions the last few years .

It won't justify it, but it will assure he continues to get picked unfortunately. The bar is set vey low when it comes to him.

So he is the Mitchell Pearce of cricket . Simply amazing what you can achieve when your dad was a good player .

Marsh has already scored enough to get picked again. He'll go on to average around 4 against the West Indies despite blokes like Smith, Khawaja, and Warner hitting tons every innings. And then in the shield you'll have people like Maddinson, Lynn, Klinger, Lehmann, Dunk, Stoinos, Maxwell, ETC averaging 50+.

Mitch Marsh just secured his spot with that cover drive.

So he is the Mitchell Pearce of cricket . Simply amazing what you can achieve when your dad was a good player .

The thing is that Geoff Marsh wasn't even a good player, he was barely decent (look at his stats, they would be inexcusable in this era. The only reason he played so many tests back then was because they had no one else). At least Wayne Pearce was a legend.

Last edited:
But for all the VERY warranted bagging of Sarsh, this has been a quality innings.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • Ffs...
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • azza.79
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.