RANT This might be our year

I know I'm not the only one here who's been stuck in the mindset of us being in perpetual recovery/rebuild. That our premiership winning team is still some way in the future.

I admit I've been fixated on our inadequacies around dummy half since pretty much forever, while others of you have fixated on other positions - second row, fullback, etc. We just need something more from Riki, from Staggs, Haas to offload, Mam to mature, etc etc. Maybe we need a ruthless coach, rather than a good bloke.

In my head, I have us treading water until Mozer clicks into the spine. But I'm starting to think by that time we might be weaker in other areas, most obviously halfback.

Next year we should have at least one more genuine hooker, but if that's Mozer he'll still be finding his feet. Reynolds won't be any younger, and he'll be doing well to be see out the season at the top of his game. Which we'll need to win a premiership. Although we have ample stocks to replace Herbie and Flegler, it's hard to foresee their loss strengthening us. Not in the short term. Mariner might turn out to be an upgrade on Farnworth, but we haven't seen evidence of that yet. And Cobbo is still a wildcard.

So, I'm tossing this thought into the air: what if, despite our obvious shortcomings and the question-mark over our coach, this is as good as we're likely to get in the immediate future? What if 2023 is our year? Is that even possible?

What do you think?

Honestly based on exposed form for all sides, it looks to me like it is us and Penrith, honestly. Of course that is caveated by the fact we are not even a quarter of the season through yet and origin to come.

But if I were doing power rankings, I would be going this:

1. Broncos
2. Panthers
3. Storm
4. Warriors
5. Bulldogs
6. Sharks
7. Rabbitohs
8. Roosters
9. Sea Eagles
10. Titans
11. Dragons
12. Dolphins
13. Eels
14. Cowboys
15. Knights
16. Raiders
17. Tigers

But I feel there is a gap between the top 2 and everyone else on exposed form.

Sportsbet:

1. Panthers: $4.20
2. Roosters: $5.50
3. Broncos: $7.00 <<<-----
4. Storm: $8.50
5. Rabbitohs: $8.50
6. Sharks: $11.00
7. Manly: $15.00
8. Cowboys: $18.00

These numbers mean absolutely and utterly nothing to our sport. The sooner they can't be advertised the better.

I think a few on here and in the media are getting ahead of themselves.

I've enjoyed the start we've made too, and I'd love to start dreaming about a premiership, but I can't. We've been burnt too many times in the last few years. I'm not saying this team will do the same thing, but once bitten, twice shy and all that.

From the outside, it appears there has definitely been a culture shift, and the players and coaching staff seem a lot more grounded and focussed.

You couldn't ask for a better start to the season, but we're going to hit a tough period eventually. It may be because of injuries, Origin, or just plain old poor mentality. It's about how we weather that storm and come out of it at the other end.

The attitude has to remain, regardless of winning or losing. I don't care if there's a period where we lose three or four on the trot, as long as we're still putting in the effort and playing intelligent footy. The team can't let losing get to them, just like they can't let winning get to them either. I hard on about it, but for me, our next game is always our biggest. Sure, take the positives from the previous week/s, but really look at the negatives and try to improve on those. Don't think too far ahead, just stay focussed on the present and the rest will follow.

This squad has one of the best forward packs in the comp, and nearly all of our backs possess some kind of 'x-factor' (I hate that term). We don't need to overcomplicate things. As long as our forwards keep rolling on, opposition teams will fatigue and gaps will open. Enter electric players like Walsh, Mam, Herbie, etc to exploit those gaps.

These numbers mean absolutely and utterly nothing to our sport. The sooner they can't be advertised the better.
Not a fan of sports gambling either, but whether you hate the source or not, these numbers are a yardstick of public sentiment. And right now they have us as third favourites to win the competition. We haven't been in that position for a long time.

I think the Phins entering the comp has evened it out more .

eg . Last year Hammer was side lined . Drinkwater takes over and Hammer can`t get back . [ I think it could be similar for Oates this year ]
Drink Water starred for the Cows after taking over at #1 . This season - no Hammer and Drinkwater suspended . They don`t look the same . Overall most teams have less depth . And will struggle without their 1st string players because the back ups aren`t as strong .

Honestly based on exposed form for all sides, it looks to me like it is us and Penrith, honestly. Of course that is caveated by the fact we are not even a quarter of the season through yet and origin to come.

1. Broncos
2. Panthers
3. Storm
4. Warriors
5. Bulldogs
6. Sharks
7. Rabbitohs
8. Roosters
9. Sea Eagles
10. Titans
11. Dragons
12. Dolphins
13. Eels
14. Cowboys
15. Knights
16. Raiders
17. Tigers

In what world do you have Roosters that low?

In what world do you have Roosters that low?

I just don’t think they are playing well and haven’t really had many tough opponents yet. Plus I simply just don’t like them and happily admit that affected their placement.

1. Broncos
2. Panthers
3. Storm
4. Warriors
5. Bulldogs
6. Sharks
7. Rabbitohs
8. Roosters
9. Sea Eagles
10. Titans
11. Dragons
12. Dolphins
13. Eels
14. Cowboys
15. Knights
16. Raiders
17. Tigers

It's going to be a Broncos v Warriors (BHQ's 2nd favourite team) grand final.

I think a few on here and in the media are getting ahead of themselves.

I've enjoyed the start we've made too, and I'd love to start dreaming about a premiership, but I can't. We've been burnt too many times in the last few years. I'm not saying this team will do the same thing, but once bitten, twice shy and all that.

From the outside, it appears there has definitely been a culture shift, and the players and coaching staff seem a lot more grounded and focussed.

You couldn't ask for a better start to the season, but we're going to hit a tough period eventually. It may be because of injuries, Origin, or just plain old poor mentality. It's about how we weather that storm and come out of it at the other end.

The attitude has to remain, regardless of winning or losing. I don't care if there's a period where we lose three or four on the trot, as long as we're still putting in the effort and playing intelligent footy. The team can't let losing get to them, just like they can't let winning get to them either. I hard on about it, but for me, our next game is always our biggest. Sure, take the positives from the previous week/s, but really look at the negatives and try to improve on those. Don't think too far ahead, just stay focussed on the present and the rest will follow.

This squad has one of the best forward packs in the comp, and nearly all of our backs possess some kind of 'x-factor' (I hate that term). We don't need to overcomplicate things. As long as our forwards keep rolling on, opposition teams will fatigue and gaps will open. Enter electric players like Walsh, Mam, Herbie, etc to exploit those gaps.
Same. The doubt is sitting there at the back of my mind. I think what happened last year, which started with the Tigers game, has scarred me! Pushing for a top 3 spot with so much momentum but lose and the downward spiral begun.

Will things be different this year? I hope so. I still see some vulnerability in our defense that some of the better teams will exploit. Completion rates are still fairly low, sitting 12th but that can be put down to taking chances in attack.

I want to see us playing some of the better teams. Caught the Panthers in their house with their pants down and they're starting to hit their strides. I just hope we don't come down to Earth with a thud.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Brocko
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • lynx000
  • Mr Fourex
  • marw
  • LittleDavey
... and 64 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.