OFFICIAL Titans get their man with Fifita signing three-year deal

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Dan Walsh & Joel Gould - Sat 25 Jul 2020, 02:47 PM

The Gold Coast have landed the biggest recruitment raid in the club's history with Brisbane's David Fifita agreeing to terms on a multi-million dollar, three-year Titans deal. Fifita has brought one of the more protracted signing sagas in recent times to an end by choosing the Broncos' southern rivals from 2021.

Titans head of culture Mal Meninga confirmed Fifita would be Gold Coast-bound on Saturday afternoon, after the Maroons forward told Broncos teammates earlier in the day that he would be leaving Red Hill at the end of 2020. Both the Titans and Broncos have also confirmed the move. "It's a great signing for the club," Meninga said on Fox League.

"With all humility and respect I think the Fifita family has handled it really well, Dave and his mum Gwen and all their family have handled tough circumstances. It's been played out in the media hasn't it? But it's a great acquisition for the club going forward."For the Titans the Fifita signing is one of the biggest in the club's 13-year history, and an emphatic endorsement of the turnaround beginning to take shape under rookie coach Justin Holbrook.

By the same token his exit from Red Hill is a hammer blow for Brisbane and comes after being thrashed 46-8 by Melbourne on Friday night. Broncos CEO Paul White said it was "disappointing" to lose Fifita but added that the club had left no stone unturned to keep him. "We have been in ongoing discussions, across more than 20 meetings, as we sought to find a way to keep David at the Broncos, where he has played some fantastic football in recent years," White said. "At the end of the day it was a really tough decision for a young man to make and we respect the choice that David has made. "It's disappointing to see David depart but we look forward to him returning to the field [from a knee injury] to finish out the season with the Broncos. We wish him all the best with his rugby league future."

The Titans had increased their initial offer from more than $1 million for one year to more than $3 million over three years, while Brisbane also offered Fifita a three-year deal with a lower price tag. Fifita's arrival at the Titans will be somewhat of a homecoming after he attended league powerhouse Keebra Park High School where he was captain of the National Championship winning side in 2017. Head coach Justin Holbrook said he was "excited" to be welcoming a proven match-winning forward to the club of Fifita's standing.

Fifita, who made his NRL debut in late 2018, played in all three State of Origin matches for Queensland last year before representing the Prime Minister's XIII and Australia and the 2019 Rugby League World Cup 9s. "As a coach we want to bring players to our club to improve the squad and David will definitely do that," Holbrook said. "David already has a close connection with our club through some of our players which is an important element that I am looking for as we build this team." Fifita is very close friends with Storm forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui who is joining the club long term next season. They played together, along with Titans utility Tanah Boyd, in the Queensland under 18s team in 2018 and have come up through the junior representative ranks.

AJ Brimson is another good mate, as is his former Keebra Park High School colleague Moeaki Fotuaika. Family and friends are front and centre in Fifita's life and the Titans believe the young group he is close to and knows so well can form a core of what they are hoping to be premiership contending sides of the future. Add Fifita to the youthful brigade already secured and the Titans believe it can have a multiplier effect. Gold Coast CEO Steve Mitchell hailed Fifita's signing. "We are looking forward to getting to know the Fifita family," Mitchell said. "Family is central to David's decision and it is a core piece of what we are building at the club. "We wish David well for the rest of the season in Brisbane and for the State of Origin series to follow and can't wait to welcome him into our squad later this year."

Source: NRL.com

Last edited:
Dan Walsh & Joel Gould - Sat 25 Jul 2020, 02:47 PM

The Gold Coast have landed the biggest recruitment raid in the club's history with Brisbane's David Fifita agreeing to terms on a multi-million dollar, three-year Titans deal. Fifita has brought one of the more protracted signing sagas in recent times to an end by choosing the Broncos' southern rivals from 2021.

Titans head of culture Mal Meninga confirmed Fifita would be Gold Coast-bound on Saturday afternoon, after the Maroons forward told Broncos teammates earlier in the day that he would be leaving Red Hill at the end of 2020. Both the Titans and Broncos have also confirmed the move. "It's a great signing for the club," Meninga said on Fox League.

"With all humility and respect I think the Fifita family has handled it really well, Dave and his mum Gwen and all their family have handled tough circumstances. It's been played out in the media hasn't it? But it's a great acquisition for the club going forward."For the Titans the Fifita signing is one of the biggest in the club's 13-year history, and an emphatic endorsement of the turnaround beginning to take shape under rookie coach Justin Holbrook.

By the same token his exit from Red Hill is a hammer blow for Brisbane and comes after being thrashed 46-8 by Melbourne on Friday night. Broncos CEO Paul White said it was "disappointing" to lose Fifita but added that the club had left no stone unturned to keep him. "We have been in ongoing discussions, across more than 20 meetings, as we sought to find a way to keep David at the Broncos, where he has played some fantastic football in recent years," White said. "At the end of the day it was a really tough decision for a young man to make and we respect the choice that David has made. "It's disappointing to see David depart but we look forward to him returning to the field [from a knee injury] to finish out the season with the Broncos. We wish him all the best with his rugby league future."

The Titans had increased their initial offer from more than $1 million for one year to more than $3 million over three years, while Brisbane also offered Fifita a three-year deal with a lower price tag. Fifita's arrival at the Titans will be somewhat of a homecoming after he attended league powerhouse Keebra Park High School where he was captain of the National Championship winning side in 2017. Head coach Justin Holbrook said he was "excited" to be welcoming a proven match-winning forward to the club of Fifita's standing.

Fifita, who made his NRL debut in late 2018, played in all three State of Origin matches for Queensland last year before representing the Prime Minister's XIII and Australia and the 2019 Rugby League World Cup 9s. "As a coach we want to bring players to our club to improve the squad and David will definitely do that," Holbrook said. "David already has a close connection with our club through some of our players which is an important element that I am looking for as we build this team." Fifita is very close friends with Storm forward Tino Fa'asuamaleaui who is joining the club long term next season. They played together, along with Titans utility Tanah Boyd, in the Queensland under 18s team in 2018 and have come up through the junior representative ranks.

AJ Brimson is another good mate, as is his former Keebra Park High School colleague Moeaki Fotuaika. Family and friends are front and centre in Fifita's life and the Titans believe the young group he is close to and knows so well can form a core of what they are hoping to be premiership contending sides of the future. Add Fifita to the youthful brigade already secured and the Titans believe it can have a multiplier effect. Gold Coast CEO Steve Mitchell hailed Fifita's signing. "We are looking forward to getting to know the Fifita family," Mitchell said. "Family is central to David's decision and it is a core piece of what we are building at the club. "We wish David well for the rest of the season in Brisbane and for the State of Origin series to follow and can't wait to welcome him into our squad later this year."

View attachment 8975
Source: NRL.com

Ad it to the crap basket of this season.

This is the most dejected I’ve felt as a Bronx fan in a long time. What once was the only exciting part of the squad (our pack) has seemingly faded away in half a season. There’s literally no positives in sight or lights at the end of this tunnel. Yet I”l still be on my couch next week to get kicked in the guts again!
Being a loyal fan sucks sometimes. 😞

I'm not fussed either way on this whole thing - I think good on him for taking the mega bucks.
But I will say, this club has rocks in their heads if they let him play another game in the Broncos jersey this season after the way this whole thing has played out.

Does feel a bit like we've been handed a rather stinky poo sandwich this year. We certainly now have flexibility in our cap tho, the only problem being I'm not sure I trust Seibold or White to use the money well.

We need those two gone now.

Sux bad , think this one will hurt. Broncos need to respond quickly.

I'm not fussed either way on this whole thing - I think good on him for taking the mega bucks.
But I will say, this club has rocks in their heads if they let him play another game in the Broncos jersey this season after the way this whole thing has played out.
He is our best player and Seibold is trying to survive ... He will play.

well, seeya David......you wont be coming back here....

This is now officially rock bottom.....well, maybe officially winning the wooden spoon is it, but for me if that occurs it would become a double bottom..

So, things will meander for a while, we wont really go anywhere for a while...but in time, we start to climb out of this hole we have made for ourselves...

Im glad the club didnt buckle and match the offer; 1 reason why I think the club can restart again..

But if you ask me, all this talk about where the club needs to vomit the money saved by Fifita going.....

Renegotiate Payne Haas's contract, and do it now.....

Everyone in league knows he is being paid under's; show some initiative, redo his contract and use the money Fifita has just freed up. Make him know he is the guy we intend to rebuild the entire team around.

There is no-one who is of any use to use to attract right now, and they would not come anyway.

Last edited:
Oates isn’t in the same class as Fifita but I agree with the sentiment of learning to use backrowers better.

This signing is a huge blow for the club, make no mistake. Yes it was ridiculous money but these kids reportedly had a pact to win a premiership together and take under a if need be. One of the two absolute best has just walked. What makes others now want to stay for less? It sure isn’t a good coach or pride in the jersey.
This is the issue for me... they were one in all in... and now one has walked.

And we have no leaders to bring the group back together

He is our best player and Seibold is trying to survive ... He will play.

if he doesn't and we keep losing, you watch for the same people saying Fifita should never play for us again turn, and whinge that Fifita wasn't playing

well, seeya David......you wont be coming back here....

This is now officially rock bottom.....well, maybe officially winning the wooden spoon is it, but for me if that occurs it would become a double bottom..

So, things will meander for a while, we wont really go anywhere for a while...but in time, we start to climb out of this hole we have made for ourselves...

Im glad the club didnt buckle and match the offer; 1 reason why I think the club can restart again..

But if you ask me, all this talk about where the club needs to vomit the money saved by Fifita going.....

Renegotiate Payne Haas's contract, and do it now.....

Everyone in league knows he is being paid under's; show some initiative, redo his contract and use the money Fifita has just freed up. Make him know he is the guy we intend to rebuild the entire team around.

There is no-one who is of any use to use to attract right now, and they would not come anyway.
We won’t just magically climb out of the hole though, things need to be done for that to happen. At this stage it doesn’t seem like we have anyone equipped to do get it done and I’m not convinced we have bottomed out.

Massive, massive job for whoever the incoming CEO is.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.