Top four - will we make it?

Will the Broncos make the Top Four??

• Total voters
bronco_babe77 said:
Does it matter if we don't make the 4? I don't mind.. depends who we are up against in round 1. Seriously, when was the last time we won the first round of finals at home? I think I've been to all of them since about 2004 and can't remember them winning any of them - even in 06 when we flogged everyone else at that time.

I think we can possibly sneak into the 4 - but it doesn't bother me either way. I wouldn't like going any lower than 5th though. I voted for 5th - I think that sounds about right. Like Rocky said, the St George one will be the hardest. They have screwed us up so many times up here in recent years. I think I've been to them all [icon_thumbs_do

The last time we won the first round of the finals at home (or anywhere for that matter) was 2002.

In fact, our first week finals record is absolutely abysmal, even dating back to 1998:

1998: lost to Parramatta (technically it was week 2, but it was the Broncos' first game. Went on to win the title)
1999: lost to Cronulla (eliminated)
2000: beat Cronulla
2001: lost to Cronulla (beat St George-Illawarra, then lost to Parramatta)
2002: beat Parramatta (then lost to the Roosters to be eliminated)
2003: lost to Penrith (eliminated)
2004: lost to Melbourne (lost again following week to Cowboys and eliminated)
2005: lost to Melbourne (lost to Tigers next week and gooooone)
2006: lost to St George-Illawarra (went on to win the premiership)
2007: lost to Melbourne (eliminated)

So we've won twice in the last 10 years in the first week.

Think back to 2004 as well. St George-Illawarra finished 5th that year. Lost to Penrith by 1 point in the first week. Because the Broncos (3rd) and Canterbury (2nd) got beaten in the first week, they got eliminated.

Finishing 5th doesn't guarantee you passage to week 2!

another interesting stat from that is that we have played melbourne in each of the last 4 finals series

Hammo said:
All I know is rnabakov bet me $100 that we wouldn't make the finals!!!

And that is still possible, although I do concede unlikely, unless we don't aim up, and other results don't go our way.

Also, I don't think we should take the Kniggots lightly in the last round.

Of course, I hope I lose my bet Hammo icon_smile

rnabokov said:
Of course, I hope I lose my bet Hammo icon_smile

we all pray you lose you bet [icon_razz1

cameo said:
nopatience101 said:
i think the raiders will start believing their own press and against the broncos at suncorp in a big game they will choke....
Their job will be that much harder without Todd "taking the p1ss" Carney and Allan "ribs" Tongue out. If only Campese would fall over at training...

Are you saying that Tongue is out? I haven't heard.

Source?

I don't think its confirmed but highly likely, as he injured his knee on the weekend and came straight off. He knew he was gone, but he is one tough little bastard.

rnabokov said:
cameo said:
nopatience101 said:
i think the raiders will start believing their own press and against the broncos at suncorp in a big game they will choke....
Their job will be that much harder without Todd "taking the p1ss" Carney and Allan "ribs" Tongue out. If only Campese would fall over at training...

Source?
heinz.jpg

rnabokov said:
cameo said:
nopatience101 said:

Source?
Just wishful thinking, I'm afraid. I did hear on the radio that he was going for scans today but was hopeful of playing this weekend but you can never trust the spin-doctors these days.

I think we have a better draw than in previous years. The victory over the Sharks should give us some confidence and I have complete faith in our ability to make the top 4.

bronco_babe77 said:
Does it matter if we don't make the 4? I don't mind.. depends who we are up against in round 1. Seriously, when was the last time we won the first round of finals at home? I think I've been to all of them since about 2004 and can't remember them winning any of them - even in 06 when we flogged everyone else at that time.

I think we can possibly sneak into the 4 - but it doesn't bother me either way. I wouldn't like going any lower than 5th though. I voted for 5th - I think that sounds about right. Like Rocky said, the St George one will be the hardest. They have screwed us up so many times up here in recent years. I think I've been to them all [icon_thumbs_do

So was young Christopher, remember we figured out that formula [icon_wink

Minor premiership sounds tasty but unlikely as others have said. IMO with the draw we've got, there is no excuse for finishing any lower than where we currently sit. So looking at either Sharks or Roosters in week 1 of the Finals, both winnable games whether we play at home or not. And that should give us some nice momentum heading into the last 3 weeks of the finals. Just cross our fingers that we're there for all 3 of those last 3 weeks [icon_pray.

It all depends on all the other results of the teams in the top 4 already.

Hope we get the Roosters whether we finish 3,4,5,6 (our likely destinations) our record against them in recent years is excellent and I would back us to beat them home or away.

broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
cameo said:
nopatience101 said:

Source?
heinz.jpg

ewwwwww cherry flavour, i mean flava

Its going to be very hard for us to get the 3 points back on Cronulla and the Roosters seeing as we dont play either of them again this season!

I also think that most of the teams, except the dragons aren't any chance of making up the 3 points they are behind.

Logic says 5th but I am none the less hoping that we make the top 4 to pretty much ensure a 2nd bite at the finals cherry!

Jeza23 said:
Logic says 5th but I am none the less hoping that we make the top 4 to pretty much ensure a 2nd bite at the finals cherry!

Whoever plays Manly at Brookie and Melbourne at Mexico in week 1 will be gone. Finish 6th or higher and you will get 2 bites at the cherry for sure IMO.

Jebadude said:
Jeza23 said:

Whoever plays Manly at Brookie and Melbourne at Mexico in week 1 will be gone. Finish 6th or higher and you will get 2 bites at the cherry for sure IMO.

Unless one of those teams lose on purpose to knock out the best team in the comp in the first week. :evil:

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.