Trial #1 vs. Cowboys Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Often they put on a weaker side for half the game and a stronger side for the other half. Also, when Kahu gets a run at 6, maybe Maranta will go to FB and Vidot gets on the field.

PS, or Vidot to back row, but there are plenty of other forwards on the bench.

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It could be that Vidot is already in one of the wing spots and Hook wants to see how both Copley and JYY go at centre to see who gets wing and who gets centre.

I know Hunt is first choice half back but given we have a new look spine and don't know who's playing six, why not play him alongside the other two or three halves to see who gels with him the best? That is a weird side for mine.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yes, I forgot about Big Gav. Handy player but for whatever reason, I always tend to forget about him - probably because I never rated him too highly to begin with.

Cowboys will present a good challenge to our halves. It's one thing to throw a couple of nice passes and put through a couple of tricky kicks - another when you have to deal with big blokes running at you all night.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
It's great to see Granville and Marmin Barba getting some game time. Strasser also. I would have liked to have seen Hunt be picked so he can work on combinations.

I hope Yow Yeh being named at centre isn't a sign that he will play centre if he returns to the NRL. IMO, he would be a defensive liability and wouldn't be able to keep up. I would much prefer him to defend on the wing.

Disappointed to see that they didn't include a couple more regulars to give them some game time before the 9's comp so they would be better prepared. I wasn't expecting their strongest squad, but a couple more of them would've been good.

I don't know how Maranta is still getting in the side. Does he have naked photos of a board member or something?

It's an interesting line-up indeed.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I am surprised Vidot is there at all. Wasnt he playing in the world cup for Samoa

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The naming of maranta could mean many things. As has been said it could be because vidot is pretty much got a spot locked up and they want to see who else is going to get a spot, it could simply be everyone will get similar minutes and they have just put the names down, not in a particular order. It could be that they aren't entirely sure where they will play vidot (seeing he has played wing/centre and backrow) so he is coming of the bench for that purpose.

I am surprised to see maranta named at all after last year but for all we know he may have been killing it in the preseason. Now that we have a new fitness and conditioning coach whose idea of training isn't eating pies and KFC while sitting on your arse watching keeping up with the kardashians marathons that he has some speed.... who knows, anything is possible

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
4 Jharal Yow Yeh

So who is going to the game with a camera to live stream this for the rest of us...

i want to go but i cant really get there early. which probably means a terrible view point for the game. DECISIONS

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I was thinking about recording the game on my iPhone. If I can get a good spot.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
4 props but no edge backrowers named on the bench. A bit strange, but not a huge issue seeing as the pecking order is pretty much established there. Maybe Vidot or Yow Yeh might spend some time there.

Unfortunately I have work so I can't go to the game but it'd be awesome if some HQers could keep an eye on a few things, namely:

1) Where Vidot plays
2) Whether Copley spends any time on the wing
3) Who plays hooker when Granville is off out of Cullen/Barba, though possibly Stagg or Lowrie (hopefully not)
4) How much time Kahu spends, if any, at five-eighth. It seems odd to be trialing him at fullback unless Barba in the halves is still on the table and they want to see if his training in the halves would enable him to play a Corey Norman-like role at the back.
5) Where Marmin plays
6) How well Granville goes tackling the Cowboys' forwards, who are pretty massive even without Tamou
7) Anything to do with Yow Yeh

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
It could be that Vidot is already in one of the wing spots and Hook wants to see how both Copley and JYY go at centre to see who gets wing and who gets centre.

I know Hunt is first choice half back but given we have a new look spine and don't know who's playing six, why not play him alongside the other two or three halves to see who gels with him the best? That is a weird side for mine.
I hope Vidot gets the wing spot outside Copley but no way has he earned it already, especially seeing as he's only been with the club for a month of training and we actually have some depth in the backs this year. That being said, Maranta was reportedly outplayed by Kemp in the trials last year but that didn't seem to mean anything (legitimately not trying to start another 'Maranta is terrible' or 'Kemp should have been given a shot' conversation, I'm just Saiyan).

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Interesting line-up.. not a massive fan of Green and Maranta in the starting lineup.. would've much prefered Vidot and Molo get the first opportunity.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Awesome news about Jharal, what a legend.
Also interested in seeing how Marmin fits into the side...
Isn't he still in the mid 70kg range ??
Someone has got to record this game !

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
So, what time does the game start on Saturday night? I finish work at 6:30 in Newstead and could make the drive up there to be there around 7:15 or so...

Cheers.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
still dont understand why people are concerned about who is and who isnt in the starting lineup...

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
For reference for those questioning the pecking order, our trial teams last year were:

Trial 1: 1. Joe Bond
2. Delroy Berryman
3. Lachlan Maranta
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Denan Kemp
6. Luke Capewell
7. Ben Hunt
8. Scott Anderson
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Caleb Timu
12. Nick Slyney
13. Brendon Gibb

14. Jake Granville
15. Cameron Cullen
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. Mitchell Dodds
18. Francis Molo
19. Chris MLean
20. Joe Forrester
21. Peter Gubb

Trial 2:
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Delroy Berryman
3. Dale Copley
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Corey Norman
7. Peter Wallace
8. Josh McGuire
9. Ben Hunt
10. Mitchell Dodds
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker
14. Scott Prince
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Scott Anderson
17. David Stagg
18. Jarrod Wallace
19. Jake Granville
20. Francis Molo
21. Nick Slyney
22. Joe Bond
23. Denan Kemp

Trial 3:
1 Josh Hoffman
2 Delroy Berryman
3 Justin Hodges
4 Jordan Kahu
5 Lachlan Maranta
6 Corey Norman
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Josh McGuire
11 Alex Glenn ©
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker
Interchange
14 Scott Prince
15 Sam Thaiday
16 Ben Hunt
17 David Stagg
18 Mitchell Dodds
19 Scott Anderson
20 Jack Reed
21 Joe Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Lostboy
  • Jedhead
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Socnorb
  • Santa
  • Maroon4life
  • Lurker
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Spooky1013
  • Jazza
  • Mustafur
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.