NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think its starting to come together:

1. Cobbo/Isaako
2. Farnworth/Cobbo
3. Staggs
4. Lee
5. Pereira
6. Mam (I reckon he will get it) / Walters (I think he is the best option at 6 AND 9 AND 14 but Mam is knocking the door down and has so much upside it isn't funny)
7. Reynolds (c)
8. Haas
9. Turpin / Walters (Again Walters could certainly play 9 but I love the idea of him on the bench to cover either 6 or 9 when he comes on)
10. Flegler (when he's available, he's in - legit origin starter contender)
11. Capewell
12. Riki (if fit)
13. Hetherington

14. Walters
15. James
16. Carrigan (to ease him in after a long term injury)
17. Robati / Piakura / Gamble / Kennedy / Jensen - Take a pick

It isn't as unsettled I think as it seems on first look.
From that I (wish/likely)
1. Cobbo/Isaako or Mead
2. Farnworth/Cobbo
3. Staggs
4. Lee/Farnworth
5. Pereira
6. Mam/Walters
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Paix/Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington
14. Walters
15. Carrigan
16. James/
17. Robati

Flegler is going to be big this year. Paix is better than Turpin. Mam I want to be 6 but I don’t think kevvie has the balls, he probably doesn’t have the balls to select his son either. Gamble and Kelly have lost there automatic rights to that spot and I think any chance of making the side they need something special next week to make me forget about today. Our forward pack is shaping up to be amazing. Spine is a bit of an issue as long as Mam or Walters is half our halves are good but worryingly Turpin will be 9 and we are missing Niu to start the season. Outside backs just need defensive combinations.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
What has actually changed in this team besides the furniture? Still the same shit edge defence. Headless chooks. All effort, no brains. Is this a coaching problem? Too early to tell, but Kevin needs next week to be clinical. We can't have another last few years...

Pull your head in, it was a trial.

We were never beating the Titans by 50 the same way we did to a park footy team last weekend, it's about individuals showing they deserve to be in the team and tonight I can say there were a few individuals who did just that and a few who did themselves no favours too.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
What has actually changed in this team besides the furniture? Still the same shit edge defence. Headless chooks. All effort, no brains. Is this a coaching problem? Too early to tell, but Kevin needs next week to be clinical. We can't have another last few years...
The edge defence was great when Capwell, Lee, and Walters were on the left.

The right was a bit sus but Staggs was rushing in which was working but risky. Reynolds will also direct defence better even if he isn’t a big body himself.

Our attack was pretty shit but Paix coming on fixed things a lot and Reynolds will be infinitely better than Gamble or Kelly in 7. He will also be able to rip into the forwards when they throw dumb offloads or don’t work towards spots on the field.

Basically too early to tell.

The bad hands and penalties were the worst part.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I won’t comment on the negatives but the left edge defence has been great. Wouldn’t be mad if we keep those guys for round 1.

Lee and Capewell have transformed that edge defence.
On this point, I’m disappointed Kev didn’t give Ezra a stint next to Capewell. I think playing next to Kurt would be massive for his development.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
IMO, this is how they should run out in round 1. based on the first two trials, and for the few that haven't played a trial yet, i'm basing it on last years form, what i know of their ability and maybe even a bit of a gut feeling:

1. Farnworth
2. Pereira
3. Staggs
4. Lee
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reynolds (c)
8. James
9. Paix
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hethrington

14. Turpin
15. Carrigan
16. Jensen
17. Robati.

Halves battle

Realistically, the halves battle has come down to two, Walters and Mam. I picked Walters because IMO his defence is better and that will be important in the early rounds.

Walters has also really put his hand up this pre-season and from his first two performances has seemingly shed the nepotism tag and become a real option in the minds of the supporters.

I believe Mam will be take the spot for himself, by mid year, in which Walters whould definitely take the utility spot on the bench and relegate Turpin back to the QLD Cup.

p.s. it really is a shame Flegler is out for the first few rounds because he has been super impressive this pre-season

p.p.s IF you're going to move Cobbo out of his preferred position to fullback, it should be done at the start of a pre-season and allow him to train and trial there all pre-season
but you're happy to do exactly that with Farnworth??
at least Cobbo has had some time at 1 in cup last year, Herbie hasn't.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
On this point, I’m disappointed Kev didn’t give Ezra a stint next to Capewell. I think playing next to Kurt would be massive for his development.

don't worry ... he'll get that chance before too long

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
on another note **** me doesn't bellamy look more and more like wayne bennett every year.

its scary i swear they are brothers

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
My takeaways from this trial.

Brenko Lee or Jordan Pereira should be somewhere in the backline. I don’t think we can fit both in at full strength but both have looked good.

Capewell is just quality.

Walters should get first crack at the 6. **** off with the nepotism stuff he is clearly the best option at this stage.

Too early for Mam but he looks like he is going to be really good.

Paix needs to be our main hooker, there is no question. I could take Turpin taking the early starch but outside of that I don’t want to see anymore of him.

Hetherington looks like he has gotten even better.

How does anyone spend more than 5 minutes with Cronk without wanting to headbutt him?

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • IceWorks
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.