5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

J

Justwin

BRL Player
Feb 18, 2022
While we learn to grind out games, a FB with experience in defence probably outweighs the benefit of having a future superstar learning to play men on the job, and scoring a killer try from time to time.

We should start the season aiming to either win, or grind out very close losses. I think we have a better chance with a less entertaining, experienced FB.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Can Ezra kick ?
Billy put in a kick from half way that went deep . I was impressed for a fella who has had knee probs .

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Latrell plays there and he gives Andrew Fifita a run for his money.
I can't argue that but he's surprisingly quick and is just a freak talent. Cobbo has a long way to go yet.

**** I hope you're right though, Niu/Isaako fullback options are both depressing

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I can't argue that but he's surprisingly quick and is just a freak talent. Cobbo has a long way to go yet.

**** I hope you're right though, Niu/Isaako fullback options are both depressing

I still have hope for Niu though if he can somehow fix his truly woeful defense. His attack is good.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Cobbo was gassed and couldn't chase an overweight winger. What makes you think he has the fitness for the toughest position in the game that needs unlimited energy
Big whoop you had over inflating expectations of his speed mate. Just cause the bloke is solid doesn’t mean he can’t fucken run fast. The dude didn’t gain anything on Cobbo if anything Cobbo closed in on him slightly. Yeah it’s unfortunate he couldn’t match the pace but you can’t put it directly down to fitness and the other bloke being fat. Has nothing to do with playing fullback.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
If Paix starts at 9, Billy plays 14 and Ezra to 6.
If Turpin is 9, Paix 14 Billy 6.

I hope Herbie gets a run at Fullback next week, Mead is reliable and safe but he just seems to lack something there. Herbie you know youll probably get 200m a game. Herbie at Fullback would free up a centre spot for Lee.
Hetherington has to be starting 13 and I'd probably consider Jenson for round 1 with Flegler missing thought he was solid in the middle.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Tonight was a reality check for the Broncos and after all the positivity from last week they were made to look very ordinary.

I was not impressed at all with that opening spine combination and while Walters did look the most likely he didn't really nail his performance either. I thought the only players who looked impressive were Capewell and Hetherington.

I actually thought the spine looked better organised in the second despite Gamble having an absolute shocker of a game. Isaako enabled the team to play more expansive and both Mam and Paix asked better questions.

Even so, Brisbane just could not get into the game and just made too made bad mistakes. A lot of them were from players who are still really green so I can live with that and in fairness to players like Mariner I thought they came up with some good 1%er type plays. I still think there's a shot Mariner plays NRL some point this season but he'll have to find his footing in QCup.

I think Pereira has definitely nailed down that right hand wing spot. I'm not sure about Cobbo at this stage and whether he should even start in the NRL. Good prospect but he seemed to struggle with the pace, we need to look after him.

Carrigan made an instant impact but I thought he dropped off immediately. I don't think he should start on that performance and honestly would not be against him playing QCup to start the year.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Big whoop you had over inflating expectations of his speed mate. Just cause the bloke is solid doesn’t mean he can’t fucken run fast. The dude didn’t gain anything on Cobbo if anything Cobbo closed in on him slightly. Yeah it’s unfortunate he couldn’t match the pace but you can’t put it directly down to fitness and the other bloke being fat. Has nothing to do with playing fullback.
Well I'll tell you what, he can't be worse than Isaako, now that's a genuinely shit fullback.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Paix needs to start at 9. Walters looks a safe pick at 6 to start the season. Carrigan very off the pace, massively outplayed by Hetherington
I think we have to see the 3rd trial before making a call on the 6. That said it looks pretty good for walters but i havent seen him kick much.
Id go with isaako for rnd 1 based on tonight but it really depends on whats happening at training.
To me hethrington is the lock, carrigan to prop (off the bench to begin). Jensen may be a smokie if james isnt fit.
Im going with
1. Isaako
2. Periera
3 staggs
4 lee
5 farnsworth
6 Walters
7 reynolds
8 haas
9 turpin
10 james (if fit)/carrigan/jensen in that order of preference (obviously flegler after suspension)
11 capewell
12 ricki
13 hethrington
14 gamble
15 carrigan
16 robati
17 jensen
Mam is really close and might yet make round 1 but he just didnt involve himself enough for me to be confident and i want the 5/8 touching regularly, and that was walters.
Gamble did too but he was off tonight.
Id like to see him actually play 6 instead of 7 and i would have liked to have both halves work together but that didnt really happen. Hopefully reynolds brings that next week.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think Billy is probably in front for 6, he’s mature, dependable, clever footy player. But Mam is just one of those instinctual players that has a knack to always be where the ball is and it’s hard to leave him out, and if you do, it’s only a matter of time before you are forced to pick him anyway. His defence has surprised me too, he hasn’t shied away from the contact. It’s a tough call.

I would be tempted to go Mam @ 6 and Billy on the bench and I think if not for Paix making a case for himself that would be the way we would go. I think too that Paix’s game still probably benefits more from playing 60-70mins in qcup than 20-30mins in nrl. Reynolds being an older HB too probably makes you lean toward having some genuine cover for him on the bench. Billy just reminds me a lot of Casey McGuire and I think that’s the sort of role he could fill.

Loch Ness Monster

Loch Ness Monster

QCup Player
Oct 19, 2016
Didn’t get to watch the game unfortunately, but I’m stunned with Walters approval rating! Can someone
Shed some light on the best attributes of his game? I figured when I saw his age and his last name the coach was just throwing him a bone being in the squad. It’s great to hear he might actually have some useful skills for this squad.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Our best forward out there was Jensen, he really is a no nonsense prop. Takes the tough carry and looked secure with the pill and his defensive efforts are tidy. He is a smokey for me, for a bench spot. Was one of the reasons we were able to get back on the front foot late in the game.

Walters is by far the most complete player ready for the 6 at this moment. The problem is this team has two spine problems he may need to be useful for, the 9 and 6. Turpin is not up to grade, his decision making, pass selection and attack is very poor. Paix is an obvious real option but unlikely he has 80 in him.

Gamble and Kelly are backup players at best, they have too many errors in them. All the main problem makers showed up again tonight with errors, Oates, Turpin, Kelly and Isaako. All of them have experience and deserve criticism for this.

Mam will need time in cup but there is a player there, same with Mariner. They are not quite ready for the NRL, we don't want to burn these kids like we have done the past.

JP and Lee look to be a real solid combo and an option to think about going forward.

Cobbo was good in parts, poor in others.

Kobi is a beast and was close to be being the best on field also.

Lots to think about going forward but this showed me our spine is still not NRL standard as is. Our Fullback stocks are still below average, our hooker and six currently have second tier players competing for a starting spot. To get the best out of this team going forward some tough calls have to be made, Gamble and Walters both need a chance to show something next Reynolds and Turpin's role going forward needs to come under the microscope.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • thenry
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.