7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Brenko has to be there. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years it's defence wins game and our defence sucks. We need someone like Brenko for his maturity and defence. Niu can stew in reserves for all I care.

1. Herbie
2. Pereira
3. Brenko
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reno
9. Paix

Oates can also spend the year as injury depth then find a new club where he puts effort in before it's contract year.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Brenko has to be there. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years it's defence wins game and our defence sucks. We need someone like Brenko for his maturity and defence. Niu can stew in reserves for all I care.

1. Herbie
2. Pereira
3. Brenko
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo

Oates can also spend the year as injury depth then find a new club where he puts effort in before it's contract year.
I wish the coaching staff had given Herbie a run at fullback in one of these trials. If he did a half-decent job it would have solved a few problems.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
We heard rumours a while back that Billy was gonna be 6 and no-one believed it.

An interesting option would be Billy at 6 and Mam 14. Billy could switch to hooker when Turps needs a spell, allowing a fresh Mam to come on at 5/8 once the game has slowed down a bit. It would be the ideal way to ease him into first grade.

But then where would Paix fit in? And could Billy handle this workload?

Team composition seems pretty complicated this year, good luck with that Kevvie.

Easy ... he's the best hooker on our roster, he starts at 9.

The rest of your post sounds like a good option

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He had another solid game. He's been my pick for the 13 for a long time tbh.

Early when he was passing the ball he looked slick .
Later when he just ran he was still effective . I would like to see him run with the half or full back in support . Then things could get real interesting .

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Unpopular opinion but I think Pereira and Brenko deserve to be in the team on the back of trial performances. Not sure what’s going on with Herbie and why he isn’t playing, but I’d say pereira and Brenko have out performed Cobbo, Oates, Mead and Isaako comfortably.

Not sure that opinion will be too unpopular

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I hope so. It’s a tricky one but playing it out in the media if he does no has put a lot of unnecessary scrutiny on the rest of the half options.
would get scrutinised either way so what would you suggest? you need to create competition , it's not Kevvie's fault that they have been underwhelming .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

1. Herbie
2. Pereira
3. Brenko
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reno
9. Paix

I agree this is the best backline if defence truly is the focus going into this season.

Capewell and Lee will make the left edge highly reliable and be the perfect counter balance to the attacking ability of the right edge.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I wish the coaching staff had given Herbie a run at fullback in one of these trials. If he did a half-decent job it would have solved a few problems.
think both him and Cobbo should have been tried. only thing I can think is Kevvie has his team set , and he wants everyone to play in those positions and not chop and change to much. guessing that means niu , mead and Isaako are the fullback options.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
would get scrutinised either way so what would you suggest? you need to create competition , it's not Kevvie's fault that they have been underwhelming .
I’d have told the media that we know exactly who the 6 is and there’s no need for the speculation because you will all find out come round 1. if they ask why are we experimenting so much during the trials you could respond “we have a next man up mentality and all the halves need to be ready in the event of a call up.” Regardless of people’s thoughts on Wayne, I think he would’ve handled the media far better and taken much of the external pressure away from them. Kev is a very honest guy but it just feeds the media. Wayne would not have accommodated the media frenzy. He could’ve even told the guys internally that the spot is open to be taken but to keep the media quiet we are going to tell them that [whoever] has the spot locked up. Instead we’ve had a rugby league version of the bachelor unfold.

It is kind of Kev’s responsibility that they have all been underwhelming, he is their coach after all.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I’d have told the media that we know exactly who the 6 is and there’s no need for the speculation because you will all find out come round 1. if they ask why are we experimenting so much during the trials you could respond “we have a next man up mentality and all the halves need to be ready in the event of a call up.” Regardless of people’s thoughts on Wayne, I think he would’ve handled the media far better and taken much of the external pressure away from them. Kev is a very honest guy but it just feeds the media. Wayne would not have accommodated the media frenzy. He could’ve even told the guys internally that the spot is open to be taken but to keep the media quiet we are going to tell them that [whoever] has the spot locked up. Instead we’ve had a rugby league version of the bachelor unfold.

It is kind of Kev’s responsibility that they have all been underwhelming, he is their coach after all.
so you'd do exactly the opposite that Kevvie would and it's his fault Kelly and Gamble have been underwhelming, yeah righto .

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
He definitely doesn’t look like the player from the back end of last season.
I’m still a fan of having him back in qcup playing 80min at the back.
Thats my feeling too. Let him learn fullback in q cup snd make the midtakes he needs to (i know hes been pretty good running at the back but he needs to show ball play too). Pick him at 18th man for round 1, and bring mam along too, or atleast have them run with the team at times before game day as i think they are that close but not yet ready.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
so you'd do exactly the opposite that Kevvie would and it's his fault Kelly and Gamble have been underwhelming, yeah righto .
Please feel free to point out where I’m wrong rather than paraphrasing and a sarcastic righto. I’m definitely happy to have my view changed.

Dearden was playing good footy after he had a few weeks in the cows system. Gamble and Kelly looked like Croft - forcing plays that weren’t on, making unforced errors, playing without confidence. Commotion for spots is one thing but imagine going to work everyday after having a caretaker role in a higher position and then everyday you go to work the boss is saying “this job is up for grabs, it could be anyones”. Everyone at the work site is talking about it and you know each error you make could see you miss out. I don’t think that’s healthy competition.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I would have done what Kevvie has done to see who swims under the pressure because pressure is what the NRL is all about. So far Nam and Walters have stood up under the microscope, Gamble and Kelly haven’t.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • broncs30
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Strop
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • Aldo
  • mitch222
  • Galah
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Browny
  • Organix
  • Allo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bucking Beads
... and 37 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.