TRIAL 3: BRONCOS 6 v COWBOYS 26

SATURDAY FEB 26, 8PM (QLD TIME), 9PM (COCKROACH TIME): BRONCOS v COWBOYS. BB PRINT STADIUM, MACKAY

WEATHER

GUSTY STORM CLEARING. 23 DEGREES.

ScreenFMVl9reVcAA97uv

BRONCOS TEAM
1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Billy Walters
8. Pat Carrigan
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell ©
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Ryan James
15. Keenan Palasia
16. Jake Turpin
17. Rhys Kennedy
18. Corey Jensen
19. Tyson Gamble
20. TC Robati
21. David Mead
22. Ezra Mam
23. Brenko Lee
24. Jamayne Isaako

COWBOYS TEAM
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Peta Hiku
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Chad Townsend
8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
9. Reece Robson
10. Coen Hess
11. Heilum Luki
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Jake Granville
15. Jordan McLean
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Tom Gilbert
18. Brendan Elliot
19. Scott Drinkwater
20. Griffin Neame

Match will be telecast on Fox/Kayo.

Other matches in @theshed Cockroach time. Subtract an hour for QLD:

4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Yep it's a hard one... we need him in the NRL at wing or centre, but if we want him at 1 then he needs to be playing down in Qcup.

I thought his ball skills were actually solid in those first 15mins, so there is something there to work with... but he needs time in the position and full on coaching. I'm not sure how you go about it.

I'm pretty sure GI and Latrell played basically all their juniors at fullback... so the move to wing/centre was only a temporary measure
He is probably just a stop gap at FB for Niu anyway.

It was a trial game.

The team looked sluggish but there’s been a new strength and conditioning staff and they would have been flogging the side to get them into shape. That will improve as time goes on. Combinations will start to form, the team will start to gel. It’s a long season.

It’s ridiculous to hit the panic buttons already after a couple of trials.

It was a trial game.

The team looked sluggish but there’s been a new strength and conditioning staff and they would have been flogging the side to get them into shape. That will improve as time goes on. Combinations will start to form, the team will start to gel. It’s a long season.

It’s ridiculous to hit the panic buttons already after a couple of trials.
Yep - we also now have 2 weeks to freshen up for round one as well.

I hope the players aren't just relying on Reyno (as mentioned earlier) because if he gets injured we will be up that creek without a paddle.

If it's any consolation, here's how we went in previous trials against the Cowboys:

2022 Cowboys 26 Broncos 6
2021 Cowboys 34 Broncos 18
2020 Cowboys 18 Broncos 16
2016 Broncos 48 Cowboys 26
2015 Cowboys 18 Broncos 6

The Cobbo criticism is a bit harsh, we should all remember he is a rookie. Like 5 NRL games or something to his name. He would be having a mix of not having the motor for first grade yet and rookie adrenaline dump that sucks the life out of you. It may take a few games but games are what he needs.

The Cobbo criticism is a bit harsh, we should all remember he is a rookie. Like 5 NRL games or something to his name. He would be having a mix of not having the motor for first grade yet and rookie adrenaline dump that sucks the life out of you. It may take a few games but games are what he needs.
I agree. Some over reactions especially those who think he falls out of the team cause Oates didn’t make a mistake for once and Cobbo shit the bed at fullback. Cobbo is still in that side just probably not at Fullback and that is only due to the fact we aren’t in a position to waste 5 games of results to develop him. A fast start is needed and it is more likely with Isaako at the back making less rookie errors. I think as long as he isn’t in origin like form on the wing he needs maybe 5 or 6 games of fullback at q-cup for development this year, hope he understands it’s not about demotion rather than developing another area of his game. Will really help for some game fitness if we need to rely on him at a later stage in the year.

Issako never outplayed Cobbo by any means and I believe shouldnt be near our 17. It was Cobbo's 1st game at the back and in pretty ordinary playing conditions as well. Cobbo was solid without being fantastic, but you can't fly out and judge him after 1 game as well. Cobbo wasn't spending the while off-season at fullback either it was Niu. Potential is there for sure with Cobbo but just not yet and really I would leave him there till Niu returns and drop one of the wingers when he does.

that can be said about a number of our rookies, expectations of or youngsters is ridiculous at times.

Looking on the bright side, the team did look good in parts until they actually needed to score in the red zone, which is presumably what Arey can help with... they certainly looked like they don't have a clue otherwise.

I still find this strange... I mean the Storm have sweeping back line plays but we seem to have no set plays ready to go apart from one outs and improvised play. Guess it could be explained by coaching :)

Issako never outplayed Cobbo by any means and I believe shouldnt be near our 17. It was Cobbo's 1st game at the back and in pretty ordinary playing conditions as well. Cobbo was solid without being fantastic, but you can't fly out and judge him after 1 game as well. Cobbo wasn't spending the while off-season at fullback either it was Niu. Potential is there for sure with Cobbo but just not yet and really I would leave him there till Niu returns and drop one of the wingers when he does.
I neither anyone else here was worried about what Cobbo did with ball in hand. He did most things right in that category but the bat on in our own half that would have amounted to nothing anyway. It was off the ball mainly in defence he was horrible. He has 2 weeks to figure that out and in better conditions he hopefully pulls it off a bit better but his coverage was woeful. He plays Fullback than good on him he doesn’t than it’s probably for the best. Isaako is by no means good but he at least has the experience to do the 1% that don’t get acknowledged correctly. Not expecting much more from Cobbo he hasn’t really ever been in much of a position where he has had to be the complete package at fullback it just means he has to figure it out. We can’t afford him making 2-3 costly errors for tries every week just to develop him. Cause I tell you whilst you don’t win the comp at the start of the season. I assure you our success will very much be determined by how much confidence they get out of those first 5-6 rounds. We come out of that with 2-3 wins instead of 1 maybe 0 makes a big difference. It’s either bite the bullet now and chuck both Ezra and Selwyn (fullback) or they continue to develop until they prove otherwise.

Looking on the bright side, the team did look good in parts until they actually needed to score in the red zone, which is presumably what Arey can help with... they certainly looked like they don't have a clue otherwise.

I still find this strange... I mean the Storm have sweeping back line plays but we seem to have no set plays ready to go apart from one outs and improvised play. Guess it could be explained by coaching :)
I don't think it's coaching, I think it's lack of game awareness and ability to execute under pressure. This comes down to the players. Gamble talks and gets guys moving but he is also a erratic bloke himself it shows in his passing, which often is bullet like and/or forward. Billy isn't a halfback at all and looked a bit lost. Both would benefit from Reynolds, as will Kelly.

Reynolds isn't going to fix everything but he can fix the issues that only a halfback can. Direction, execution, field control through kicking and calming the players around him. He can't fix the defence.

I neither anyone else here was worried about what Cobbo did with ball in hand. He did most things right in that category but the bat on in our own half that would have amounted to nothing anyway. It was off the ball mainly in defence he was horrible. He has 2 weeks to figure that out and in better conditions he hopefully pulls it off a bit better but his coverage was woeful. He plays Fullback than good on him he doesn’t than it’s probably for the best. Isaako is by no means good but he at least has the experience to do the 1% that don’t get acknowledged correctly. No Blake going to Cobbo he hasn’t really ever been in much of a position where he has had to be the complete package at fullback it just means he has to figure it out. We can’t afford him making 2-3 costly errors for tries every week just to develop him. Cause I tell you whilst you don’t win the comp at the start of the season. I assure you our success will very much be determined by how much confidence they get out of those first 5-6 rounds. We come out of that with 2-3 wins instead of 1 maybe 0 makes a big difference. It’s either bite the bullet now and chuck both Ezra and Selwyn (fullback) or they continue to develop until they prove otherwise.
I would say yes to the 1% until I think of last year's game where it was close to half time and Issako was watching the ball till it rolls dead and presented the other team with a try from doing anything.

I would say yes to the 1% until I think of last year's game where it was close to half time and Issako was watching the ball till it rolls dead and presented the other team with a try from doing anything.
Not talking about those 1%ers probably worded it wrong. I mean just the accumulative percentage of their roles which is expected and don’t get acknowledged for that are just expected that are lacking in Cobbo’s game through no fault but his inexperience. I feel for him he had so much expectation with very little experience at this level to justify it. Probably in my heart if it’s a 50/50 I’d rather it be Isaako who will likely be the scapegoat as a result of it rather than the clearly under-prepared and not quite ready Cobbo.

It's overlooked that Cobbo's nine games at fullback last year for Wynnum they won eight- Grand FInal the only loss.

He was in a winning team, with a settled spine- Berrell was performing well scoring tries and tackling , Campagnolo was leading points scorer and Scarlett was playing great football and kicking teams to death- they went so well that Campagnolo and Berrell earned NRL deals.

He has none of that at the Broncos. Cobbo could just coast around out the back and come in on the left running like a kid on the oval.

Add in the step up from ISC to NRL and it's a lot to expect. Poor Mam will get the same treatment if people insist on rushing him.

Not excusing some of the weak efforts we saw from the Broncos in this game, BUT it's worth noting that if there was a ladder for pre-season games, the Cowboys would be sitting #1, as one of the few teams to win both trails and with a +/- far bigger than the next closest team, while the Panthers and Roosters would both be on the bottom with 0 wins and woeful differentials.

Let's wait until the real games to judge. At this level of competition, a team holding back even 5-10% to avoid the risk of injury in awful conditions makes a huge difference. The Cowboys excited to play in front of a Northern Queensland crowd and show up 'big brother' and putting in that extra 5% could be the reason for the difference in scores and output on the field.

Maybe we are still terrible, but I don't think this game is sufficient evidence to make that call.

I think its a genuine worry we looked lost in that 20 metres attacking zone than either our defence or the mistakes of some of younger players.
Id rather they things and fail in a trial rather than go through the motions.
We seemed to be just using the tackles as weak efforts to try and strike through, rather than set the team up to expose a weaknes like a big slow winger, a dodgy defensive centre or kicking to attack short players with a good leap.
We just rolled through some hit up or dummy half runs until we reach tackle and THEN try and enact that great set play at training (either a grubber overhit or a pass to back line player running each other out of space.
Having said that it was just a trial, played in atrocious conditions, and with some last minute changes, but that type of effort in attack cannot be an acceptable performance for round 1 (with or without reynolds).
I get the impression they will be flogged with defensive drilling going into round 1 and they definitely need it, but i think the halves need some work setting up a set of 6.
Whoever plays halfback must be capable of setting strategic planning in attack and atleast oneof our halves who isnt reynolds must be specifically capable or we should start looking now for that type of player.
The team too though must work in lockstep with them, because otherwise we will continue to see the likes farnsworth and staggs reduced to ",,stepping on a dime" to make something from nothing whilst facing being heavily marked.

I think its a genuine worry we looked lost in that 20 metres attacking zone than either our defence or the mistakes of some of younger players.
Id rather they things and fail in a trial rather than go through the motions.
We seemed to be just using the tackles as weak efforts to try and strike through, rather than set the team up to expose a weaknes like a big slow winger, a dodgy defensive centre or kicking to attack short players with a good leap.
We just rolled through some hit up or dummy half runs until we reach tackle and THEN try and enact that great set play at training (either a grubber overhit or a pass to back line player running each other out of space.
Having said that it was just a trial, played in atrocious conditions, and with some last minute changes, but that type of effort in attack cannot be an acceptable performance for round 1 (with or without reynolds).
I get the impression they will be flogged with defensive drilling going into round 1 and they definitely need it, but i think the halves need some work setting up a set of 6.
Whoever plays halfback must be capable of setting strategic planning in attack and atleast oneof our halves who isnt reynolds must be specifically capable or we should start looking now for that type of player.
The team too though must work in lockstep with them, because otherwise we will continue to see the likes farnsworth and staggs reduced to ",,stepping on a dime" to make something from nothing whilst facing being heavily marked.
You know we signed Reynolds right?

Unread

Active Now

• teampjta
  • thenry
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • Pablo
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • Stix
  • Skyblues87
  • phoenix
  • Volvo Driver
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.