TRIAL 3: BRONCOS 6 v COWBOYS 26

SATURDAY FEB 26, 8PM (QLD TIME), 9PM (COCKROACH TIME): BRONCOS v COWBOYS. BB PRINT STADIUM, MACKAY

WEATHER

GUSTY STORM CLEARING. 23 DEGREES.

ScreenFMVl9reVcAA97uv

BRONCOS TEAM
1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Billy Walters
8. Pat Carrigan
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell ©
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Ryan James
15. Keenan Palasia
16. Jake Turpin
17. Rhys Kennedy
18. Corey Jensen
19. Tyson Gamble
20. TC Robati
21. David Mead
22. Ezra Mam
23. Brenko Lee
24. Jamayne Isaako

COWBOYS TEAM
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Peta Hiku
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Chad Townsend
8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
9. Reece Robson
10. Coen Hess
11. Heilum Luki
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Jake Granville
15. Jordan McLean
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Tom Gilbert
18. Brendan Elliot
19. Scott Drinkwater
20. Griffin Neame

Match will be telecast on Fox/Kayo.

Other matches in @theshed Cockroach time. Subtract an hour for QLD:

4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Down by 20, 6 minutes left and turpin grubbers for touch? I know we are a dumb footy side but come on. I am not a turpin basher, but seriously, so often the cowboys short side was slow to retreat or their centre out of place and not once did turpin (or paix) go down the short side.

This game was a great opportunity to show that we had matured as a footy side (given we had older halves i expected better). Just play simple bad weather football. Keep things simple, win field position, kick to corners, be aggressive with the defence with good line speed and pressure their kickers

Instead we had no line speed (I fucking say this every game, whoever coaches our defensive strategy should be shot), lost just about every ruck in defence and attack (paix and turpin couldn't scoot because we never got a play the ball when the markers were not in position), could not stop their momentum and put no kick pressure on. We made Townsend and dearden look good.

Only positives would be hass (as always), carrigan (who was very good in his first real hit out with decent minutes) and kobe, who really got us to a great start. Hass and carrigan gassed but I think kevie didn't intend to play them in the second 40 so let them stay on longer (i hope, otherwise his bench management is shit).

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
Down by 20, 6 minutes left and turpin grubbers for touch? I know we are a dumb footy side but come on. I am not a turpin basher, but seriously, so often the cowboys short side was slow to retreat or their centre out of place and not once did turpin (or paix) go down the short side.

This game was a great opportunity to show that we had matured as a footy side (given we had older halves i expected better). Just play simple bad weather football. Keep things simple, win field position, kick to corners, be aggressive with the defence with good line speed and pressure their kickers

Instead we had no line speed (I fucking say this every game, whoever coaches our defensive strategy should be shot), lost just about every ruck in defence and attack (paix and turpin couldn't scoot because we never got a play the ball when the markers were not in position), could not stop their momentum and put no kick pressure on. We made Townsend and dearden look good.
Also gave away penalties at the worst time which just marched then down the field. A few times we had great defensive sets but gave away a penalty on the 4th, 5th which gave them relief.

Gamble played better than against the Titans but his kicking game was shit (something Townsend killed us with). Too many times he grubbered or kicked it dead, which he did last week too. Need to bomb more for Oates and cobbo instead of Staggs (wtf?).

At the end of the day the Cowboys wanted it more.

Edit: oh, and Brenko Lee was useless.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
On the positive side I think the first 20 minutes was the best period of footy we’ve played in years.

Played at a really high tempo, held onto the ball in good conditions, defended with intent and some level of line speed.

The only negative was that we were directionless and that will happen with an unsettled spine and no Reynolds. We should’ve scored more or at least forced a few repeat sets with all the field position we held - which again, I hope our halves will soon be able to do.

It all kind of went to shit after that but if we can build on that opening 20 we will do alright.

Ive said it few times but Haas, Carrigan and Hetherington were really good. Especially Carrigan - he really impressed me and has developed a passing game.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
On the positive side I think the first 20 minutes was the best period of footy we’ve played in years.

Played at a really high tempo, held onto the ball in good conditions, defended with intent and some level of line speed.

The only negative was that we were directionless and that will happen with an unsettled spine and no Reynolds. We should’ve scored more or at least forced a few repeat sets with all the field position we held - which again, I hope our halves will soon be able to do.

It all kind of went to shit after that but if we can build on that opening 20 we will do alright.

Ive said it few times but Haas, Carrigan and Hetherington were really good. Especially Carrigan - he really impressed me and has developed a passing game.

Actually saw he and Haas combining with a bit of ball playing, more of that.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Carrigan was good, but less is more, we don’t want him taking hit ups twice a set in the opposition 20m. We don’t want him to be like Gallen, where he has a high work rate, but gets in the way of the attack.

I thought Palasia was good, he ended last season really well, so if he carries that form into this year he will be very handy to have on the bench.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
this is what Fox Sports said about Cobbo's performance at fullback
I think this came from Ennis, he just went in with this preconceived idea about Cobbo’s performance, it was like he was watching a different game.

Cobbo was solid, but he’s still raw for an NRL winger, let alone FB. I don’t think he was ever going to be FB rd1, I think he was just given a taste.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I think this came from Ennis, he just went in with this preconceived idea about Cobbo’s performance, it was like he was watching a different game.

Cobbo was solid, but he’s still raw for an NRL winger, let alone FB. I don’t think he was ever going to be FB rd1, I think he was just given a taste.
I think isaako is the fullback for round 1, with lee and staggs centres and farnsworth and pareira wings. They may go with farnsworth at centre and retain oates but it would mean they are confident in defence but i dont see it.
I think most of the side is settled, and im sure they have already made the decision on the positions in question.
No one really made a claim for inclusion. Carrigan was good and hethrington has been consistently so, but i suspect theyre playing round 1 anyway and likely starting.
Reynolds and kevie know who the 5/8th is.
As for Cobbo, i think he would benifit from a few weeks playing q cup to finnesse his game as a fullback but they could just as easily start him on rhe wing. I just dont think he is fast enough for wing and im not sure he is much better than any other centre options.
Of course you could roll the dice and play him fullback but i think issako is the better option at this point and id rather see him debut there with the confidence of a successful q cup run and learning to be a voice at the back.
He didnt seem to do a lot of talking and its not a criticism of him, just a sign of a young man finding his way in the team.
All our young fullbacks have been that way, at least to begin with.
I know isaako was too, but he is a bit older and more settled, and seems more confident on the field.
All that sain cobbo has a big future.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think Reynolds fixes a lot of the issues but this will take time. I couldn’t be less concerned by trials and I thought it was very obvious that they were going through the motions with the priority to get through without injuries.

The Cowboys however seemed to play like it was a grand final which quite frankly I find bizarre, it is like the coach sent them out to win the preseason like that means something which if I am a cowboys fan I would find very concerning.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Just worries me that we are pinning all our hopes in Reynolds. If he goes down with a decent injury, we are fucked. The whole squad needs to lift.

Yeah I get it was just a trial, but all I saw were the same fundamental issues that have plagued the team over the last few years. There is still lots of work to do.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I think Reynolds fixes a lot of the issues but this will take time. I couldn’t be less concerned by trials and I thought it was very obvious that they were going through the motions with the priority to get through without injuries.

The Cowboys however seemed to play like it was a grand final which quite frankly I find bizarre, it is like the coach sent them out to win the preseason like that means something which if I am a cowboys fan I would find very concerning.
Kicking for goal just before half time was bizarre. Wouldn’t you have a crack at a set play or something?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Just worries me that we are pinning all our hopes in Reynolds. If he goes down with a decent injury, we are fucked. The whole squad needs to lift.
True but didn’t we know this before the trials?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Kicking for goal just before half time was bizarre. Wouldn’t you have a crack at a set play or something?
Exactly, I laughed out loud when they did that. Trials are about getting some game fitness, working on combos/giving young guys a shot and trying things you wouldn’t in the season.

With Fox turning these trials into in-season quality presentations it seems like teams like the Cowboys lost their minds.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

The broncos have played a number of great 20 minute bursts.

That's also why we've finished bottom four the last two years.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I think one thing is clear. We are far from being a cohesive unit that will win games that come down to tight arm wrestle type situations.

I know it's a trial, but it looks like the whole 'team' (and I use that word lightly) were just introduced to each other.

Our defence is still miles from where it needs to be - with or without Reynolds. He's there to steer the ship for sure but he won't be able to sort the lack of tackling technique or poor judgements made by individuals.

Did we really focus on defence during the pre-season? I think Kevvie is havvin a laugh if that's all we have to show for it.

Active Now

• barker
  • Justwin
  • JayTeeM
  • Manofoneway
  • Viti
  • Battler
  • Midean
  • mrslong
  • Swordfish
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BroncosAlways
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.