TRIAL 3: BRONCOS 6 v COWBOYS 26

SATURDAY FEB 26, 8PM (QLD TIME), 9PM (COCKROACH TIME): BRONCOS v COWBOYS. BB PRINT STADIUM, MACKAY

WEATHER

GUSTY STORM CLEARING. 23 DEGREES.

ScreenFMVl9reVcAA97uv

BRONCOS TEAM
1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Billy Walters
8. Pat Carrigan
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell ©
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Ryan James
15. Keenan Palasia
16. Jake Turpin
17. Rhys Kennedy
18. Corey Jensen
19. Tyson Gamble
20. TC Robati
21. David Mead
22. Ezra Mam
23. Brenko Lee
24. Jamayne Isaako

COWBOYS TEAM
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Peta Hiku
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Chad Townsend
8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
9. Reece Robson
10. Coen Hess
11. Heilum Luki
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Jake Granville
15. Jordan McLean
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Tom Gilbert
18. Brendan Elliot
19. Scott Drinkwater
20. Griffin Neame

Match will be telecast on Fox/Kayo.

Other matches in @theshed Cockroach time. Subtract an hour for QLD:

4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Biggest concern for me is that we are not winning the ruck........still.

In attack we are getting turned on our back in the tackle and its slowing the play the ball down and our attacking play is so slow and disjointed, we cant build any momentum.

In defense we are not turning the opposition on their back, our technique is poor, the opposition are either getting quick play the balls and then we are scrambling or we are being penalised.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Over trained my ass
Flog the **** outta these clowns Kev
Useless ***** can’t even beat the cowboys

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Biggest concern for me is that we are not winning the ruck........still.

In attack we are getting turned our back in the tackle and its slowing the play the ball down, we cant build any momentum.

In defense we are not turning the opposition on their back, our technique is poor, the opposition are either getting quick play the balls and then we are scrambling or we are being penalised.
We were more than dominating the ruck in the first 20. Haas, Carrigan and Hetherington were outstanding before they got tired. Kev needs to use the bench better. Reynolds would’ve taken advantage of that momentum. Flegler coming of the bench would be massive too.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Problem for mine is that it doesn't matter how fucking amazing ARey is, he's not fixing these problems.

He can't fix dick fingers. He can't fix missed tackles. He can't fix giving away penalties in the ruck.

It wouldn't even matter if our attack was bog average, we can't nail core fucking skills.
I think he will be able to fix a lot of things.

It won't be like JT where he has to kick, manage the game and be responsible for the points, whilst having basically no support.

Reynolds will be there to kick us to victory, something we dearly need... our forward pack have absolutely no problem getting the team into position, but whoever has been halfback for basically the last 3yrs has been unable to take advantage of the huge amount of field position they generate.

Reynolds is purpose built to work off the back of that kind of field position.

He also knows how to build pressure when we're inside the 20m... last year was a bit of an anomaly, because Souths scored so many tries he wasn't required to force drop outs, but the previous year he had 19 forced drop outs in 20 games (tied for 2nd in the league with Moses and only behind Cleary), and 2019 (pre-covid and 6 again) he had 25 in 22 games, which was 2nd behind James Maloney... with the penalties coming back we may be heading back to that sort of game again.

At the moment the forwards work is going unrewarded and when we get inside the 20m, it's basically one and done, because we can't get repeats and the spine gets flustered and look clunky in attack.

We don't get to spend any time putting pressure back on the opposition... Reynolds will change that.

Unfortunately whilst he will be getting support from the forwards and has strike in the centres and wing... he'll be getting two parts of **** all from the rest of his spine.

That's where Kevvie really needs to prove his wares... he needs to be able to find points in this team to take advantage of the field position that Reynolds and the forwards will be providing.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I guess there goes the Cobbo experiment at fullback. Early on I was kind of hyperventilating, as his ball-carrying (running style, shoulder posture) is actually vintage Hodges. But that's where the similarities ended. Zero ball-playing, no footwork and therefore no pressure on the opposition as the link man. No sniffing around the ruck or sweating on any half breaks. Obviously a lot of this is inexperience, but he can't learn that stuff quick enough for him to be useful in that position this season. At this point I'd be resigned to Isaako being there until Niu returns.

I really don't think we can drop Oates as his early-count runs get us off to a great start and even just his relieving hit-ups mid set are just as powerful as most of our forwards running. We know he can finish if given a sniff too. Right centre is locked up with Staggs. So that really leaves Cobbo, Farnworth and Pereira fighting over left centre and right wing.

I think if we want Cobbo as a fullback, he needs gametime in Qcup.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Judging from the reaction and criteria for how we will go this I'm guessing it's us vs penriff for the wooden spoon thus year everyone!

They had their half and fullback out too only remember so...................
No they didn’t though. They were missing Fish, Yeo and Martin. 2 origin players and a bloke who is second best at his position to Haas.
Listening to Reynolds talk post game I think Kelly could well be the front runner for the 6 jersey.
Walters played himself out of it for mine tonight. Gamble was better then last week but still nothing to make us go he’s our 6.
It’ll be interesting to see if they go Kelly 6 what that means for 9 & 14. Personally I’d go 9. Paix and 14. Walters.
I think Paix has certainly jumped Turpin and I think Walters would be good to have replace Paix or step into the halves if one of them went down.
The only positive I took out of tonight was Reynolds saying he’ll 100% be playing round 1.
We have got 4 great middle forwards in Haas, Carrigan, Flegler and Hetherington. I’d also say we got ourselves our 9 until Mozer is ready in Paix. We have a great pack Riki was pretty good with shit going pair shaped around him and Capewell I think we could find he does a bit better in the future not expecting it to be a permanent issue. We thankfully dropped handling errors in the wet from last week however defensive discipline is still bang average.

It goes to shit from there… 6 becomes a flip of the coin they will all shit the bed. Cobbo back to the outside backs. Don’t really want Oates in the side and Pereira didn’t play as shit as people have talked. He crosses the line after that Cobbo bat on and we may well have fucken flogged them. Just the way things go. Wouldn’t drop him because he came up with errors in the wet. He tried his fucken heart out and he still got metres so I’d have him over Oates at this stage.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
In the first half, Jensen got put on report and got penalised. Does anyone know what it was for?
I think it was because the refs have been told to watch hip drops and when Feldt got hurt the ref just assumed it was one and penalised the closest Broncos player.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Panthers got flogged by eels without Cleary, Bunnies lost to without Reynolds.

Alls not lost.

Reynolds and Alby will do a lot for this team as a halves pairing .

Said it earlier, but compared to a lot of the other sided in the trials, we look really unfit. Cant work it out.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
In the first half, Jensen got put on report and got penalised. Does anyone know what it was for?
Was it the tackle that the cowboys winger stayed down clutching at his knee if so it was likely th e hip drop tackle they been cracking down on

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Cobbo is at least 2 years away from being a NRL ready fullback.

I dont think you develop his game playing him center tbh. You either let him do it in Qcup or you persevere with his ups and downs in the role as an NRL player.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
No they didn’t though. They were missing Fish, Yeo and Martin. 2 origin players and a bloke who is second best at his position to Haas.

We have got 4 great middle forwards in Haas, Carrigan, Flegler and Hetherington. I’d also say we got ourselves our 9 until Mozer is ready in Paix. We have a great pack Riki was pretty good with shit going pair shaped around him and Capewell I think we could find he does a bit better in the future not expecting it to be a permanent issue. We thankfully dropped handling errors in the wet from last week however defensive discipline is still bang average.

It goes to shit from there… 6 becomes a flip of the coin they will all shit the bed. Cobbo back to the outside backs. Don’t really want Oates in the side and Pereira didn’t play as shit as people have talked. He crosses the line after that Cobbo bat on and we may well have fucken flogged them. Just the way things go. Wouldn’t drop him because he came up with errors in the wet. He tried his fucken heart out and he still got metres so I’d have him over Oates at this stage.
Really agree with this post.

on Capewell though, he’s always been super reliable…until he isnt. He has these brick games one in 10 but is extremely professional in between. He was the same at Penrith. Solid games then out of nowhere a shocker.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Kelly was always my pick to be the 6 until the titans trial where he just looked way off the pace, would have preferred to see him play tonight before getting a look in for rd1.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Kelly was always my pick to be the 6 until the titans trial where he just looked way off the pace, would have preferred to see him play tonight before getting a look in for rd1.
What day did they discover covid - possible he was fighting it at the time. (being way too optimistic here :P)

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I dont think you develop his game playing him center tbh. You either let him do it in Qcup or you persevere with his ups and downs in the role as an NRL player.
Yep it's a hard one... we need him in the NRL at wing or centre, but if we want him at 1 then he needs to be playing down in Qcup.

I thought his ball skills were actually solid in those first 15mins, so there is something there to work with... but he needs time in the position and full on coaching. I'm not sure how you go about it.

I'm pretty sure GI and Latrell played basically all their juniors at fullback... so the move to wing/centre was only a temporary measure

Unread

Active Now

• Galco
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Thelmus
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.