TRIAL 3: BRONCOS 6 v COWBOYS 26

SATURDAY FEB 26, 8PM (QLD TIME), 9PM (COCKROACH TIME): BRONCOS v COWBOYS. BB PRINT STADIUM, MACKAY

WEATHER

GUSTY STORM CLEARING. 23 DEGREES.

ScreenFMVl9reVcAA97uv

BRONCOS TEAM
1. Selwyn Cobbo
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Billy Walters
8. Pat Carrigan
9. Cory Paix
10. Payne Haas
11. Kurt Capewell ©
12. Jordan Riki
13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Ryan James
15. Keenan Palasia
16. Jake Turpin
17. Rhys Kennedy
18. Corey Jensen
19. Tyson Gamble
20. TC Robati
21. David Mead
22. Ezra Mam
23. Brenko Lee
24. Jamayne Isaako

COWBOYS TEAM
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Peta Hiku
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Chad Townsend
8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
9. Reece Robson
10. Coen Hess
11. Heilum Luki
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Jake Granville
15. Jordan McLean
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Tom Gilbert
18. Brendan Elliot
19. Scott Drinkwater
20. Griffin Neame

Match will be telecast on Fox/Kayo.

Other matches in @theshed Cockroach time. Subtract an hour for QLD:

4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Just came on here to see the meltdown of losing a pre-season game. Bring on round 1 the boys will be better.
They fucken better be. First 20 fucken amazing minus the missing points.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Problem for mine is that it doesn't matter how fucking amazing ARey is, he's not fixing these problems.

He can't fix dick fingers. He can't fix missed tackles. He can't fix giving away penalties in the ruck.

It wouldn't even matter if our attack was bog average, we can't nail core fucking skills.

I do believe he can fix moral, and energy/attitude - similar to what SBW brings to sides he joins.
The professionalism a player can bring has the potential to lift the team around him.

Still in saying that, there's so much shit to fix as you mentioned.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
ARey really hinting that Albert might be the preferred 5/8

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There was a stark difference in how the cowboys attacked and how we attacked. The cowboys were purposeful, they went to the line with players in motion, everyone knew which line they were running, Dearden had options etc. We went to the line one out just hoping something would happen, often no one knowing where the ball was going. Reynolds will make a big difference, but it wont be a panacea for all our problems.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I guess there goes the Cobbo experiment at fullback. Early on I was kind of hyperventilating, as his ball-carrying (running style, shoulder posture) is actually vintage Hodges. But that's where the similarities ended. Zero ball-playing, no footwork and therefore no pressure on the opposition as the link man. No sniffing around the ruck or sweating on any half breaks. Obviously a lot of this is inexperience, but he can't learn that stuff quick enough for him to be useful in that position this season. At this point I'd be resigned to Isaako being there until Niu returns.

I really don't think we can drop Oates as his early-count runs get us off to a great start and even just his relieving hit-ups mid set are just as powerful as most of our forwards running. We know he can finish if given a sniff too. Right centre is locked up with Staggs. So that really leaves Cobbo, Farnworth and Pereira fighting over left centre and right wing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So now the trials are complete here is my take, FWIW.

we need to find a back up 7. none of the guys going for the vacant 6 jersey are suited to the role (although Gamble comes close). any who played in that jersey during the trials shit the bed. surely there is a genuine 7 in the QLD cup we can put on our books in case we lose Reynolds.

we look clueless in attack in our opponents 20m zone, although much of that gets fixed once Reynolds gets into the side.

we looked lethargic as the match went on, although that can be explained by a heavy training load during the pre-season. that's not a problem, it's how athletes usually prepare, smash themselves then taper close to game time. it's time now for Kevvie to take the foot of the pedal and get them fresh for the season proper.

Kurt needs to learn he no longer plays for an NRL favourite. he will get scrutinised and pinged now he wears our jersey

Paix has to be our first choice 9. I was initially in favour of Mam playing some more in QLD cup, but now I'm leaning towards him being on the bench, Billy can move to hooker to give Paix a rest. I also wouldn't be against Billy being the fulltime utility on the bench and throwing Mam into the deep end at 6.

Cobbo isn't a fullback (at least not yet). IMO, he is best suited to the team in the centres. If Drinkwater misses starting selection for the Cowgirls, then I would immediately be on the phone to him and the Cowboys trying to get him down here to play fullback for us. because IMO, a backline the following would be quality:

1. Drinkwater
2. Pereira
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Farnworth

E

Evander

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2021
I guess there goes the Cobbo experiment at fullback. Early on I was kind of hyperventilating, as his ball-carrying (running style, shoulder posture) is actually vintage Hodges. But that's where the similarities ended. Zero ball-playing, no footwork and therefore no pressure on the opposition as the link man. No sniffing around the ruck or sweating on any half breaks. Obviously a lot of this is inexperience, but he can't learn that stuff quick enough for him to be useful in that position this season. At this point I'd be resigned to Isaako being there until Niu returns.

I really don't think we can drop Oates as his early-count runs get us off to a great start and even just his relieving hit-ups mid set are just as powerful as most of our forwards running. We know he can finish if given a sniff too. Right centre is locked up with Staggs. So that really leaves Cobbo, Farnworth and Pereira fighting over left centre and right wing.
Relax lol

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
3 trials done, and it doesn’t seem like we’re any closer to having an idea about who is going be in number 1 and 6 come round 1.

we may not ... but that doesn't mean the coaching staff don't know. reports are that they've settled on their 6 and the 1 was also settle except for a late injury

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Listening to Reynolds talk post game I think Kelly could well be the front runner for the 6 jersey.
Walters played himself out of it for mine tonight. Gamble was better then last week but still nothing to make us go he’s our 6.
It’ll be interesting to see if they go Kelly 6 what that means for 9 & 14. Personally I’d go 9. Paix and 14. Walters.
I think Paix has certainly jumped Turpin and I think Walters would be good to have replace Paix or step into the halves if one of them went down.
The only positive I took out of tonight was Reynolds saying he’ll 100% be playing round 1.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
People saying Reynolds won't change it, I am going to disagree just based on tonight, we were clearly on top early, then Capewell decided to have a sleep in the ruck, old mate kicks it to himself with no fullback in sight and it just snowballs after that

Reynolds wouldn't have handed them the ball back cheaply

Cobbo isn't ready at fullback, his communication wasn't there and neither was his positioning. Tonight just confirmed why Kevvie has been hiding him out there on the edge, he can still be a point of difference for us but he's not ready yet to be given the fullback role. You won't get away with it in the NRL

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
In the first half, Jensen got put on report and got penalised. Does anyone know what it was for?

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Battler
  • Thelmus
  • Alec
  • Allo
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.