Trials

The Broncos backline is full of experience a few debutants will do the side good..
No need to bring back an old hack to hold down a spot for a few weeks whilst injuries are in the sqaud IMO an injury is a perfect oppurtunity to blood youth

Jebadude said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Beads6 said:
DeVere is awesome he will nail down a first grade spot and watch our young and talented players waste away in QLD cup awesome I can't wait.

Me either!!!! I will particularly enjoy watching him dive like a soccer player before he gets to the defensive line. He hasn't played NRL since the refs yell "SURRENDER" he will be king of it!

You love soccer!!

Your point is?

I love a sport yet can see a flaw/issue within the game, I am amazing I know.

Beads6 said:
The Broncos backline is full of experience a few debutants will do the side good..
No need to bring back an old hack to hold down a spot for a few weeks whilst injuries are in the sqaud IMO an injury is a perfect oppurtunity to blood youth

Full of experience?

So if Mick doesn't play in Round One we'll have three debutants, one bloke who's playing his first proper game for the club with massive expectations on his shoulders and Hunt at fullback. Very inexperienced if you ask me.

And it's not as if our backline consists entirely of old farts. There'll be some youth there, even with de Vere in the team.

We have had experience for years lets start fresh for a change instead of ringing in mediocre footballers with a bit of experience.

Great to see you guys are consistent, Hammo criticising a guy who he hasn't seen play for 2 or 3 years based on what he use to do, criticism of his age when he is actually the same age as Locky which would mean we should start the Locky is too old bandwagon bring in McCullough or Ben Hunt. Love it guys nothin' changes and you haven't even seen him play.

The guy is the ultimate professional, he will be close to if not the fittest in the club, he has plenty of experience as opposed to all bar Locky in the backline, and for mine he was and hopefully still is one of the best defensive backs in the game. I will wait to see him play and then judge whether he is worthy, but mark my word he will be in the round 1 side and he will be needed for his experience and I look forward to welcoming him back.

I like having him at the club in a coaching role as he is a pro and well respected etc. I just think when you consider just how little he offers in attack he isn't an option I would like the team to take.

Out of interest how can a mediocre player past and present all of the sudden be a pro in a coaching role?

Yea I saw the game, It was quite the spectacle. I thought we would get beaten by a lot more than that. So Devere was solid (no one word has ever epitomized him better), whoever said he would be fit was dead-on, he was extremely fit, especially for someone who hasn't played first grade for years(?).
Kenny was good, Clinton was o.k, actually they held their own quite well. Locky was pretty average, but my god, it was worth the 25$ just to watch him throw those cut-out passes alone, he will be infinitely better for the run. Wallace looked great. Didn't notice to much else, except Izzy is massive , god I hope he stays fit. Inglis has gotten huge too, looks like a wild-man, and our young outside backs look pretty damn good.

Russo said:
Great to see you guys are consistent, Hammo criticising a guy who he hasn't seen play for 2 or 3 years based on what he use to do, criticism of his age when he is actually the same age as Locky which would mean we should start the Locky is too old bandwagon bring in McCullough or Ben Hunt. Love it guys nothin' changes and you haven't even seen him play.

The guy is the ultimate professional, he will be close to if not the fittest in the club, he has plenty of experience as opposed to all bar Locky in the backline, and for mine he was and hopefully still is one of the best defensive backs in the game. I will wait to see him play and then judge whether he is worthy, but mark my word he will be in the round 1 side and he will be needed for his experience and I look forward to welcoming him back.

Russo, I think you are very confused!

Since the day it was announced he has returning as a coach, and then the day it was announced he was actually playing, I have been one of, if not the most vocal, supporter of DeVere!

I'm all for him, it's these young, uneducated pups named Beads6, FCB (although FCB could very well be taking the piss) and their ilk who don't understand the role he will play this coming season!

I myself am very aware of what De Vere can and does offer to opur club and I believe I was the first to bring up the fact that he was indeed not "old" in the context of other players in the game. [icon_confu

Beads6 said:

Really? Hodges and Michaels likely to miss the start of the season. Beale, Yow Yeh likely to be on the wings, total NRL rookies. So you'd want an NRL rookie in the centres too?

With the calibre of players unavailable I think Henjak is more than justified in selecting De Vere in the centres.

Hammo I must apologise, my comments were aimed at FCB not you but he has your friggin moniker on his avatar and that confused me :oops:
I assume you gave him permission to use such image otherwise we might have to give him a ban for breaching your image copyright [icon_wink

Russo said:
Hammo I must apologise, my comments were aimed at FCB not you but he has your friggin moniker on his avatar and that confused me :oops:
I assume you gave him permission to use such image otherwise we might have to give him a ban for breaching your image copyright [icon_wink

Any excuse [icon_pray.

I think FCB needs a few day rest to contemplate how the brown colour on his nose, could in fact be particles of Coxy...

Well said Rock.

De Vere is really no different to Darius Boyd. Not as fast now (though was in his hey day), but similar style of game. Dependable, does his job, knows where to be. He won't bust 6 tackles and score a try or run the length of the field from a kick return, but he's a reliable member of the backline. Very adequate fill in when injuries or Origin come along.

Coxy said:
Well said Rock.

De Vere is really no different to Darius Boyd. Not as fast now (though was in his hey day), but similar style of game. Dependable, does his job, knows where to be. He won't bust 6 tackles and score a try or run the length of the field from a kick return, but he's a reliable member of the backline. Very adequate fill in when injuries or Origin come along.

However De Vere is 3 times the defensive player Darius is.

Boyd makes it to the defense before going to ground De Vere doesn't that is the only difference. I do get what people are saying and I accept he has positives to his attacking game however, I have and always will disliked the way he concedes before the defensive line every single time he has the ball and isn't in the "set play or defense on the backfoot" frame of mind.

Exactly Rock.

And most players have some flaws in their game too but I think that de Vere's positives far outweigh his negatives.

I think the slight value his surrender did have (quicker play the balls) will be lost now with the way your allowed to flop on the player and stay there if they do indeed "surrender". But hey if he gets the guys outside him the ball and tackles the house down I am not going to begrudge him his spot I am just a little disappointed a new coaching regime has bought back an old head that I never was too fussed on.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.