Triple M reports David Shillington to Broncos

The club has already made pretty clear that they are on the market for a playmaker. Shillo and Tasi aren't gonna change that imo. I'm sure we have a fair amount of space under the cap, and we'll probably be releasing players in 2014 too.

The club has already made pretty clear that they are on the market for a playmaker. Shillo and Tasi aren't gonna change that imo. I'm sure we have a fair amount of space under the cap, and we'll probably be releasing players in 2014 too.

Can't argue with that logic, as long as the cash is there just in case ...

There are no available worthy fullbacks or halfbacks on the market at the moment. Continuously whining about it is not gonna change that! :001_rolleyes:

As for Shillo, as long as he isn't on a marquee player type of contract, it's definitely worth the shot to bring size and depth to the front row, and return Thaiday to the second row.
At 30, he will definitely still have 2 or 3 years of good service, and hopefully he will bring more sledgehammer than pillow to his runs...

Shillington isn't off contract. Sounds like Raiders want to offload him and he wants to go back to Brisbane. Kevin Locke is on the market and at the very least worth a look. Just because there isn't a halfback off contract it doesn't mean we don't need one or aren't a chance of snaring one if we try hard enough.

Great signing if true IMO. Just the type of prop we need. McGuire & Hannant are in the same mould, we need a Tamou, Bromwich, tall smashy prop. Injuries are a concern, but also means he may have 3-4 years left, meaning the 2 that we sign him for should still be quality.

Shillington isn't off contract. Sounds like Raiders want to offload him and he wants to go back to Brisbane. Kevin Locke is on the market and at the very least worth a look. Just because there isn't a halfback off contract it doesn't mean we don't need one or aren't a chance of snaring one if we try hard enough.
Let's not forget Shillington is at this stage, nothing but a Triple M rumour.

And the Broncos did say they are on the market for a playmaker, didn't they? What makes you think they're not looking at what options are available?
They certainly took advantage of Lama Tasi situation at the Roosters!

I can certainly see them doing the same thing with a Cornish or Milford at the Raiders, or SJ/Locke at the Warriors, although he isn't what we need imo. His defense positioning and starch is pretty crap. His aerial game is nothing to speak of, and although people say he has a ball playing game, I haven't seen it nor a kicking game for that matter.
I mean, Hoffman even took his FB spot in the NZ team, and most of us don't want Hoffman at fullback because of what his shortcomings in the playmaking area...

Maybe they have told the raiders they want to sign 'David Shillington' and are going to present the raiders with a release form for 'David Shillington' and as soon as the sign it Gee will rip off the top sheet to reveal that they have actually signed the release form for Anthony Milford

Get real broncos4life

As if Gee & co would have the brain power to think of that. :tongue_smilie:

Great signing if true IMO. Just the type of prop we need. McGuire & Hannant are in the same mould, we need a Tamou, Bromwich, tall smashy prop. Injuries are a concern, but also means he may have 3-4 years left, meaning the 2 that we sign him for should still be quality.

Yes we sure do.......which is why I can't understand why we'd be signing Shillington.

Get real broncos4life

As if Gee & co would have the brain power to think of that. :tongue_smilie:

Very true Kaz, was giving him far too much credit in hindsight

Don't understand all the jizz about Dave Shillington he isn't a bad player but I don't think he is anything special. He plays strongly and puts in a lot of work so he is a player that is good to have on your team but we already have forwards like that anyway.

No matter how many times I watch him I don't rate him any differently.

He's a good player, made close to 200 metres in a losing side this week, and props (unlike other players) tend to peak in their late 20s through to early 30s.
If he comes relatively cheaply and doesn't force McGuire out, it's a great signing. We rarely seem to get Hannant and McGuire in the team at the same time these days, it seems like it's either one injured or suspended, or the other.

On the other hand, if it's decent chunk of our salary, I feel like it's a bit of a waste. I'd rather they use that extra money to do everything possible to lure DCE or something, and hope he really gets homesick.

Agreed, but can you see Griffin dropping Gillet/Glenn/Parker to the bench? I don't. Shillo will probably play off the bench.

How does Hook have any relevance on any discussions for next season? When the Broncos miss the playoffs, he will be fired, that is a certainty. If it were up to me, he would be sacked tonite and I would have Kearney guide them for the rest of the year. It might even spark something unimaginable. Why keep a guy around who can't even get his head around the interchange bench? He has won 7 of the past 24 games, the Broncos are dead last in that time frame. I could not even fathom him surviving past this year, won't happen, so discussing his influence on Shillo next year is pointless. Why is he still here???

It would be pretty funny if we had Thaiday in the front row while Shillo, McGuire and Tasi/Hala are on the bench.

How does Hook have any relevance on any discussions for next season? When the Broncos miss the playoffs, he will be fired, that is a certainty. If it were up to me, he would be sacked tonite and I would have Kearney guide them for the rest of the year. It might even spark something unimaginable. Why keep a guy around who can't even get his head around the interchange bench? He has won 7 of the past 24 games, the Broncos are dead last in that time frame. I could not even fathom him surviving past this year, won't happen, so discussing his influence on Shillo next year is pointless. Why is he still here???

Firstly you don't know that we will miss the finals and you don't know either way if hook will get fired so stop condemning people's opinion because you think your the only one on this forum that knows anything.

Your whole post loses credibility when you say "if it were up to me I would sack him tonight and put Kearney in charge" you can't be serious

You're losing me ........

Can see some benefits. Experienced Shillo and rookie Lama Tasi, combined with McGuire and Hannant...pretty good blend of experience, youth and aggression.

But we do need to address the attacking cattle to take advantage of the go forward.

Can see some benefits. Experienced Shillo and rookie Lama Tasi, combined with McGuire and Hannant...pretty good blend of experience, youth and aggression.

But we do need to address the attacking cattle to take advantage of the go forward.

I agree completely. I think the fact that we are missing a quality half/fullback is all the more reason we need to get shillington or another big prop. Yes, ultimately a great half or fullback is what we need but that simply is not available for next year. For mine the smart thing to do is focus on getting whats available and that is a big man or two. A forward pack of Hannant, McGuire, Hala, Tasa, Shillo would get us down the park no worries and even with a dragon-esque attack if you keep getting in their red zone you will eventually score points. We may not win a premiership with just a fierce forward pack, but by adding a great playmaker behind this pack in 2015 and I think we are major contenders

Firstly you don't know that we will miss the finals and you don't know either way if hook will get fired so stop condemning people's opinion because you think your the only one on this forum that knows anything.

Your whole post loses credibility when you say "if it were up to me I would sack him tonight and put Kearney in charge" you can't be serious

Totally disagree, there are many others on here who have
a vast knowledge of the game, u r not one of them though

That statement tosses whatever credibility you had out the window

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • Splinter
  • kman
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.