Triple M reports David Shillington to Broncos

With the increase in cap I would guess we have somewhere between one and two mil spare. I would suspect hannant thaiday parker and Hodges would be under 450k, bone have resigned since cap rise and all seem loyal to the broncos. Wal was 3 or 3.5 and I think that was compartively expensive. When you look at teams such as the cowboys being able to afford roughly mil for Thurston and the roosters a mill for sbw and over half a mil for Jennings etc. We should have well over a mil. Therfore we could likely afford something like c smith, Barba and shillington. There are no halves on the market to upgrade Wallace to so I think those are our best options and would make us a premiership threat by covering up or fixing pretty much all our weaknesses.

You would expect him to be a while off being dominant.

Agreed, but like many talented stars,e.g. Lockyer, they started off the bench at 18 or 19 in their first year of NRL.

All things being equal (which they often aren't) I'd like to see him in trials next year and consider him on form for a bench spot middle-late next year.

The Macca-Hunt arrangement is for mine an abject failure and should be ditched asap.

Last edited:
Chris Garry just tweeted that Shillingtons management contacted the Broncos but we aren't interested. Apparently Shillo wants out of Raiders big time

I assume it's because he's asking for too much. I'm glad.

Chris Garry just tweeted that Shillingtons management contacted the Broncos but we aren't interested. Apparently Shillo wants out of Raiders big time
Well I have to give Gee credit here, I also agree with Alec that it's probably because he's asking too much.

Fair enough I say, signing him may take away some money we could use to lure Barba, or re-sign some of our good younger players, not worth it.

honestly i'd hate to sign a mid range prop and have it hurt hala's opportunity to really develop. thats assuming tasi becomes a first grade regular, which you'd have to think will happen since its the reason he said he left the roosters.

mcguire + hannant + hala + tasi is pretty good prop rotation if the latter two develop. halas improving

honestly i'd hate to sign a mid range prop and have it hurt hala's opportunity to really develop. thats assuming tasi becomes a first grade regular, which you'd have to think will happen since its the reason he said he left the roosters.

mcguire + hannant + hala + tasi is pretty good prop rotation if the latter two develop. halas improving
+ Wallace and Molo.

Ofahengaue is the player I'm most looking forward to coming through.

Molo is a damn good 'un too.

Ofahengaue is the player I'm most looking forward to coming through.

Molo is a damn good 'un too.
Gotta agree about Ofahengaue BP. He looks the goods and probably the youngest in the team as well. I do wish more backs were standing up to get noticed though

As suspected I did not want that signing because I had a feeling he'd be on more than he's worth, I'm happy the club has blown it off.
Shillo is simply not worth 500k, if the Raiders pay half his wage though I'd definitely be interested.

Did anyone read this? ​Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Fuming Test prop to abandon Raiders

IT now appears all but certain Test prop David Shillington will part ways with the Canberra Raiders in spring after the uneasy relationship between the former club captain and key members of the Raiders' administration and coaching staff collapsed this week

In an odd turn of events, reformed Newcastle forward Willie Mason appears to have been the catalyst for Shillington to make the first decisive move, stepping down as a member of the Raiders' leadership group.
Mason has been outspoken in his criticism of what he describes as the self-centred attitude of some of the game's young stars -- mostly referring to former Raider Josh Dugan and his good friend Blake Ferguson.
Speaking ahead of Ferguson's return to club duties next week, Mason suggested questions needed to be asked about the Raiders' culture and leadership.
Mason said it fell to the leaders at the Raiders to explain why the likes of Dugan, Ferguson and previously Todd Carney simply refused to adhere to even the most basic behavioural standards.
Mason singled out Shillington as one of the players who needed to take a tougher line with those players who fail to meet the expectations required.
While Shillington refused to discuss what he described as "in-house matters", it is believed Mason's raw comments stung him. Shillington was reportedly furious his leadership had been brought into question given he had led a group of senior Canberra players into several meetings with coach David Furner and members of the Raiders' front office, demanding sterner action be taken in dealing with the wayward pair.
Friends with Mason since their days as teammates at the Roosters, Shillington is believed to have contacted him, keen to clarify the perception others have of what has been happening in Canberra.
Despite claims to the contrary, The Weekend Australian has learned the Brisbane Broncos are interested in securing Shillington's services next season -- provided he comes at the right price.

I thought at the time during the week that Mason's comments would fire somebody up down at Canberra.

It's rare for current players to have such a direct shot at another club in full view of the public........

If Shillington wants to find another club, then he is more than likely going to have to cut his 500k a season price tag in half

Meh don't really want now anyway. Not because of this, but after last night's forward performance, and knowing what Parker, Thaiday and Hannant bring to the table in addition to that, I firmly believe our pack is good enough, thanks to the addition of Lama Tasi and the new benchmark Josh McGuire set for himself.

Put our cash towards a half and fullback.

Meh don't really want now anyway. Not because of this, but after last night's forward performance, and knowing what Parker, Thaiday and Hannant bring to the table in addition to that, I firmly believe our pack is good enough, thanks to the addition of Lama Tasi and the new benchmark Josh McGuire set for himself.

Put our cash towards a half and fullback.

Agree totally.

Active Now

• Bronco bob
  • Aldo
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.