SATIRE Turpin: I Want To Be A Bronco For Life

RETRACTION: the following contains a misprint.

Excitement machine Jake Turpin says he wants to be a Brisbane Bronco for life, and is 100% dedicated to the club. The tireless former captain – who turns 25 in November as the Broncos play the Warriors at Moreton Daily Stadium, Redcliffe tomorrow – is the latest emerging talent to express his commitment to Brisbane, joining halfback Adam Reynolds and centre Kotoni Staggs.

“I want to be a Bronco for life. My main thought is I don’t want to leave this club. I’m happy at the Broncos and Kevvie has been really welcoming. I want to help turn this club around. My immediate focus is playing good football. But I‘m 100 per cent dedicated to the Broncos."​
BHQ Best Round one
Fan favourite

“We have come back fresh and started with new staff. It feels like a new club, there is a family feel and Kevvie is a family-orientated bloke. He is getting the camaraderie going again and bringing back past players to have chats with us. There is a huge history of the club and Kevvie is teaching us when we put on that Broncos jersey, you represent the past, the present and all the people of Queensland."​

“It all starts again tomorrow afternoon I can’t wait to get back out there, we want to make amends for the Broncos fans and show them we care about the jumper.”​

Tomorrow afternoon's Round 4 clash with the Warriors will be the first time that members and fans will get a chance to see many of the current Broncos team play at their future home ground.

McHunt

It would be interesting to see how those players stack up with the rest of the competition. I'm sure there are clubs that had better quality spine players come through but the Broncos would have to be right up there with consistently developing professional football spine players.

To me it suggests they're picking a lot of the best juniors but they're struggling with that transition from colts to NRL.
People don't like it admitted, but Bennett is not a great coach in developing spine players. The only two he can really take credit for are Lockyer & Hunt and possibly Boyd also. There have been a string of players that have come through the Broncos system under Bennett and not made the grade. Walker, Seymour, etc that didn't kick on under Bennett.

Bennett is a fantastic coach of forwards and outside backs, but he relies on experience in his spine, which he usually recruits, but rarely develops. Langer, Walters, Soward, Reynolds were all developed under other coaches.

We've been a hot mess since Bennett left and haven't had any stability to truly develop these players. If Kevvie doesn't succeed then we need a coach that can effectively develop our nursery.

Gray has been impressive this year in MM. He's thriving with long direct ball from Mozer. Even Souths last game where I thought they were lucky to win he looked the most threatening. He's where Mam was 12 months ago so interesting to see what they do next.

I haven't had a chance to see Gray play yet, what sort of player is he?

Really good footwork and pass- plays on the left and has been really good for Mapgies this season. Had a disrupted season last year but has come back well.

Thanks mate. Hopefully he can stay injury free and continue to develop.

What do you think is his best position in the long term?

People don't like it admitted, but Bennett is not a great coach in developing spine players. The only two he can really take credit for are Lockyer & Hunt and possibly Boyd also. There have been a string of players that have come through the Broncos system under Bennett and not made the grade. Walker, Seymour, etc that didn't kick on under Bennett.

Bennett is a fantastic coach of forwards and outside backs, but he relies on experience in his spine, which he usually recruits, but rarely develops. Langer, Walters, Soward, Reynolds were all developed under other coaches.

We've been a hot mess since Bennett left and haven't had any stability to truly develop these players. If Kevvie doesn't succeed then we need a coach that can effectively develop our nursery.

Alf and Kevvie played under Bennett long before the Broncos and they certainly improved dramatically under Bennett. Alf was in Bennett's Qld U18 team trial in 1984- broke his ankle. Bennett tried to get him to Souths too.

Alf played 33 games for the Jets and 258 club games under Bennett at Brisbane. He was hardly the finished product at Ipswich. Bennett took Kevvie to the Raiders in 1987 too and he won Raiders rookie of the year.

Alf's first six Origins were under Bennett too.

Kerrod Walters turned into a Test and Origin player under Bennett too after playing Reserve grade in 88.

Alf and Kevvie played under Bennett long before the Broncos and they certainly improved dramatically under Bennett. Alf was in Bennett's Qld U18 team trial in 1984- broke his ankle. Bennett tried to get him to Souths too.

Alf played 33 games for the Jets and 258 club games under Bennett at Brisbane. He was hardly the finished product at Ipswich. Bennett took Kevvie to the Raiders in 1987 too and he won Raiders rookie of the year.

Alf's first six Origins were under Bennett too.

If you were to choose assistants (you know more than most of us), who would go with Kevvie?

If you were to choose assistants (you know more than most of us), who would go with Kevvie?

Assistants are hard to pick- the best assistants don't have a desire to be a coach it's like vice captain. Geoff Marsh was a great VC because he loved Border and would go to war for him but he didn't want his job. Clarke was a rubbish VC because he wanted Ponting's job- when you want their job you let them make mistakes and let things slide.

Doesn't really answer your question- except to say you need to know the person to say if they'd be a good assistant.

Assistants are hard to pick- the best assistants don't have a desire to be a coach it's like vice captain. Geoff Marsh was a great VC because he loved Border and would go to war for him but he didn't want his job. Clarke was a rubbish VC because he wanted Ponting's job- when you want their job you let them make mistakes and let things slide.

Doesn't really answer your question- except to say you need to know the person to say if they'd be a good assistant.

I think those are fair points but I guess in this instance, having someone who is sort of ambitious to take over from Kevvie, that might actually be good. Or do you think it further destabilise the club?

Michael Hagan, Cameron Ciraldo, Jason Ryles, Justin Hodges, Dean Young, Cameron Smith, Brad Thorn, Neil Henry would all add a lot to this team. 4 of them could step up as the head coach if Walters doesn't work out as well. A bloke like Ciraldo could almost be guaranteed the job eventually at this point, whereas behind Cleary he won't be getting it any time soon.

Ben Walker to come in two days a week to offer some creativity.

Coach- Kevin Walters
Assistant- Cameron Ciraldo
Assistant- Michael Hagan
Assistant- Neil Henry

Part time- Ben Walker, Justin Hodges

Good read mate, another spine player that was left out was Carlin Anderson
There's a few players like Carlin who started their professional careers with the Broncos but didn't come through their pathways system. Zach Strasser is another who came through the Dolphins, earned an NRL contract but ultimately didn't kick on.

I think those are fair points but I guess in this instance, having someone who is sort of ambitious to take over from Kevvie, that might actually be good. Or do you think it further destabilise the club?

I think you can still be ambitious I am sure that Fitzy always wanted to be a head coach but he didn't actively seek it out at all costs.

Unread

Active Now

• UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • The Boss
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.