SATIRE Turpin: I Want To Be A Bronco For Life

RETRACTION: the following contains a misprint.

Excitement machine Jake Turpin says he wants to be a Brisbane Bronco for life, and is 100% dedicated to the club. The tireless former captain – who turns 25 in November as the Broncos play the Warriors at Moreton Daily Stadium, Redcliffe tomorrow – is the latest emerging talent to express his commitment to Brisbane, joining halfback Adam Reynolds and centre Kotoni Staggs.

“I want to be a Bronco for life. My main thought is I don’t want to leave this club. I’m happy at the Broncos and Kevvie has been really welcoming. I want to help turn this club around. My immediate focus is playing good football. But I‘m 100 per cent dedicated to the Broncos."​
BHQ Best Round one
Fan favourite

“We have come back fresh and started with new staff. It feels like a new club, there is a family feel and Kevvie is a family-orientated bloke. He is getting the camaraderie going again and bringing back past players to have chats with us. There is a huge history of the club and Kevvie is teaching us when we put on that Broncos jersey, you represent the past, the present and all the people of Queensland."​

“It all starts again tomorrow afternoon I can’t wait to get back out there, we want to make amends for the Broncos fans and show them we care about the jumper.”​

Tomorrow afternoon's Round 4 clash with the Warriors will be the first time that members and fans will get a chance to see many of the current Broncos team play at their future home ground.

McHunt

How does it make us look if we have to grovel too him and pay overs just to get him back? 😂
We won't have to ... just hand him a ticket to NZ (or let the Dolphins pay massive overs, when they start panicking after missing Ponga).

i also maintain we don't (or at least shouldn't) want him back unless his attitude has significantly changed ... and personally i'm yet to see evidence of that given his drugs issues at the end of last season

Is Khunt literally the last legit star spine player we unearthed??
I've been thinking about all the different spine combinations that have come through all the years.

So pre-NYC it was...
1. Rod Davies 6. Joel Moon 7. Jacob Fauid 9. Nathan Strudwick

Moon was supposed to be a gun and had his development fast-tracked in first grade but never really kicked on and left the club at 20. Davies went over to Rugby and was always more of a winger regardless. Fauid was a skillful enough player but QCup was his ceiling where he won a premiership and Struddy just seemingly gave up the game to focus on his career.

NYC 2008
1. Josh Hoffman/Gerard Beale 6. Jared Kahu 7. Ben Hunt 9. Andrew McCullough

Beale was supposed to be the second coming but suffered so many early set-backs that he lost his pace. Macca was highly rated as a footy player but came in as a utility 13 who could play 6. Hook turned him into a hooker and he was fast-tracked into first grade not long after. Hunt was the Australian Schoolboys captain, rated but really shocked everyone when he won the NYC player of the year. Hoffman was passed over by the Broncos until Hook brought him over from Reddy. He had a stand-out year and earned himself an NRL deal off the back of it. I think Hoffman gets this reputation for being entitled when if anything he just over-achieved. Jared was Jordan's older brother who was handy enough player and actually earned a pre-season with the Cowboys before giving the game away.

NYC 2010
1. Dane Gagai/Jordan Kahu 6. Corey Norman 7. Louis Frisby 9. Kurt Baptiste

The Wests Tigers were absolutely filthy when the Broncos poached Kahu. He had some huge raps on him coming through but he fell victim to his own versatility and really struggled to nail down a position at the club. They had him play 6, centre and wing but it really wasn't until the end of the season he started to show signs of class including a remarkable comeback win against the Raiders. He never really got a shot at 1 with Dane there who was a great talent but struggled positionally.

You all got to watch Norman's career play out and that's exactly what he was like in NYC. Capable of some huge plays but didn't quite have that athleticism to reach the next level nor did he have that competitive edge.

Baptiste I always had a rap on but I think he developed a reputation as a run first dummy half which wasn't in vogue in the NRL. Brisbane decided that Macca/Hunt was going to be their hooking combination going forward and the writing was well and truly on the wall when Capewell became the 14.

Frisby was a solid enough NYC half but he was never really spoken of for first grade.

NYC 2012
1. Lachlan Maranta 6. Kodi Nikorima/Bryce Hegarty 7. Louis Frisby/Cameron Cullen 9. Chris Binge

Maranta had a similar issue as Kahu where he came into the team and had to play wing to compensate for Gagai. Maranta was one of the stand-out fullbacks coming through, positionally he struggled on the wing and the few chances he got at 1 he looked like a completely different player. I think ultimately he didn't quite have the speed or skill to be an elite fullback but he probably should have got more of a shot there to build his confidence.

Hegarty was supposed to be this great talent and Renouf would constantly talk him up. I think he showed flashes, particularly in U/18s but he didn't really impress in 20s before he went to Rugby. Frisby was still leading the team around with Cullen struggling to break in. Cullen was the Australian Schoolboys half but just didn't quite have the skill-set required.

Binge was a good footy player but I just don't think he had the discipline required to make it in the NRL. He got another opportunity at the Dogs but failed to impress.

NYC 2014
1. Kodi Nikorima/Paul Byrnes 6. Duncan Paia'aua 7. Ash Taylor 9. Jayden Berrell/Jayden Nikorima

For mine one of the Broncos better spines coming through but we're all familiar with what happened. Paia'aua is a forgotten man, he ended up in Rugby but I remember him being really up and down for them which was true to his NYC form.

Berrell was a stand-out #9 but it seemed like a weak field and he didn't really quite have the skill-set to stand-out. Credit to him, he's stuck around and he's got an opportunity at the Sharks after a good year for the Seagulls.

I still wonder how Taylor's career would have ended up had he joined Brisbane in 2018 on a reasonable contract. The Titans were falling apart and he was expected to be a leader well before he was ready.

NYC 2016-17
1. Corey Allan/Elijah Alick 6. Will Brimson/Jamayne Isaako 7. Gerome Burns 9. Kalolo Saitaua

This was a rebuild year after a lot of mainstays graduated. Brimson is the older brother of AJ, he was a decent runner of the ball but one of those five-eighths who would likely wind up in the backrow if he played NRL.

Burns was an exciting eyes up footy player who got lost in the shuffle once the 20s ended. I don't think he was in our system that long but I think his footy really regressed once 20s finished up.

Saitaua is one of those players I'm surprised hasn't received that Brandon Smith type deal. A shocking dummy half who refused to pass it, but a really effective runner. Had some errors in his game but it seemed like the game really started to play to his strengths.

Allan has some aspects of his game that are absolutely class but his general play was just always lacking. We also had the next GI in Alick but he just kept suffering injuries. We gave him a pre-season when Bennett arrived but it wasn't long before he suffered another season ender and that was his career.

Under 20s 2018
1. Corey Allan 6. Gerome Burns 7. Cory Paix/Tanah Boyd 9. Kobe Hetherington

The Post-NYC years are difficult to track but this was my best guess at our spine. Allan was still with the Broncos but signed with Souths which essentially stalled his career otherwise he would have played NRL sooner. Paix/Boyd were impressive coming through but Boyd saw his future blocked at the Broncos and went to the Titans who signed him just to have him really. His game seemingly peaked in 2018. Kobe was a good talent, but his work around the ruck wasn't the best, the shift to 13 was a smart move and thankfully the modern game compensated for it.

Under 20s 2020
1. Tesi Niu 6. Tom Dearden 7. Josh James 9. Cory Paix

Birth by fire.

Under 20s 2022
1. Selywn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Harrdyn Wilson 9. Blake Mozer

At a guess? That's something that I'm worried about at the moment, the Broncos don't really have a squad for the best U/21s so it's feast or famine on a couple of players.

The TL;DR is that the Broncos have had plenty of talent come through, some of which should have enjoyed more success in the NRL but failed for one reason or another. The other is that they don't recruit enough which is where a team like the Roosters and Melbourne have enjoyed their success.

I've been thinking about all the different spine combinations that have come through all the years.

So pre-NYC it was...

Moon was supposed to be a gun and had his development fast-tracked in first grade but never really kicked on and left the club at 20. Davies went over to Rugby and was always more of a winger regardless. Fauid was a skillful enough player but QCup was his ceiling where he won a premiership and Struddy just seemingly gave up the game to focus on his career.

NYC 2008

Beale was supposed to be the second coming but suffered so many early set-backs that he lost his pace. Macca was highly rated as a footy player but came in as a utility 13 who could play 6. Hook turned him into a hooker and he was fast-tracked into first grade not long after. Hunt was the Australian Schoolboys captain, rated but really shocked everyone when he won the NYC player of the year. Hoffman was passed over by the Broncos until Hook brought him over from Reddy. He had a stand-out year and earned himself an NRL deal off the back of it. I think Hoffman gets this reputation for being entitled when if anything he just over-achieved. Jared was Jordan's older brother who was handy enough player and actually earned a pre-season with the Cowboys before giving the game away.

NYC 2010

The Wests Tigers were absolutely filthy when the Broncos poached Kahu. He had some huge raps on him coming through but he fell victim to his own versatility and really struggled to nail down a position at the club. They had him play 6, centre and wing but it really wasn't until the end of the season he started to show signs of class including a remarkable comeback win against the Raiders. He never really got a shot at 1 with Dane there who was a great talent but struggled positionally.

You all got to watch Norman's career play out and that's exactly what he was like in NYC. Capable of some huge plays but didn't quite have that athleticism to reach the next level nor did he have that competitive edge.

Baptiste I always had a rap on but I think he developed a reputation as a run first dummy half which wasn't in vogue in the NRL. Brisbane decided that Macca/Hunt was going to be their hooking combination going forward and the writing was well and truly on the wall when Capewell became the 14.

Frisby was a solid enough NYC half but he was never really spoken of for first grade.

NYC 2012
1. Lachlan Maranta 6. Kodi Nikorima/Bryce Hegarty 7. Louis Frisby/Cameron Cullen 9. Chris Binge

Maranta had a similar issue as Kahu where he came into the team and had to play wing to compensate for Gagai. Maranta was one of the stand-out fullbacks coming through, positionally he struggled on the wing and the few chances he got at 1 he looked like a completely different player. I think ultimately he didn't quite have the speed or skill to be an elite fullback but he probably should have got more of a shot there to build his confidence.

Hegarty was supposed to be this great talent and Renouf would constantly talk him up. I think he showed flashes, particularly in U/18s but he didn't really impress in 20s before he went to Rugby. Frisby was still leading the team around with Cullen struggling to break in. Cullen was the Australian Schoolboys half but just didn't quite have the skill-set required.

Binge was a good footy player but I just don't think he had the discipline required to make it in the NRL. He got another opportunity at the Dogs but failed to impress.

NYC 2014
1. Kodi Nikorima/Paul Byrnes 6. Duncan Paia'aua 7. Ash Taylor 9. Jayden Berrell/Jayden Nikorima

For mine one of the Broncos better spines coming through but we're all familiar with what happened. Paia'aua is a forgotten man, he ended up in Rugby but I remember him being really up and down for them which was true to his NYC form.

Berrell was a stand-out #9 but it seemed like a weak field and he didn't really quite have the skill-set to stand-out. Credit to him, he's stuck around and he's got an opportunity at the Sharks after a good year for the Seagulls.

I still wonder how Taylor's career would have ended up had he joined Brisbane in 2018 on a reasonable contract. The Titans were falling apart and he was expected to be a leader well before he was ready.

NYC 2016-17
1. Corey Allan/Elijah Alick 6. Will Brimson/Jamayne Isaako 7. Gerome Burns 9. Kalolo Saitaua

This was a rebuild year after a lot of mainstays graduated. Brimson is the older brother of AJ, he was a decent runner of the ball but one of those five-eighths who would likely wind up in the backrow if he played NRL.

Burns was an exciting eyes up footy player who got lost in the shuffle once the 20s ended. I don't think he was in our system that long but I think his footy really regressed once 20s finished up.

Saitaua is one of those players I'm surprised hasn't received that Brandon Smith type deal. A shocking dummy half who refused to pass it, but a really effective runner. Had some errors in his game but it seemed like the game really started to play to his strengths.

Allan has some aspects of his game that are absolutely class but his general play was just always lacking. We also had the next GI in Alick but he just kept suffering injuries. We gave him a pre-season when Bennett arrived but it wasn't long before he suffered another season ender and that was his career.

Under 20s 2018

The Post-NYC years are difficult to track but this was my best guess at our spine. Allan was still with the Broncos but signed with Souths which essentially stalled his career otherwise he would have played NRL sooner. Paix/Boyd were impressive coming through but Boyd saw his future blocked at the Broncos and went to the Titans who signed him just to have him really. His game seemingly peaked in 2018. Kobe was a good talent, but his work around the ruck wasn't the best, the shift to 13 was a smart move and thankfully the modern game compensated for it.

Under 20s 2020

Birth by fire.

Under 20s 2022

At a guess? That's something that I'm worried about at the moment, the Broncos don't really have a squad for the best U/21s so it's feast or famine on a couple of players.

The TL;DR is that the Broncos have had plenty of talent come through, some of which should have enjoyed more success in the NRL but failed for one reason or another. The other is that they don't recruit enough which is where a team like the Roosters and Melbourne have enjoyed their success.

Gray has been impressive this year in MM. He's thriving with long direct ball from Mozer. Even Souths last game where I thought they were lucky to win he looked the most threatening. He's where Mam was 12 months ago so interesting to see what they do next.

I really wish we went for Berrell this year, he has been a late bloomer, was phenomenal in Q Cup last year.

Also, I'm still really surprised we let James go. He looked really promising last year as a potential organising halfback.

Gray has been impressive this year in MM. He's thriving with long direct ball from Mozer. Even Souths last game where I thought they were lucky to win he looked the most threatening. He's where Mam was 12 months ago so interesting to see what they do next.
I originally had Gray at 6. You're right he has a higher ceiling, I was just thinking if the 20s were still around he'd probably start the season in MM and try for a premiership with the Magpies before switching over.

It's way too early to call him a sure thing but if the Broncos and Magpies keep struggling it should only be a matter of time before he gets his shot in QCup. Whether it's at 1 or 6 will be the question.

Ezra is an exciting young player but I think this season is a better indication of him as a player. I think last year was a whirlwind and he was playing good footy on the back of it. It's a different ball-game to do that from Round 1 where every team is putting their best foot forward and they're not writing your team off on past performances.

Yeah, wasn't initially keen to get him back but totally agree with this. He's exactly what we need. A bit of spark and energy. We need to start looking elsewhere for spine players

Maybe we shouldn’t have let him go

we 1,000,000% should have ... completely wrong attitude when you are trying to rebuild a teams culture.

not to mention that it would have continued the trend from the previous 2 years that led us to the spoon

How does it make us look if we have to grovel too him and pay overs just to get him back? 😂

Who is the player you're talking about.....?

I still haven't watched the weekends game.

The call to sack Alfie afterwards, tells me all I needed to know........ 🙃

From what I have seen of Walsh.....and compared to what we have had at fullback, whoever from Brisbane thought it was a good decision to let him go...... needs a punch in the face.

So pre-NYC it was...

NYC 2008

NYC 2010

NYC 2012

NYC 2014

NYC 2016-17

Under 20s 2018

Under 20s 2020

Birth by fire.

Under 20s 2022

Nice read @Big Pete ...interesting to see the amount of failures vs. success stories from the players listed.

Gagai and Hunt to me are the real standouts and we never got the best of Gagai at the Broncos. You could make the argument Macca was a success due to the amount of games he played for us but for most of his career he divided opinion at best.

Norman was consistently inconsistent and other than his first game i would argue he had his best days out of Broncos colours. Hoffman and Beale were filler until something better came along and then became journeymen for the remainder of their careers. Maranta was a meme and Taylor left after 1 game. Kodi is probably my 3rd pick behind Hunt and Macca for Broncos value and in hindsight should have been looked after better.

Hetherington looks to be good and some hope for Paix, Mozer, Mam and Cobbo but based on history you wouldn't bet your life on all of them being as successful as we hope.

Of the 42 (i think) names you mentioned only having 2/3 real success stories at the Broncos really tells the tale of the tape for our performance over the last decade or so.

It would be interesting to see how those players stack up with the rest of the competition. I'm sure there are clubs that had better quality spine players come through but the Broncos would have to be right up there with consistently developing professional football spine players.

To me it suggests they're picking a lot of the best juniors but they're struggling with that transition from colts to NRL.

So pre-NYC it was...

NYC 2008

NYC 2010

NYC 2012

NYC 2014

NYC 2016-17

Under 20s 2018

Under 20s 2020

Birth by fire.

Under 20s 2022

Good read mate, another spine player that was left out was Carlin Anderson

Unread

Active Now

• UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • The Boss
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.