Unpopular Opinion: Boyd should go to Fullback

Okay before you go nuts, hear me out. I've been thinking about this since the last game and hearing Gal and Gus say it too helped re-iterate it to me, but I honestly think Darius Boyd is our best option at fullback right now and here is why.

1. Yes I know he offers nothing in attack apart from a 3 on 2 long pass which he gets wrong 20% of the time now.
2. Yes I know he offers nothing with his kick returns.
3. Yes I know when a forward breaks the line, he is not willing to put his body on the line and tackle them.

BUT

1. No other FB we have is a better passer than him. Yes they have better footwork but they haven't done anything with it (Milf last year, Issako and Nui this year).
2. Isaako's kick returns are better than Boyds, but Milf and Nui seem too small to really make an impact with their kick returns and rely on their footwork to go around defenders in which I haven't seen anything happen
3. And the whole not putting his body on the line thing? Okay this was when we all chucked out hands in the air last year and requested he moved from fullback because it's damn right embarrassing to see him fall over when a forward comes at him. But it only happened maybe 3 or 4 times last year. Now I'm not saying any of it is good, but hear me out.

PRO's

Our defensive line is better when he is at fullback. It does not seem like there is any communication going on in defense at the moment and it wasn't more obvious than that Tigers game. Sure the Eels and the Roosters putting that type of score on us is one thing because they are quality sides, but the Tigers abused us and our players were so much out of position it isn't funny. I can't help but think that Boyd would've actually got our players into a better defensive position and it wouldn't have been as bad.

Now I'm not saying he is the answer for us long term (obviously), but until Nui is more experienced vocally and is able to organise the defense, I think he is our best option. I've always liked Issako and he was quite solid defensively and very reliable under the high ball, but his attack is not better than Boyd's apart from his returns and he doesn't organise the defense as well.

Anyways, I am ready to be roasted but these are my thoughts in this desperate time.
Nothing wrong with the suggestion. It has merit for the reasons outlined. There is currently no better qualified in the roster and he doesn't have to learn the role. It allows others to be considered for centre. As for putting his body on the line, I personally never believed he didn't regardless of popular opinion.

Worth a shot at this point because we are way worse then we have ever been when he was there, I think Niu is still a bit raw for this level and needs more development.

Last edited:
Worth a shot at this point because we are way worse then we have ever been when he was there, I think Niu is still a bit raw for this level and needs more development.
Niu is out injured, Isaako is out and Milford, meh. Hasn't played there for years and years. It's a very reasonable suggestion.

Niu is out injured, Isaako is out and Milford, meh. Hasn't played there for years and years. It's a very reasonable suggestion.
Even still I think Niu shouldn't be back unless there is more backline injuries, he has the skills to be a fullback(alot of fitness and being in the right place etc) but I think it will wreck his development as a player if he plays out there when he isn't ready for that level yet.

Yep Nui isn't ready, he seems promising but injury aside he needs more time before he's a starter.

I agree with you 061ang, it's worth a shot putting Boyd back at fullback, it's not like we can get worse. I think he'd be better at fullback directing from the back, he's basically our last truly senior player that's going to play a full match at the moment. I honestly think dropping him completely and having more youth on the field is exactly the opposite of what we need to do. They have no resilience whatsoever; they get rattled so quickly it's mind boggling to me. I didn't get a lack of care factor from Boyd last week either, I think he seemed just genuinely confused by what was transpiring in front of him. More like, what happened to everything we worked on this week why is it going out the window?

At the end of the day whilst his defence isn't stellar it is better than what it was last year, and you'd hope that would translate if he got moved back to fullback. I'm not that keen to see Milf at fullback, I'd prefer someone average organising us back there rather than someone that turns up for 5 minutes to try and justify his existence on the team and then fades out.

Boyd is done. In terms of his football ability, he isnt offering a great deal. The thing we have to weigh up now is will he at least benefit the team in the of organisation in defence. Its probably the only part of his game that wouldn't have declined at fullback. I do think its a sound idea, but I'm still not convinced we can carry him.

Boyd is done. In terms of his football ability, he isnt offering a great deal. The thing we have to weigh up now is will he at least benefit the team in the of organisation in defence. Its probably the only part of his game that wouldn't have declined at fullback. I do think its a sound idea, but I'm still not convinced we can carry him.

We're carrying him till the end of the season one way or the other. Put him back where he might do some good (even if it's taking the focus off the rest of the team). We don't have a lot of back up options though. We need a real centre in that spot but not sure who that is.

Yep Nui isn't ready, he seems promising but injury aside he needs more time before he's a starter.

I agree with you 061ang, it's worth a shot putting Boyd back at fullback, it's not like we can get worse. I think he'd be better at fullback directing from the back, he's basically our last truly senior player that's going to play a full match at the moment. I honestly think dropping him completely and having more youth on the field is exactly the opposite of what we need to do. They have no resilience whatsoever; they get rattled so quickly it's mind boggling to me. I didn't get a lack of care factor from Boyd last week either, I think he seemed just genuinely confused by what was transpiring in front of him. More like, what happened to everything we worked on this week why is it going out the window?

At the end of the day whilst his defence isn't stellar it is better than what it was last year, and you'd hope that would translate if he got moved back to fullback. I'm not that keen to see Milf at fullback, I'd prefer someone average organising us back there rather than someone that turns up for 5 minutes to try and justify his existence on the team and then fades out.
I don't think for a moment he is done or cooked or whatever other inventive slur people come up with. He's one of our better performed players this season and I've had no issues with his contributions. Last week behind the posts he was filmed not speaking and with a bewildered look. He's no longer the captain and no matter his actions, he will be castigated.

Imagine if he was screaming at his fellow players? BHQ response: fucking Boyd, he should look at his own performance first.
If he spoke quietly and forcefully?
BHQ response: fucking Boyd, undermining Carrigan in front of the guys, why doesn't he shut up? he's not the captain anymore, if anybody should be talking it's Patty(cockgobbling sounds)
If Boyd dared move his arms while addressing his fellow players?
BHQ response: fucking Boyd, waving his arms about like yada yada yada plus all the other above abuse.

****, it's time you all give it a rest on Boyd and pay some fucking respect to a man in his last ever season as a Bronco. He's sweated more blood for the Bronco's than all bhq combined. He's not solely responsible for the current woes and of those woes his play makes up a minute portion.

Respect. Time for a few of you to show some.

Last edited:
I don't think for a moment he is done or cooked or whatever other inventive slur people come up with. He's one of our better performed players this season and I've had no issues with his contributions. Last week behind the posts he was filmed not speaking and with a bewildered look. He's no longer the captain and no matter his actions, he will be castigated.

Imagine if he was screaming at his fellow players? BHQ response: fucking Boyd, he should look at his own performance first.
If he spoke quietly and forcefully?
BHQ response: fucking Boyd, undermining Carrigan in front of the guys, why doesn't he shut up? he's not the captain anymore, if anybody should be talking it's Patty(cockgobbling sounds)
If Boyd dared move his arms while addressing his fellow players?
BHQ response: fucking Boyd, waving his arms about like yada yada yada plus all the other above abuse.

****, it's time you all give it a rest on Boyd and pay some fucking respect to a man in his last ever season as a Bronco. He's sweated more blood for the Bronco's than all bhq combined. He's not solely responsible for the current woes and of those woes his play makes up a minute portion.

Respect. Time for a few of you to show some.
no

Fine. I'm old school. Respect is something earned and Boyd has earned it whether you agree or otherwise.
i respect his overall career. i think he has been largely carried the last 18 months (and I know you disagree so happy to leave it here) to the detriment of his own legacy.

Couple of points I think have been missed.

1. Believe it or not Boyd has been one of few players consistently trying hard this year he just sucks at centre.

He is one of the best kick chasers. Hits it up (too) willingly and is often one of the tacklers hitting a front rower off the kick off.

I don't think his defensive deficiencies at fullback would still be there now.

2. I'm not sure we have a better option at centre. Try Arthars again? Maybe try Fifita once all our forwards are back?

Farnsworth has been worse at CTR imo.

1. Believe it or not Boyd has been one of few players consistently trying hard this year he just sucks at centre.

He is one of the best kick chasers. Hits it up (too) willingly and is often one of the tacklers hitting a front rower off the kick off.

2. I'm not sure we have a better option at centre. Try Arthars again? Maybe try Fifita once all our forwards are back?

Obviously you can see things as they are currently. We had a porous middle last year but agenda driven posters consistently overlooked that fact and kept banging on about Boyd not making the last tackle. If anyone on here thinks that will improve with Milford I'd be stunned but I'm sure there'll be some. I don't see a place in the team for Milford other than as super sub, bench role. I could use him as a dummy half in attack I suppose but I'd have to hide him somewhere in defence, fucked if I know where though. Truthfully I wouldn't pick him at all. If he was prepared to put his body in front I wouldn't be concerned but he is dreadful that way. Perhaps I could get Toovey and Alf to tutor him privately.

My problem with Boyd is that we didn't sign him to be a centre.

We signed him to lead a young team, to inspire and help organise, not be competent at tackling front row forwards or carting the ball one out, always making a beeline for the middle of the park. Maybe he wants to play prop?

His play in general is ok. I have acknowledged that here often. What gets me though is that he won't extend himself outside his little bubble of competence. I want to see more from the most experienced, highly decorated FB and leader in the side, one of past best players, not an ordinary team member who just goes with the flow, or rather, down the gurgler and doesn't do much about it except look lost.

I expected more from Boyd, but then Wayne isn't here. I wonder if that has something to do with things? It doesn't really matter. I find him limp as a leader, and that brings the team down when he should be lifting the team .... despite his tackling front rowers (which is does really well).
[automerge]1595334915[/automerge]
Obviously you can see things as they are currently. We had a porous middle last year but agenda driven posters consistently overlooked that fact and kept banging on about Boyd not making the last tackle. If anyone on here thinks that will improve with Milford I'd be stunned but I'm sure there'll be some. I don't see a place in the team for Milford other than as super sub, bench role. I could use him as a dummy half in attack I suppose but I'd have to hide him somewhere in defence, fucked if I know where though. Truthfully I wouldn't pick him at all. If he was prepared to put his body in front I wouldn't be concerned but he is dreadful that way. Perhaps I could get Toovey and Alf to tutor him privately.

Mate I don't see a place for Boyd either as per my post above. I'd take Milford over Boyd any day however, let's just agree to disagree here.

Last edited:
What White said when Boyd was re-signed (not as a centre and non-captain) :

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/10/26/boyd-re-signs/

"“Darius has very quickly established himself as the leader of our club, and having him commit to another four years is a major statement on his intentions to finish the job he has started as captain,” said White.

"“Darius has developed his maturity and leadership qualities both on and off the field, and we are all really proud of the work he continues to do in those areas."

"Coach Wayne Bennett said: “It goes without saying the playing ability that Darius brings to the team but he also provides a heap of stability to the club and that shouldn’t be understated.”

Maybe it's me but I am not seeing much of the above on the field this year, or last year for that matter. And if anyone is going to whinge about Milford, then you can't not whinge equally about Boyd ... And of course, it is all Seibold's fault

Last edited:

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Wolfie
  • Browny
  • RolledOates
  • phoenix
  • NSW stables
  • sooticus
  • Mr Fourex
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.